Dominie Pittman - Gary Kingston

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Catc ... story.html

Some excerpts from the article ...
Pittman’s real job is ... to catch quarterbacks. So far, that’s proving to be just about as difficult as hanging onto a long spiral in practice.
He hasn't been a play maker so far, IMO.
The Pensacola, Fla., native, who should have pretty good hands given his passion for drumming, is well aware of the rush end legacy with the Lions — from Quick Parker, a CFL-record 26.5 sacks in 1984, to Cam Wake, who rushed off to the NFL after 39 quarterback gotchas in two seasons, to Rickey Foley, now in the camp of the Seattle Seahawks. And he knows his two sacks in seven games isn’t measuring up. Not yet.
2 sacks in 7 games.
“I feel I can come with a lot more, can bring more to the table once I learn the mind game of setting the O-lineman up,” says Pittman, who starred at NCAA Division II North Alabama University. “That’s what I’m still learning how to do. I never had that. I just beat guys off my athletic ability in college. But here, everybody’s good.

“The second half [of the season] I’m going to do a lot better.”
He sounds like a project, with great athletic talent. Meanwhile Brent Hawkins came out of the package ready to go, making plays.
B.C. has led the league in sacks four consecutive seasons, averaging a whopping 63 a year from 2006-2008 when the likes of Johnson, Chris Wilson and Wake were running wild. Imports Wilson (Washington Redskins) and Wake (Miami Dolphins) parlayed their spectacular play into NFL contracts, while the Canadian Foley is hoping to do the same.
Yes, quite a legacy. Wilson, Wake and Foley.
“[Pittman] is a young guy who plays a very difficult position,” says head coach Wally Buono. “The position is as much a cerebral process as it is a physical process. He’s got the attributes that it’s going to take — he’s long, he runs fast, he’s powerful. But it takes time.
Funny how Wally is ultra patient with some guys, but not others. Pittman is "a young guy," he says. Well so were Wake and Wilson and Foley young guys. They were ready to go, out of the box.

Of all the positions on the field, I can't quite agree that rush end is a cerebral position. QB is. Offensive line is. Running back is not. I wouldn't think rush end is.
“He’s no different than the Chris Wilsons, the Cam Wakes and the Rickey Foleys. They were not what you would call instant balls on fire as far as production. Guys like him, the second half of the season is where they really start to blossom.” - Wally Buono
IMO he has been different so far. Those guys IMO were play makers, from the get go. Not projects.
“He showed me how to pick out a spot when I’m pass rushing. I’ve never done that before. Find a spot and try to beat the O-lineman to that spot. If he meets me there, then I can make an inside move or whatever move I want to make, but if he don’t beat me there, I’m going to keep going.”
Brown looks like a good pickup.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess Brent Johnson's drop ended his career as a receiver. :wink:
joe kapp22
Legend

What did Wilson, Wake and Foley have that Pittman does not?

Aaron Hunt.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I guess Brent Johnson's drop ended his career as a receiver. :wink:
Brent caught at least one touchdown pass a couple of years ago. But I missed the drop you talk of (against the Argos?). Maybe if we tried more plays like that...
sixbeamers
Rookie

Would the lionbackers blogger known as "The Lion King" please contact Mike Beamish of The Vancouver Sun at: sixbeamers@aim.com. Or, e-mail Mike at: mbeamish@vancouversun.com.
Hope to hear from you.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Ummm yeah , what's up with that?? He IS aware that teams read online articles from other teams too, isn't he? Why would he say that?
Real women wear orange!!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

So has this reporter seen his last Lions practice?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

What a total and complete dumbass thing to do. What part of Calgary is this guy from originally? :bang:
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I just read this article today in the National Post, and it kind of left me wondering...why on earth would the reporter speculate the Lions would be running fake field goals and then point out the player who is working on his catching?

Cheers,

James

It's just for show to let the fans know they are trying to be creative...in practice. They won't run in the game because it's not in Chap's playbook.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:So has this reporter seen his last Lions practice?
If he got all the way into Wally's dog house, he could always stand outside the fence. The view is much the same.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I just read this article today in the National Post, and it kind of left me wondering...why on earth would the reporter speculate the Lions would be running fake field goals and then point out the player who is working on his catching?

Cheers,

James
Where is the article .. . excerpts?
Link?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
bclions16
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote: Where is the article .. . excerpts?
Link?
Look up, look waaaaay up.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:

Cheers,

James
Link?
The article, link and excerpts are at the top of the post-I think James meant the Sun, not the Post, because that's where the article was from. ;)
Real women wear orange!!
Rammer
Team Captain

CatsEyes wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:

Cheers,

James
Link?
The article, link and excerpts are at the top of the post-I think James meant the Sun, not the Post, because that's where the article was from. ;)
I think that the Post may have been where he saw it, as it may have been picked up....so all the CFL teams could read it. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low