Buono does not like the hit by Nik Lewis on Adam Leonard ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stongly held views, I can see ...

Regarding the block by Nik Lewis, and realizing no one is going to change their opinion on it. We are just expressing our differing views on it ...

I would say it was legal by CFL definitions. Yes.

I would also say it was force applied way beyond what was necessary to get the job done.

Since when are football players asked to calibrate the level of force they apply? Well, it is being done in some instances. Head shots. Rollups. Crack back blocks. Low hits on receivers will be next. Hits to the chest on QBs and receivers are watched. We all know about the legal hit to Darryl Stingley by Jack Tatum that left him paralyzed.

IMO the hit by Lewis could easily have seriously injured Leonard. Fortunately he seems to have an amazingly durable physique.

Legal hit? Sure. Appropriate level of force for the play? Not in my opinion.

A hit from the side that can snap the head to the side has been addressed in hockey. I consider the hit by Lewis to be of that nature. IMO just too dangerous to the one getting hit.

And I am not trying to change anybody's mind about this. I accept the differing views.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I'm not so sure the hit was from the side. However, I agree with your point in general where a player is defenseless from what is about to happen.

Personally I don't see how this hit was different in magnitude to the hit by the Lion safety on an Eskimos receiver last week.

It's the nature of football. When your guy does it, it's a great play. When it's done to your guy, it's over the top.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

if it was a lion player that made that hit, everyone here would be loving it and heaping praise upon the player, and most assuredly strongly defending that player from any criticism.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
joe kapp22
Legend

I thought the Lewis hit was legal, albeit dirty, Leonard had no shot at making the play, that is my quibble with it.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rodu
Champion

clean hit, Leonard needs to learn to keep his head on a swivel
sasklionsfan
Rookie

If this was the nfl it would be a 15 yard penalty, helmet to helmet hit, and lewis lead with his helmet. Dirty and lewis should be ashamed of himself. And about the low hit on lewis earlier, he got hit in his thighpad and they were still complaining. When Lewis actually makes a dirty hit they commend him on it. Seriously they are biased against the Lions most of the times :bang:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:if it was a lion player that made that hit, everyone here would be loving it and heaping praise upon the player, and most assuredly strongly defending that player from any criticism.
Not "everyone" would be loving it, nor would "everyone" be heaping praise upon the player ...
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

sasklionsfan wrote:If this was the nfl it would be a 15 yard penalty, helmet to helmet hit, and lewis lead with his helmet. Dirty and lewis should be ashamed of himself. And about the low hit on lewis earlier, he got hit in his thighpad and they were still complaining. When Lewis actually makes a dirty hit they commend him on it. Seriously they are biased against the Lions most of the times :bang:
It's not the NFL and if it was, it still wouldn't have been a penalty. He did NOT lead with his helmet which IS A PENALTY in the CFL.

It was NOT a dirty hit.

Take off the orange colored glasses
Anglophone
All Star

KnowItAll wrote:if it was a lion player that made that hit, everyone here would be loving it and heaping praise upon the player, and most assuredly strongly defending that player from any criticism.
It's safe to assume that there's going to be no small amount of bias on a BC forum.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Anglophone wrote:
It's safe to assume that there's going to be no small amount of bias on a BC forum.
There is a difference between bias and a lack of understanding of the rules.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the hit. Leonard was attempting pursuit of Burris, Lewis cut him off and cleaned his clock with a shoulder right around the CFL logo on his jersey.
nelson95
Legend

great hit
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

nelson95 wrote:great hit
I believe the term "de-cleated" would've been most appropriate.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good clean hit. I only wished that Adam Leonard had hit Nik Lewis
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Good clean hit. I only wished that Adam Leonard had hit Nik Lewis
Amen.