Lions @ Riders, Pre Game Odds and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Riders favoured by 1.5 over the Lions. Seems about right.

We might be a bit ripe for a setback. It's hard to maintain the high level of intensity we have had with our backs to the wall.

Mosaic is always a tough place to get a win for the visiting team.

But we are certainly capable of getting that win.

Should be a barn burner, in the Banjo capital. :wink:
dpoe
Starter

Can't see why the Riders should be favored...

Lions in a cakewalk 41 - 16.

Durant will return to his usual colorblind ways when he's hurried by the Lions' D. IMO he didn't look particularly impressive against a weak TO Defense.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm really looking forward to this one. IMO, there are so many more reasons why the Riders NEED this win (not that the Lions don't). They trail the Lions by 2pts and are down a win in the season series too. So, this is a big one for them and therefore the Lions too (just not quite as much).

I hope our D-line gets the same kind of pressure that they've been getting on the Rider Oline. Pressure makes QB's made mistakes (even Cavillo) and I want to see Durant under pressure. Then again, a Durant under pressure may make good use of those legs, so it could be tough regardless. I want our recievers to keep up what they've been doing too. I think the Lions will win but regardless I'm looking forward to it. Even if the Riders win, I know they'll deserve it. There have been some Lions losses where their opponents were not playing that great either. The west is heating up and at least one of the current winning streaks is coming to an end. A game like this ending in a tie certainly would make things interesting but I'd much rather see the Lions win.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This could be a tough one as the Bombers found out recently.

I like how the Lions are playing now and would love to see them lay a beating on the Riders but those guys seem to be on a roll.

Now that they got their coach back - they too must have a secret players council led by Durant - they are on fire.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling about this one............
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I have a feeling about this one............
that tonights gonna be a good night? then again its an afternoon game, IIRC. Whats your feeling????
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Only Monday and already can't wait for this one.

Should be lots of work at practice this week with the silent snap count as Mosiac will be a hornet's nest. Good news is Lulay dealt with it in last year's playoff game and played well. Fantuz looks to be doubtful with an apparent ankle sprain. Dressler has always been a Lion killer. Does Banks draw that assignment or his former teammate who faced him so many years on the practice field?

Il like the idea of P-Jack drawing in for an unproductive Nick Moore but hopefully Johnson's shoulder is healthy enough to get the green light as his speed provides a different dimension to the receiving core and will stretch the Riders secondary. Lions have been great against the run for most of this win streak and a key will be shutting down Cates and leaving Durant with a lot of second and long situations.

Buzz around the Lions office is a win on Saturday could lead to a sellout on Sept. 30.
swervynmerv
Legend

A chance for the Lions to put some space between them and the Riders and give the Riders playoff hopes a blow. The Riders will play four of their next six after this game on the road so a loss at home will make it tough on them to make the playoffs in the West.

If the Lions play like they have, they should win, especially if they convert in the red zone.

Watch for the following things though as they always drive me nuts when the Riders play:

1. The refs. I think they get intimidated by the crowd at Mosaic.
2. How often do the Rider recievers go offside? It looks like it every play. Maybe I'm still sore from the Fantuz off-side on Clermont's winning TD last year!
3. How often does their O-line get called for holding? Durant will get tons of time and scramble but there is almost never a holding call.

P.S. If you haven't guessed I hate "Canada's Team" as they so smuggly call themselves!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Playo ... story.html
“Every week, we have to bring our ‘A’ game because of the massive hole we dug ourselves early on,’’ said Roughriders guard Gene Makowsky, whose team has rebounded from a 1-7 start.

“We have to approach it like we have to get it (on Saturday). That’s probably going to be the case for the rest of the year.’’
The Roughriders can maintain control of their destiny if they can cool off the Lions, who are making a second-half charge for the second successive season. In 2010, B.C. started at 1-7 before winning seven of its next 10 games to secure third place. The Lions then faced Saskatchewan, which posted a 41-38 overtime victory in the West semifinal.

This time around, the Roughriders would like to emulate the 2010 Lions, save for the playoff result.
“We’ve put ourselves in a position where we at least have a chance at the playoffs now, so I guess that’s encouraging,’’ Makowsky said. “At one point early in the year, that seemed like a pipe dream. We’ll see what we do with it.’’
Not quite bulletin board material. No Nik Lewis to liven up the pre game atmosphere.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dressler is a talented receiver but he hasn't done much against the Lions in the past few seasons. The keys to the game will be turnovers, as always, and preventing big plays by the Saskatchewan receivers. The one who scares me the most is Getzlaf, who has had a problem with drops this year but also caught 7 passes for 170 yards against Toronto on the weekend, including a 27-yard touchdown and a 64-yarder that set up Saskatchewan's only other offensive touchdown. Getzlaf should be matched up most of the day against Durant's nemesis, Ryan Phillips. That match-up could determine the outcome of the game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I just hope the Lions don't resort back to playing Chapball. It will probably be windy in Regina and we need to run the ball.
Blitz
Team Captain

The Riders will be a tough team to play on Friday...as soon as Miller came back as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator...those same Rider players started 'executing' like hell!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

If our defense can keep playing well I believe we'll beat them. However, its a renewed Durrant, who is not leashed to the pocket and is running the kind of plays he has a high comfort level with and Fantuz;s return gives him a posssession receiver who is very tough to cover.

I wonder if Moore will be given another start or if we will finally use Jackson/Innannuzi in that spot. Hameister-Rees must also be set to return to the lineup.

Its going to be an interesting week. Smith has really stepped up his play as soon as we got Rajon Henly signed.

Calgary was on a winning streak when we played them and the Riders have put two good games together.

We'll need to play the same kind of road game that we played against Calgary..rock solid defense, an effective run game, and offensive play calling that keeps the Riders defense guessing and on their toes (and hopefully their heels too)
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
almo89
Legend

Durant is the wildcard that kinda scares me right now. When the pocket collapses, he's pretty dangerous because he can create something out of nothing. What will be interesting to see is how Lulay and of the offense will do against Hall's defense. Guilio said earlier when the Riders were struggling that the Riders don't have the horses to run Hall's defense. Well for the past few weeks, it looks like their defense has improved. It will be a tough game. The Riders always seem to play us tough no matter what the standings are in previous years
Lance-sask
prospect

Im a Rider fan and, of course am cheering for the Riders this weekend. Would I bet the house on this game? Not on your life. Both teams are surging and have alot of early-season deficiencies they need to make up for. Both teams are also playing better than either Calgary or Edmonton lately (generally speaking).

The only thing I WILL say about this upcoming game is that it will be THE game to watch. I expect it will go down to the final seconds. Cheers.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:The Riders will be a tough team to play on Friday...as soon as Miller came back as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator...those same Rider players started 'executing' like hell!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

If our defense can keep playing well I believe we'll beat them. However, its a renewed Durrant, who is not leashed to the pocket and is running the kind of plays he has a high comfort level with and Fantuz;s return gives him a posssession receiver who is very tough to cover.

I wonder if Moore will be given another start or if we will finally use Jackson/Innannuzi in that spot. Hameister-Rees must also be set to return to the lineup.

Its going to be an interesting week. Smith has really stepped up his play as soon as we got Rajon Henly signed.

Calgary was on a winning streak when we played them and the Riders have put two good games together.

We'll need to play the same kind of road game that we played against Calgary..rock solid defense, an effective run game, and offensive play calling that keeps the Riders defense guessing and on their toes (and hopefully their heels too)
The Lions don't have a chance Friday; the Riders will murder them on Friday. lions win on Saturday though. :wink: :yahoo: