Lions add Jerome Dennis, release Hyland

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

joe kapp22 wrote:
Anglophone wrote:What.

This came as a complete surprise to me. Yes, he had issues with hitting, but I assumed the club would take leniency because of the position change.
Really liked Dave Hyland's game, did not wish to see this happen, however Wally MUST create more accountability on the team.

To me though, the Wr's corps should also fall under the sword as they have played worse, for longer, then Hyland who had a bad game but was normally a good player.
I agree with accountability, but why ignore the vets who constantly make bad mistakes? From rookies you can expect them to make mistakes, but when guys like Dante Marsh and Ryan Phillips mess up and refuse to tackle there's a problem.

I can't remember the last time Ryan Phillips tackled someone on his own to be honest.
Roar you Lions roar!
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, you have to start somewhere I suppose, Hyland for Dennis was seen as a net plus, and Hyland had a bad game vs the Esks, they probably did this to see how the team reacts.

We come out v the tiCats and look unprepared again, then larger changes would be in order I'd think.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

joe kapp22 wrote:

This came as a complete surprise to me. Yes, he had issues with hitting, but I assumed the club would take leniency because of the position change.
Really liked Dave Hyland's game, did not wish to see this happen, however Wally MUST create more accountability on the team.

To me though, the Wr's corps should also fall under the sword as they have played worse, for longer, then Hyland who had a bad game but was normally a good player.
Excellent defensive player except for one minor flaw; he can't tackle.
Spud387
Champion

He seemed to be very good at safety, but we are set at sticking a NI in that spot. Hyland will be missed at he did created some great hits, but tackling was definitely an issue.
Bosco
Team Captain

Wonder if Hyland was also cut as a "message" to the rest of the team - especially the veterans?

Regards
Derrick Armstrong
jrower
Rookie

The_Pauser wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote:

I agree with accountability, but why ignore the vets who constantly make bad mistakes? From rookies you can expect them to make mistakes, but when guys like Dante Marsh and Ryan Phillips mess up and refuse to tackle there's a problem.

I can't remember the last time Ryan Phillips tackled someone on his own to be honest.
Yes, but you can't cut veterans because you knowwhat they are capable of and so do they. You can trust in them to produce. You never know when young players will start really producing.

That said, Hyland reaggravated an abdominal injury. I have a feeling that it put him to the top of the list for release to make room for veterans to come in and join the team. He should have a great career, and some of it may be with BC again. Just wait and see. He is still young, but I wouldn't expect his release to hurt us this year. And who knows what would have happened with contracts in the next years anyway. I do wish him luck in his career though.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Thought Pasquale may have cut Marsh after calling him out on TSN at half time

Hyland out and Dennis in is just a tradeoff....both were under performing. If we pick up Kornegay, expect a big name to be let go
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Thought Pasquale may have cut Marsh after calling him out on TSN at half time

Hyland out and Dennis in is just a tradeoff....both were under performing. If we pick up Kornegay, expect a big name to be let go
Actually, Ruffin will be taking Hyland's (Franks') place. I believe Dennis was brought in to light a fire under Reddick who has a hairline fracture in his forearm. Classic case of player doesn't think he's ready, club does. Player doesn't usually win in that scenario.

Agree about Kornegay. Per Brendan Taman, he's got a big salary. Wally won't sign him without taking a high priced veteran off the roster. Wow! There'll be more desperation in the air Friday night than Andrew Dice Clay's comeback tour.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
jrower
Rookie

David wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Thought Pasquale may have cut Marsh after calling him out on TSN at half time

Actually, Ruffin will be taking Hyland's (Franks') place. I believe Dennis was brought in to light a fire under Reddick who has a hairline fracture in his forearm. Classic case of player doesn't think he's ready, club does. Player doesn't usually win in that scenario.

Agree about Kornegay. Per Brendan Taman, he's got a big salary. Wally won't sign him without taking a high priced veteran off the roster. Wow! There'll be more desperation in the air Friday night than Andrew Dice Clay's comeback tour.

DH :cool:
We will have to see who gets the start. The roster as it stands has Dennis on the active list and Ruffin on the practice roster. However, that could just be because Ruffin was signed to a practice roster spot. I guess we will know on Friday.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Wonder if Hyland was also cut as a "message" to the rest of the team - especially the veterans?

Regards
Derrick Armstrong
Thats what I was wondering too. Last season we were struggling with our o-line; so lets cut Armstrong cuz he's not making the plays he should be....
Anglophone
All Star

I'm still certain there was more to the Armstrong story than we were told. Considering the fact that he didn't really fare any better after leaving (escaping?) our o-line/schemes, I don't think he was nearly as good as he was expected to be.
ziggy
Legend

I liked Hyland, we needed some physical play in our secondary and he brought it. He did have a problem tackling but then again...........
joe kapp22
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
joe kapp22 wrote:

Excellent defensive player except for one minor flaw; he can't tackle.
Eh, tried to punish more then tackle, gambled a bit as well and they were not paying off.

Seemed like a good dude to, hope he resurfaces.

Keep in mind what Nik Lewis said on his long TD run :"I saw that he was going to come in low"

Which was a complaint about our Defence last season iirc, Wr's know to look for it and it is leading to some big plays.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Hyland's release not a major surprise. Too many missed tackles and too slow to play defensive half.
Some big hits. Some huge misses going back to the miss on Clermont last year.

I agree that Hyland is just too slow to play halfback in this league. The receivers are just too quick. IMO Hyland would have needed a motorcycle to stay with Stamps. (Ruffin or Dennis should be adequate there).

The safety position can "hide" a guy without major league speed, but it tends to be reserved for a Non Import this year. LaRose found wanting. Arakgi found more wanting. Hopefully Sanchez can make the transition.

Khreem Smith still getting a long look at rush end/defensive end. Still looks like a possible switch to more 4 - 3 defence, and less 3 - 4 defence.

Hmmmm ... lots of instability on defence. Thankfully IMO our front seven have played fairly well. Played hard. Little or no pass rush pressure from the 3 - 4 however. Even in the 4 - 3, without a stud like Cam Wake, we need to blitz more. The problem is the timing of the blitz. Offences have been occupying Korey Banks in one on one coverage, basically taking away his big playmaking ability.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Why is that BC can't seem to develop a player these days (other than QBs)?

This release could be the usual Wally running a guy out of town leaving the other players thinking 'If he thinks that guy played bad. What does he think of me. I'd better pick up my game' kind of thinking.

Also the numbers on rosters are restrictive and they have no room.

Look at the talent Jamal Johnson had but yet the Lions didn't coach him as they have in Hamilton.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy