CFL Team Rankings after 18 Games

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1 Montreal Alouettes - Still the class of the league

2 Edmonton Eskimos - Wow. The return of Ricky Ray. Jerome Who? A running game in Edmonton?

3 Winnipeg Blue Bombers - Very nice recovery from the last few years.

4 Calgary Stampeders - Got some holes in the team. O Line, et cetera.

5 Toronto Argonauts - Still a tough defence. They play hard.

6, 7 and 8 are tied, and are listed in alphabetical order, with 0 and 2 records.

6 B.C. Lions - It won't get any easier next week visiting the Eskimos.

7 Hamilton TigerCats - It seems to me the TiCats did not backslide so much as that many teams have upped their game.

8 Saskatchewan RoughRiders - Wow. Humble pie for the proud franchise.

Based mostly on win/loss records, which seems to me about the best way to rank the teams.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Win / Loss records ...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Win / Loss records ...
Interesting that the Lions are the third highest scoring team in the league and have given up the second most points, yet some people point the finger at the offence.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Interesting that the Lions are the third highest scoring team in the league and have given up the second most points, yet some people point the finger at the offence.
There is enough blame to go around. Ha ha

To me, it seems, as much as anything, it is breakdowns at critical times that are killing us. Drops. Missed tackles. Bad decisions. Et cetera ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Our losses have been games worth watching until the final gun, IMO. Both the Rider games looked over by the start of the fourth quarter and the Ticats looked rough in the 4th of their two losses too. I think our 6th is fair based on win/loss.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite what many may think of Eric Tillman, he has done an excellent job of turning the franchise around.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hamilton has no offense. Edmonton showed enough offense in 1 game more than for Winnipeg, Toronto and Hamilton combined in each of their two games ( or so it seemed ).

Montreal is still the power house team to beat.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Despite what many may think of Eric Tillman, he has done an excellent job of turning the franchise around.
I will be sold on that once teams start playing them for the second go around. A new HC, DC, and OC will have teams learning on the fly, and I expect the NI lack of depth to begin to hurt the Esks outcomes once/if they begin.
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

wpg beat what might be their two weekest opponants in the league. They were both ugly wins and at least the one over toronto was gift wrapped. No way is wpg number 3
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
If the offense capitalizes on the gifts the defense was giving us, we blow the Stamps out in the first half of the last game and our points given up looks a lot better.
Roar you Lions roar!
joe kapp22
Legend

I think there should be #1-#5 and then a 3 way tie between the Ticats, Riders, and then BC.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
David
Team Captain

Yesterday's loss by Hamilton was uglier than Amy Winehouse around a locked liquor cabinet.

While Calvillo and Ray seem to have aged like fine wine, Kevin Glenn suddenly looks old and slow. Having watched the game, I still can't decide if Hamilton was that bad, or Edmonton that good.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

David wrote:Yesterday's loss by Hamilton was uglier than Amy Winehouse around a locked liquor cabinet.

While Calvillo and Ray seem to have aged like fine wine, Kevin Glenn suddenly looks old and slow. Having watched the game, I still can't decide if Hamilton was that bad, or Edmonton that good.

DH :cool:
The TiCats looked very much like a team that had underestimated their opponent and the Esks just came out and slapped them around the field on both sides of the football.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/cfl-ca-power- ... for-week-2_

The first group are the CFL mathematical rankings ...

The second group are from Matthew Cauz ...
CFL.ca Matthew Cauz

#1 Montreal (2-0)
I’m tired of everyone heaping praise on Anthony Calvillo. Did you know he only has the third best QB rating at 132.9? Ricky Ray is second at 134.4 while Noel Prefontaine is the club house leader with a whopping 158.3. Come on Calvillo, you can’t even outplay a punter?

#2 Edmonton (2-0)
Two wins against two playoff teams is a stark contrast to the 2010 squad that didn’t notch their second win until nearly September. Beyond Ray and Jerome Messam all the credit in the world must go to an offensive line that held Hamilton to one sack (compared to five they collected in Week 1) and pushed around the Tiger-Cats to the tune of 541 yards.

#3 Calgary (1-1)
Yeah it was an ugly win for Calgary over B.C. But without Ken-Yon Rambo and Malik Jackson in the lineup the Stampeders still managed to win on the road while turning the ball over five times.

Listen, any team can win when they play mistake-free ball, but the truly talented teams are ones that can overcome a slew of miscues and still come away with a W. Give the Stampeders D credit for holding the Lions to five points off all those turnovers.

#4 Winnipeg (2-0)
Great to see my dark horse team starting out 2-0! Blame my shallowness for why I don’t have them ranked above Calgary. Back-to-back ugly wins and just 316 yards and one touchdown from Buck Pierce are the reasons for their no. four spot. On the bright side Winnipeg is finding ways to win close games unlike last season.

#5 Toronto (1-1)
The best defence in the league is still not getting enough support from the guys on the other side of the ball. I could have cut and pasted that sentence from articles I have written about this team for the past three years. In fact I’m sure I’ve written that exact 22 word sentence at least 12 to 748 times.

Listen, you can have success with below average quarterback play but you can’t be “elite” until you have a signal caller that can win you a couple games on his own. Lemon is not there. I understand I’m probably being a bit harsh; and there are a whole host of reasons beyond the quarterback for what ails the Toronto offence; but how often have you been wowed by Lemon's play?

#6 B.C. (0-2)
The good news: the Lions are the best 0-2 team in the league, the bad news: yup once again they have gotten off to a slow start. There is no shame to losing to Montreal on the road and Calgary. At least the team was in both of those games.

#7 Saskatchewan (0-2)
I love reading all the tweets from players and fans that it is not time to panic. I agree it is way too early to hit the panic button but I recommend that everyone at least locate exactly where the button is and make sure their button pressing finger is warmed up and ready to go.

#8 Hamilton (0-2)
Is it time to put out a missing person’s report for Arland Bruce III and Marcus Thigpen?