Stadium and Game Day Issues

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leeinq
Rookie

Overall for what it is, temp, it looks good. Bathrooms and concessions were about what I expected, long lines, etc. But heck, try getting something at a game in Calgary, very poorly set up.

The hawkers in the stands with popcorn, etc do ok. Need more aggressive 50\50 sellers and why end sales so soon? Should wait until the end of the third. Plus why does someone have to run down within 10 minutes of announcing the winner?

Sitting in section 206, I did find the posts holding up the roof very annoying, often could not see the middle part of the line at the far end when the play was between the 45 and the endzone. Bit of a piss off not to be able to see the QB, OL and DL......

The thing that I found most worryng was the exit system at the South East corner. Have two lines of the same size joining up, then restricting them into smaller and smaller passage ways and then up some stairs is asking for trouble.

Transit still needs work, a few signs directing people to the buses would help as would more than one transit rep. The one they had was only at the west side, should have had one at the east end of Hastings as well. People were lining up at the bus stop in a nice line, only to find out that many were at the wrong stop. They only knew this because one member of the public walked out onto the street and forced a passing bus to stop and have the driver explain what was going on.

Overall it was great to have on outdoor game on such a wonderful evening. I am sure that some of the problems can be worked on.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm usually an early bird (take in warmups etc...). I had no end of trouble getting to the stadium via Transit. Many Taxi's were picking up stranded fans.

Leaving the stadium was tough too. It was packed and this was a game where many fans left EARLY due to an easy win for the Visitors. I can only imagine a game that goes into the last moments or O.T.

I consider myself a CFL fan whose favourite team is the Lions. It was cool, IMO, to see lots of Bomber and a few Eskimo jersies sprinkled in a crowd of Lion/Rider fans. I learn from my mistakes so I'm arriving on time next Friday and going to try a new route outta Tempire once the final gun goes off.
leeinq
Rookie

notahomer wrote:I'm usually an early bird (take in warmups etc...). I had no end of trouble getting to the stadium via Transit. Many Taxi's were picking up stranded fans.

Leaving the stadium was tough too. It was packed and this was a game where many fans left EARLY due to an easy win for the Visitors. I can only imagine a game that goes into the last moments or O.T.

I consider myself a CFL fan whose favourite team is the Lions. It was cool, IMO, to see lots of Bomber and a few Eskimo jersies sprinkled in a crowd of Lion/Rider fans. I learn from my mistakes so I'm arriving on time next Friday and going to try a new route outta Tempire once the final gun goes off.
Caught the 135 from downtown, but it filled up at the first stop and sailed up. So getting there was not a big problem, but we did pass a lot of stops with people staring at us. Ended up sharing a limo back downtown after waiting for a while in a non moving bus line.
ik17
Rookie

If the 50/50 was done in the 4th quarter there wouldn't be enough time to do a re-draw if the winner didn't show up.

If there's no 10 minute time limit, they wouldn't know if the winner is still at the game and couldn't re-draw while everyone's left if they find the winner didn't show up.
D
Team Captain

I was surprised that after the game Playland was closed ... a beautiful Saturday night in July and it was all shut down, I figured they would be open till midnight.

Other than that I have no complaints at all it was a great day tailgating and wonderful to be in the new Empire
I own The Grey Cup! .com
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

D wrote:I was surprised that after the game Playland was closed ... a beautiful Saturday night in July and it was all shut down, I figured they would be open till midnight.
I thought the same thing. We're hoping to go early on Friday and hit Playland before the game. The Port Mann traffic was backed up to Langley by 4:30 p.m. Saturday. There's no way I want to try that drive on a Friday night.
Centrum22
Starter

Watching on TV, the field seemed very under-lit once the sun went down. This seems to be a problem in the CFL generally. The CFL does not seem to understand what the NFL does: you light the field not just to make play possible but to make it appear bright, vibrant and sparkling on television. The failure to do this tends to make CFL games appear "small-time," like a highschool game on a local community channel. This does not help attract new television viewers. If you want more customers to buy your product, you have to make the packaging more attractive. You have to create the appearance of being "big league." Establishing lighting requirements with television in mind would go a long way in doing that. Television is one of the keys to enriching, strengthening and growing the league.
leeinq
Rookie

ik17 wrote:If the 50/50 was done in the 4th quarter there wouldn't be enough time to do a re-draw if the winner didn't show up.

If there's no 10 minute time limit, they wouldn't know if the winner is still at the game and couldn't re-draw while everyone's left if they find the winner didn't show up.
Why can the winner not just phone the office the next day and come on in? In Regina, they put the winning numbers on the website (they give other smaller prizes as well, not jut the 50/50).

http://www.reginarams.com/5050.htm

What happens if someone is in the can and can not hear the numbers? Handicapped and cannot move fast? Etc.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:If the 50/50 was done in the 4th quarter there wouldn't be enough time to do a re-draw if the winner didn't show up.

Why can't they just add the unclaimed prize to the next game's draw?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Wally!
Starter

Well, at least they are making an attempt to fix the issues with concessions. We shall see ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/more ... story.html
nelson95
Legend

Once again PNE tries to make money on parking but playland closes at 8?

We're in 207 but too close to the tunnel so the people standing block our view
Never thought I'd prefer our BC Plce seats

And the sun. Why are the Lions in the sun 1/2 the game?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
David
Team Captain

Let me offer a counterpoint to all the kvetching.

The Empire experience actually exceeded my expectations. Amazing time. Meh, long beer line-ups? They'll fix that for next game. Luckily, my buddy didn't seem to mind going to get them while I concentrated on the game, such as it was.

Tailgated in Lot 9 with a group of 11 (including a couple of young kids). A real festive, family atmosphere at the game. It came close to approximating the US college experience. After, I was able to exit the lot onto Bridgeway St (the Hwy 1 service road?), cross Hastings, and make it down to East 1st Ave - free and clear of traffic - in just over 5 minutes.

Some friends barbecuing:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

nelson95 wrote:Once again PNE tries to make money on parking but playland closes at 8?
I guess the counter point to that is where would anyone wanting to go Playland park after around 5:00pm?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

the 50/50 draw has always been a problem for me. As others I'm sure mentioned why the hell do you only get ten minutes to get to the booth? How many winners have missed out? How could you possibly notice your number being called when in one of the many lineups outside?

The acknowledgement and possible fix for amenities is encouraging, but I wont hold my breath.