Buono's team-building strategy is collapsing, Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Picking up other team's discards.

As the losses have piled up, Wally seems to have lost confidence in his own ability to assess talent. Two plus losing seasons now, and he has gone from a coach who wanted to develop his own players to one who feels other teams have better personnel.

Now he picks up players from other teams. Good players, but the culture is mixed. They are not all getting on the same page. They are veterans, with their own ideas and habits.

Keron Williams.

Eric Taylor.

Anton McKenzie.

Jamal Robertson.

Davis Sanchez.

Ben Archibald.

Jesse Newman.

Jerome Dennis.

Kamau Peterson.

Joe McGrath.

Jonathan Brown last year.

J.R. Larose.

J.R. Ruffin.

Tad Kornegay.

That is a lot of players picked up from other teams.

Failed judgments of his own players:

Tad Crawford

David Hyland (who might have had sufficient talent, but was played in the wrong position)

Gary Butler

Ryan Grice-Mullin ... IMO

Robert Jordan

Davis Sanchez at safety

Jason Arakgi at safety

Dropson Collins

J.R. LaRose as being healthy enough to play

Dean Valli at centre

Walter Stith and two or three other projects whose names fail me

Caesar Rayford

O Line schmozzle last year

Three we had that we let go

Markeith Knowlton ... Most valuable defensive player in the league honours. We traded him for a draft pick which became Christie Buono's discovery, Rolly Lumbala.

Jamall Johnson ... Heat seeking missile as a LB. We would accept him back only for STs, even though he wanted to come back here. We valued Javy Glatt more as a LB, despite much slower speed, much weaker tackling, and much poorer run stopping instincts.

Ricky Foley ... He wanted to come back here. He even agreed to come back here. We let him walk. He is not exactly popular with some fans here, but we could certainly use his speed, his pass rush pressure, his all field hustle, his high energy motor, and his birth certificate. He never seemed like Wally's kind of player.

An unsettling culture where a Players' Council has undue influence on personnel matters, and even coaching matters.

Schemes that are changed eventually, slowly, but ineffectually.

We finally decide to use a running game. Too little.
Too late.

We go from a dink and dunk passing game to a bombs away passing game, with little sense of down and yardage and context of the game.

We abortively switch from a 4.3 defence to a 3.4 defence, and now back to a 4.3 again.

More importantly, we belatedly decide to apply lots of pressure at the LOS with overloads and blitzes, and see it works pretty well against the Bombers.

We do not address the failures to tackle in the secondary in all the years of Mike Benevides "stewardship" of the defence. We finally decide to do some form tackling drills at practice. IMO the tackling efforts by the DBs were better against the Bombers, but some weaknesses in the coverage were exposed.

We fail to make a smooth transition in our receiver personnel over the years. We do not develop Shawn Gore beginning last year. Instead we throw him to the wolves all at once this year. We cast our lot with an athlete, Dopson Colllins, who has serious problems catching the ball. With Paris Jackson limping through last year and this, we do not anticipate and make a smooth transition there.

We do not have well planned plays for special situations at game end. It just seems we make desperation long throws.

The Bombers notice a weakness in our blocking schemes which they exploit with delayed blitzes.

Our players are trying hard. Our coaches are trying hard. But the many changes in personnel have not jelled, and may never work together smoothly. We do not have that fine tuning in the game plans and play calling that allow us to take advantage of minute weaknesses in the opponents structure and scheme.

IMO this is all about coaching. IMO the level of coaching has risen dramatically with the arrival of Marc Trestman, John Hufnagel, Kent Austin/Ken Miller, and now Kavis Reed and Paul LaPolice. (These are all Xs and Os guys as Head Coaches).

The old ways that were so successful for Wally Buono for so many years are now outmatched. We are constantly out-schemed, out-motivated and out coached. Countless times over the last two plus years Wally has even said post game that we were out coached.

Can we turn it around and get some wins, and even make the playoffs? Sure. Our talent still seems good, with some weaknesses (defensive secondary and receivers). The effort is there. But after two losing seasons, and the start to this year, it just looks like time has caught up to Wally Buono, and the coaches he relies upon for the Xs and Os.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Can't add much to that post except to reaffirm that Lions need a HC and assistants change for next year regardless of how the rest of the season unfolds.
swervynmerv
Legend

I have to laugh at Wally. Talking to Moj on the Team 1040 this morning he said that the Lions haven't gotten a that break that would enable them to win.

Let's see. In 4 of 5 games, BC had a chance to win in the dying minutes:

1. vs. Montreal, Wally admittedly blows the call and kicks a FG instead of gambling on third down. Montreal runs out the clock and Lions lose. :wag:

2. vs. Calgary, Burris mishandles a handoff to Renyolds and we recover for a chance at the winning drive. Instead of driving down the field, we throw long bombs and don't convert our "break" into a winning TD. :bang:

3. vs. Hamilton. We still have a chance in the dying seconds despite giving up a late Avon Coburne TD. Lulay is unable to complete a simple out pattern to Gore and overthrows him.

4. vs. Winnipeg. The Bombers lose their starting QB after a huge hit by Sol E. I consider that a "break". The Riders took advantage of the Alouettes when Calvillo went down and won a game, the Lions couldn't. Our D falls asleep and lets Brink run the ball like he is doug Flutie and the Bombers get the winning TD. Despite all that, we still have a chance to drive for the winning TD. Lulay misses a wide open Peterson and then Gore drops a pass that a high school player would make. I realize that a flag should have been thrown on Geroy, but that play becomes huge because of the previous two poor plays.

Excuses, excuses, excuses Wally. 0-5 to start this year and 1-12 to start the last two seasons. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Gosh, WCJ, that's awfully pessimistic. And you wouldn't want to be accused of being a pessimist, would you?

This has been a long, slow decline masked by the fact that from 2005-2007 we amassed an amazing amount of talent that lapped our shortcomings by a mile.

I don't know that picking up guys from other teams is as bad of a thing as you seem to think, but the emphasis should always be on developing our own guys.

One quibble with Jamal Johnson, I loved the guy when he was here as much as you did, and Javi was always playing out of position, but JJ had an injury problem that people now seem to gloss over.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Gosh, WCJ, that's awfully pessimistic. And you wouldn't want to be accused of being a pessimist, would you?
LOL Yeah, cro, there I go again with that negativism. Somehow it continues to seem to me like realism. Without my orange coloured glasses, however, I don't have so much football rage. It is more of a spectacle, to watch and even enjoy. The game was exciting and hard hitting. Oh yeah, we lost again.
I don't know that picking up guys from other teams is as bad of a thing as you seem to think, but the emphasis should always be on developing our own guys.
I don't really mind it so much. It is just that with the mix of guys from other teams, you get an uncertain culture. And IMO it shows a belated change in philosophy by Wally, from developing his own guys to bringing in other teams developed guys.
One quibble with Jamal Johnson, I loved the guy when he was here as much as you did, and Javi was always playing out of position, but JJ had an injury problem that people now seem to gloss over.
Javy was definitely out of position. Outside LB was his spot. And he was given favoured status IMO. Javy was a very serviceable player. And now he is gone too.

I don't think Jamall was injured for the many years we had him either. He was always underutilized from the time Javy "beat him out" for middle linebacker.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's too early in the season to be writing this team off. They were a play or two away from winning or tying four of their last five games in the dying minutes, despite a lot of individual breakdowns.

I expected the offence to be exciting but inconsist due to inexperience of Lulay and his young receivers. Lulay is squeezing the ball and putting too much pressure on himself in the dying minutes. He's a fierce competitor but just needs to relax a bit, but that's a tough lesson to learn. I look forward to watching Lulay, Gore, Foster, Harris and Brown grow. This is the most exciting B.C. offence I've seen in many years.

I didn't expect the veteran secondary to be so vulnerable. Clearly Hyland didn't fit on the wide side and Sanchez didn't fit there or at safety. Opponents know that. It's sad because Sanchez was one of their best defensive players before being injured last year. I expect that he will be the first casualty to clear cap space for Tad Kornegay.

I haven't reduced my expectations. Psychologically, this team needs a break to start believing in itself. If it catches that break, it can turn the season around in a hurry. The talent level is there.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I haven't reduced my expectations. Psychologically, this team needs a break to start believing in itself. If it catches that break, it can turn the season around in a hurry. The talent level is there.
Two easy wins in preseason. Seemed promising.

