Lions @ Alouettes - Pre-Game Picks, et cetera

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... ol-10.aspx
CFL This Week, Vol. 10

By L. Ullrich Thu, Sep 2 2010

It's Labour Day weekend, which means something across Canada when it comes to football every place but one. Well, two; if you want to get mad about something, cast over our picks for the week.

FRIDAY

B.C. at Montreal, 4:30 p.m.

The thought of facing any quarterback other than 38-year-old legend Anthony Calvillo has to be uplifting to the Lions given their play, but they are not facing a rube who has never before been on stage in backup Chris Leak.

The 25-year-old has been on a considerably bigger stage, in fact, leading Florida to the 2006 NCAA championship over Ohio State. "He's poised and he's got a ton of confidence," Als offensive coordinator Scott Milanovich told the Montreal Gazette.

The Als do have other issues. K Damon Duval has missed seven FGs this season; he only missed eight all year. Montreal has been occasionally victimized on defence by the deep throw. Also out: LB Diamond Ferri.

But with the Lions, Montreal will need only an average pass rush and would figure to cause trouble for the B.C. offensive line, which debuts Joe McGrath as a starter this week.

Province pick: Alouettes
Nice to not have to face Anthony Calvillo. Be careful what you wish for. The #3 guy on the Alouettes depth chart, Chris Leak, sounds like a player. More importantly, he is playing in a good system.

Could the Lions surprise? Sure. If we make some big plays, score some TDs, it could open up the field, slow down the pass rush, give the D some rest, et cetera.

So, can our offensive game planning give our QBs some time to make their reads?

Can we, will we, establish some semblance of a running game to wear down the Als pass rush?

The oddsmakers have the Als favoured by 11.5 ... Ouch ...
pdxlion
Rookie

We win by a bunch. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but we won't lose every game forever. We're due and this is the week. We actually played them pretty tough the last time and unless Leak shows more than he did his last game - we win handily.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions by double digits...... lose that is
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lions win because Paris Jackson guaranteed the win yesterday after practice. Sounds confident so I'll see if he's right. I think our defence plays well so if the Lions win it will be a low-scoring game!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Lions 22
Als 21

We have to win sooner or later
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Under normal circumstances I'd be giddy about facing QB with a big time NCAA pedigree. Typically that type of QB struggles in the CFL and seldom live up to their hype. However, Coach Trestman was wise enough to study the "Canadian" version of football and adjust his coaching to best suit the CFL. I am sure he's spent some time with his 3rd stringer and basically told him "forget about what you think you know, here's how to play QB in Canada". The only advantage we may enjoy is that the Als have historically been very poor at grooming Cavillo's back ups, so maybe they waited too long to properly prepare Leak for this week. Sucks for us that they are coming off a bye.

But maybe just the belief that the Als sans Cavillo are beatable will be enough to keep the Lions from quitting on this game after 15 minutes. Let's hope so. I really feel this is the last chance to salvage anything from this season. If they lose this game I doubt they do much better than 2-16 this year.
.G.
All Star

26-10 Als
MABEY!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Lions win because Paris Jackson guaranteed the win yesterday after practice. Sounds confident so I'll see if he's right. I think our defence plays well so if the Lions win it will be a low-scoring game!
In doing that he effectively guaranteed the opposite. Nothing good ever comes of saying something like that. Ask Fred Perry. ;)
Real women wear orange!!
zark
Champion

Wally rebuilds after every game. That's always a plus for a team sport :bang:
Who's out / whos in each week.Maybe that's Wally's scheme. Keep changing the players each week, and then blame them. Ugh...
But of course I'll say Lions will win.35-28. But only if Geroy is involved.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
notahomer
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
notahomer wrote:Lions win because Paris Jackson guaranteed the win yesterday after practice. Sounds confident so I'll see if he's right. I think our defence plays well so if the Lions win it will be a low-scoring game!
In doing that he effectively guaranteed the opposite. Nothing good ever comes of saying something like that. Ask Fred Perry. ;)

Thats what I thought too. You want the players to be confident but I'm not sure anyone on the Lions Offence has the Turf-cred to be guaranteeing wins, IMO.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

He's been smoking too many of those flavoured cigars or whatever you use that brand for if he guarantees anything more than being in Montreal.

Without Cavillo Montreal is not the same team but their team is on a roll and the Lions are rolling in the opposite direction. Could be an Edmonton style win but then again Montreal's defence isn't losing a beat so it will be tough to turn the good ship Wallypop around this week.

BC 18 - Als 15 as FG kickers run wild. Who knows.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

I doubt Montreal will even show up.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Montreal 26 BC 18.

Oh and dear Angus Reid: Ottawa may have been a pushover for you in 2004 as you have been saying all week on team10hockey, but right now, they could probably take you. In 2013, you won't have a prayer.

:wink:
bclions16
Champion

Solar Max wrote:Montreal 26 BC 18.

Oh and dear Angus Reid: Ottawa may have been a pushover for you in 2004 as you have been saying all week on team10hockey, but right now, they could probably take you. In 2013, you won't have a prayer.

:wink:
I thought you gave up that station, and all regular radio when you got satellite radio.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████