Esks LB Coach Dan Kepley Resigns Today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not a nice day if this is true as Kepley bleeds Eskimo.

I know he knows football if you listen to him with Chris Cuthbert doing the colour on the Western Division Final in 1994. I still react to Kepley's call on the final pass to Darren Flutie when after and before the snap he says "if worse comes to worse QB draw with Danny McManus". I find myself back in 1994 watching on TV and thinking 'oh no...not McManus on a QB draw' as it was ice and snow that day.

This must say how much he is not in synch with his DC and HC.

Todays story:

Eskimos linebacker coach Kepley resigns

http://www.canada.com/news/Eskimos+line ... story.html - all of it here.

EDMONTON — Dan Kepley, the man often considered the heart and soul of the Edmonton Eskimos franchise since his playing days, has resigned as the club’s linebackers coach Postmedia News has learned...

Kepley was in his 10th year as an assistant coach with the Eskimos, the last five as linebackers coach. In his 10-year playing career (1975-84) he was a five-time CFL all-star linebacker and a huge factor in Edmonton’s five straight Grey Cup victories, 1978 through 1982. He’s in the CFL Hall of Fame, on the Eskimos Wall of Honour and was a three-time winner of the Schenley Award as the league’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player (1977, 1980 and 1981).

Of Edmonton’s 13 Grey Cup wins, Kepley was involved in six as a player and two as an assistant coach.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

A loss for all fans of the Canadian Game.

The CFL and the Edmonton Eskimos are poorer today, and it is sad that Kepley felt he needed to fall on his sword.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Solar Max wrote:A loss for all fans of the Canadian Game.

The CFL and the Edmonton Eskimos are poorer today, and it is sad that Kepley felt he needed to fall on his sword.
I suspect he's resigning more out of embarrassment than anything. If I had the history of success and accomplishment that he's had with the Esks in past decades, I'd be embarrassed to be associated with the current gang of schmucks.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:A loss for all fans of the Canadian Game.

I'm pretty sure he'll rebound and find another gig quite quickly. But from a legend perspective, I'd agree with you. (Being a Detroiter at heart, I guess I'd use what happened to Alan Trammell as a baseball equivalent).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One of the reports said Kepley was close friends with Maciocia, and wanted to resign the same day Maciocia was fired. Maciocia convinced him to stay.

Kepley must be so very upset to leave the team mid-season. What a mess they have over there.

And as much as I, like many Lions fans, have no love for the Edmonton Eskimos, it is sad to see the Schmos in such a Schmozzle.

LeLacheur has to go. But it will have to wait until after the Grey Cup, which is being held at Commonwealth. Richie Hall is wearing too many hats to make it easy to replace him at this time. Ughhhh

LeLacheur has screwed the pooch. He should have shoved Danny Maciocia back down as Head Coach, and then fired him at the end of the year, and then fired himself.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great 5th Estate interview from Nov. 2008 with Dan Kepley. I agree it was a bad loss for the CFL not just the Esks.

I watched the almo you tube call of the final drive in the 94 WDF. Kepley was the colour guy.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2008-2009/head_ ... epley.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
bclions16
Champion

The CFL hasn't lost him. He is no longer coaching in Edmonton, but not dead!
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Richie Hall also fired offensive line coach Jeff Bleamer today and replaced him with Tim Prinsen. He hired Mark Nelson as linebackers coach to replace Kepley.

TSN article
joe kapp22
Legend

Esks are cleaning house right now, they've fired the OC, Oline coach, Keply resigned.

Will be interesting to watch as I thought the Esks would be a good team coming into the season.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:Will be interesting to watch as I thought the Esks would be a good team coming into the season.
It certainly looked like they had lots of talent.

QB, receivers, RB. Richie Hall is respected as a defensive coach. Lots of reasons to think they would be good this year.

I'm not a Maciocia fan. But firing him in mid-season does nothing except give LeLacheur what he thought was a sacrificial lamb.

It looks like an ongoing train wreck for that team for this year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tale of two cities; one team is making wholesale changes while the other is standing pat. Should be interesting to see which one improves the most.
joe kapp22
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
ed_lunsford wrote:Will be interesting to watch as I thought the Esks would be a good team coming into the season.
It certainly looked like they had lots of talent.

QB, receivers, RB. Richie Hall is respected as a defensive coach. Lots of reasons to think they would be good this year.

I'm not a Maciocia fan. But firing him in mid-season does nothing except give LeLacheur what he thought was a sacrificial lamb.

It looks like an ongoing train wreck for that team for this year.
Well, the way I'm looking at is this:

The Esks have done what many here hoped that Wally B had done, clean house in season, Wally B stayed with the pat hand and it will be interesting to see which approach works better for the rest of the season.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
David
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:The Esks have done what many here hoped that Wally B had done, clean house in season, Wally B stayed with the pat hand and it will be interesting to see which approach works better for the rest of the season.
This is pure speculation on my part, just a hunch and nothing more, but if BC loses its next two games (Calgary and Montreal), I wouldn't be surprised to see Wally step down (GM only) and hire Mike Benevides as an interim Head Coach for the Toronto game Sept 11, with Rich Stubler taking over as Defensive Coordinator. You have to think that if the team continues to execute poorly and take a multitude of dumb penalties, he is clearly not getting through to this group.

All that being said, I still think BC can take this next game. The bye week should help, and they may get a lift from the addition of Casey and Sherko, not to mention an offensive spark from Yonus Davis whom I think will play an expanded role. And as much as Calgary has had the Leos' number, we have to win one at some point, don't we? :pray: I also have to believe the odds are against a team (albeit a very good one) winning two road games within a month against the same team.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
joe kapp22
Legend

David wrote:
ed_lunsford wrote:The Esks have done what many here hoped that Wally B had done, clean house in season, Wally B stayed with the pat hand and it will be interesting to see which approach works better for the rest of the season.
This is pure speculation on my part, just a hunch and nothing more, but if BC loses its next two games (Calgary and Montreal), I wouldn't be surprised to see Wally step down (GM only) and hire Mike Benevides as an interim Head Coach for the Toronto game Sept 11, with Rich Stubler taking over as Defensive Coordinator. You have to think that if the team continues to execute poorly and take a multitude of dumb penalties, he is clearly not getting through to this group.

All that being said, I still think BC can take this next game. The bye week should help, and they may get a lift from the addition of Casey and Sherko, not to mention an offensive spark from Yonus Davis whom I think will play an expanded role. And as much as Calgary has had the Leos' number, we have to win one at some point, don't we? :pray: I also have to believe the odds are against a team (albeit a very good one) winning two road games within a month against the same team.

DH
I cannot see Wally B walking away from the team, in season, on a losing streak, too much pride in his job.

Grice Mullin was waived today, I have to wonder if we would have any interest in him if no one signs him?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote: Grice Mullin was waived today, I have to wonder if we would have any interest in him if no one signs him?
Please, no.

I think Wally liked him. And then along came Robert Jordan, whom Wally also liked.

RGM and RGM Lite.

Yonus Davis as running back, with our few running attempts, should have enough in the tank for some returns. Plus Harris needs more work there. And Messam.

Just IMO ...