I don't think I ever ventured a guess at win/loss record. But the standard of coaching is so much higher now IMO. The focus and intention of the franchises has risen. Suddenly we are the "weak sister" in the league.

In retrospect I might have thought 9 and 9 was a realistic guess/hope for the year. Based on talent. Scheme changes announced. Re-energized and focused Wally. Hopes for Lulay. Many reasons for hope in the off season. But it wasn't lack of effort that has been missing. It was that IMO the level of competition just made it harder to compete.

Now, we would have to go 9 and 4 to reach a .500 season.

Still, I agree that we could turn it around somewhat. I agree the talent is good (with some weaknesses in the secondary and the receivers corps). We might salvage the year to some extent as we did last year. This might happen as our players gradually make internal adjustments to what they experience on the field (They learn to make the system work, through their own professional instincts). The effort is there. The winning culture is not there.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I haven't reduced my expectations. Psychologically, this team needs a break to start believing in itself. If it catches that break, it can turn the season around in a hurry. The talent level is there.
Two easy wins in preseason. Seemed promising.

I don't think I ever ventured a guess at win/loss record. But the standard of coaching is so much higher now IMO. The focus and intention of the franchises has risen. Suddenly we are the "weak sister" in the league.

In retrospect I might have thought 9 and 9 was a realistic guess/hope for the year. Based on talent. Scheme changes announced. Re-energized and focused Wally. Hopes for Lulay. Many reasons for hope in the off season. But it wasn't lack of effort that has been missing. It was that IMO the level of competition just made it harder to compete.

Now, we would have to go 9 and 4 to reach a .500 season.

Still, I agree that we could turn it around somewhat. I agree the talent is good (with some weaknesses in the secondary and the receivers corps). We might salvage the year to some extent as we did last year. This might happen as our players gradually make internal adjustments to what they experience on the field (They learn to make the system work, through their own professional instincts). The effort is there. The winning culture is not there.
This
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I am starting to get the impression that the better coaching staffs (Edm, Win, Ham) are catching up to the innovations brought in by the best coaching staffs (Mtl, Cal). Heck they may well have caught up already.

Not enough information yet to determine how Toronto and Saskatchewan will do this year.

Has B.C. caught up? Have we even noticed the changes? Can somebody show Wally how to work the headset?

We're trying. But years of rust gathering have taken their toll.

Wally is reluctantly allowing Benevides to blitz more. Had some success with it against Winnipeg. We've gone back to a 4.3 defence which makes sense, since we were reluctant to blitz in the 3.4. LOL We still do not pressure in our pass coverage. Always soft.

Wally has Jacques running the ball more. "No. No," pleads Jacques. But Wally actually likes a running game. So we are getting one back.

It seems in an attempt at change, we have gone to a vertical passing game. At any time in the game. Even when we only need 5 yards. It's a head shaker.

We are trying to adjust. But the competition is so tough now. Just since 2007 with the arrival of Kent Austin (since departed). And 2008 with the arrival of John Hufnagel and Marc Trestman. And now with Kavis Reed and Paul LaPolice. These are all innovative coaches, with a mastery of the Xs and Os, and abilities to motivate players. We are behind the 8 ball, now desperately trying to catch up. "How are they doing that?" "Why can't we execute?" "This scheme used to work. It worked for years and years."
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There is an arrogance in this coaching staff that was fine when they had the talent and the D. Ritchie coached defense.

What I have never liked about Wally in BC is his way of dissing players and his 'my job is to find a guy to replace you' vs the kind of coaches who put in place performance oriented cultures where you are accountable for your play and you always know exactly where you stand with the coach. You are given an honest assessment of what you are doing and need to do and as long as you do it you don't have to be looking over your shoulder or being dumped just for the sake of being dumped.

How many guys during the Lions good years were gone with fans having to speculate as to why - like Joe Smith.

How many coaches gone who seemed to favour balanced offenses? Buratto, Baresi, Kruck. Assistants will come and go but with the Wally era it is how they leave and what is said. Bur - not on same page. Kruck - need a stronger coach. But with Kruck he is NOT replaced. Just JC takes on more and more.
Benevides says that this year all coaches are on the same page as even last year not all coaches agreed with the rest of them. Now they got all gone that weren't all in synch with the others. Where are the other coaches? All doing okay. Kruck is looking like a hero with the Esks receivers whereas here in BC he was the victim of the players council - so it seems.

Does it make sense for the coach to to be saying about his receivers - PJackson and K. Peterson that he needs to phase them out? How many businesses are successful where the boss has that view of his people and stops inviting people to meetings (angus reid the year he was to dumped for Valli - Brent Johnson - yet these guys never get phased out as they cant get better guys - so why diss them?) One of the things said this week about Richard Harris was how nice a man he was but also how he'd tell you exactly where you stood or what you had to do. No wonder he was a survivor and got a promotion in Wpg as that is what the best coaches do.

Esks got off to a great start as their coaches are all together. Listen to Reed as to how he evaluates Crandell and says he is inclusive of his other coaches where with Wally it is the JC show and all others shut up. What team has coaches forced to the booth (Lions) due to the players? JC and the council of receivers did it twice - buratto then kruck. Trestman did not last year dump his guy when the other guy came back from the NFL. All this is good for a team.

Now they got the culture they wanted and built. You got a great young QB in Lulay and he is looking more and more ineffective as JC decides he is the new gunslinger. JC gets in ruts in play calling and is not helping this guy be successful.

I like how Lulay is unphased but with the right coaching and some earlier balance in offense they should have won some of these games.
Next fans and media will turn on Lulay but this year I am not sure that Jackson is ready to play like we know he can. He sure looked unprepared in preseason and no reps won't help.

This culture is making their players all look bad and all underperform. Time for Wally to admit he and his coaches are failing the team, the owners and their fans.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wish we would stop talking about how talented the Lions are. Right now, they're not. They're winless. The team is in disarray. Poor coaching decisions, inability to finish drives, inability to tackle. Lack of imagination on defence and offence.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

More insights into how bereft of thought this Lions staff have.

Not even IF Kornegay fits in. Welcome to BC....

Leos a Tad unsure where former Rider will play here

By MIKE BEAMISH, The Vancouver Sun July 29, 2011 10:08 PM

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Leos ... z1TZBEHXPN

"I don't know," Buono admitted Friday, when asked where he expects the former Saskatchewan Roughrider to line up. "We have to see how, where and if he fits."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Leos ... z1TZBKmYfH

What do his ex team have to say of TG:

A lot better things Wally does and this guy has to play for the Lions...loll:

But Craig Smith, assistant GM of the Roughriders, has little doubt that Kornegay can make a difference to the Lions, despite being released by his football organization.

"He's very, very versatile," Smith said of the 29-year-old defensive back/linebacker. "Cornerback, halfback, nickelback, linebacker, he can play them all. I think he'll end up somewhere in the back end with B.C. He's a great kid, very athletic, a team leader."

So why release a player who was part of the Roughriders' 2007 Grey Cup championship season and played on the losing side in 2009 and 2010?

"It's not a question of, 'Why would another team pick him up, when he wasn't good enough for the Roughriders?'" Smith said. "It doesn't mean this guy is a bad player. It's just a football decision, where a coach thinks one guy can play a position better than the next guy. It all depends on the situation. The [defensive] scheme kind of replaced Tad in Saskatchewan."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Leos ... z1TZBXhgqy
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:I have to laugh at Wally. Talking to Moj on the Team 1040 this morning he said that the Lions haven't gotten a that break that would enable them to win.
Good teams make their own breaks
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:"I don't know," Buono admitted Friday, when asked where he expects the former Saskatchewan Roughrider to line up. "We have to see how, where and if he fits."
Translation?

"We'll have to see how pissed off Korey will be at being moved from nickel to halfback."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:"I don't know," Buono admitted Friday, when asked where he expects the former Saskatchewan Roughrider to line up. "We have to see how, where and if he fits."
Translation?

"We'll have to see how pissed off Korey will be at being moved from nickel to halfback."

DH :cool:
Translation 2?

"Did Tad remember to bring his Rider playbook?"
Entertainment value = an all time low