LaPolice is the new Bombers Head Coach - Ian Hamilton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Paul LaPolice accepts Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coaching job

By Ian Hamilton, Leader-Post February 5, 2010

REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders' off-season shopping list has grown significantly.

Paul LaPolice, the Roughriders' offensive co-ordinator for the past two CFL seasons, reportedly accepted an offer Thursday to become the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' head coach. An official announcement out of Winnipeg is expected Friday.

As well, defensive end Stevie Baggs — who had 12 sacks for the Roughriders in 2009 to tie for the CFL lead — signed a free-agent deal with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals on Wednesday.

The Roughriders already were in the market for a starting defensive end to replace John Chick (who signed with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts) and offensive line coach Bob Wylie (who joined the Denver Broncos).

No one from the Roughriders' organization was available to comment. LaPolice did not return messages left by the Leader-Post.

According to the Winnipeg Free Press, LaPolice accepted a deal with the Bombers on Thursday morning. The Free Press reported LaPolice will be introduced as Mike Kelly's replacement at a media conference Friday.

In a conversation with the Leader-Post in December, LaPolice said he would listen if the Bombers approached him about becoming a head coach.

"It's something I've always aspired to be ...," he said on Dec. 21. "It's something that's always been in the back of my mind, so if the opportunity presents itself, it's something that I would look at."

LaPolice's wife, Tina, hails from the Manitoba capital and LaPolice was the Bombers' offensive co-ordinator in 2002 and '03. He also has had CFL coaching jobs with the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

He also coached in the U.S. college ranks at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the University of New Hampshire, Western Connecticut State University and the Maine Maritime Academy.

There was some thought LaPolice was a candidate to replace Roughriders head coach Ken Miller next season, when he's slated to give up the team's coaching reins to concentrate on his duties as vice-president of football operations.

Baggs, a 28-year-old product of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., had a breakout season with the Roughriders last season — his first full season in Saskatchewan after previous stops with the Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos. The 6-foot-1, 241-pounder had 55 tackles, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and an interception.

Baggs was to become a CFL free agent on Feb. 15, but he was eligible to sign with an NFL team before that — just as players entering the option years of their CFL contracts are eligible to do.

"He's very excited about to play in the National Football League," Baggs' agent, Chad Speck, said from his office in Sweetwater, Tenn. "He's certainly excited to be on that team, which was a playoff team this year and in the Super Bowl last year.

"They lack depth at outside linebacker and they think he's got an opportunity to make that squad. He's excited about the possibility."

Baggs confirmed his deal with Arizona is for one year, but neither Baggs nor Speck, would provide financial details — including whether Baggs received a signing bonus. Speck also declined to divulge financial details, including whether Baggs received a signing bonus.

"We've had some communication with the Cardinals and actually several NFL teams over the last couple of weeks and it's something that I thought was probably getting ready to take place," Speck said. "I knew once they wanted to fly him in for a physical (on Tuesday) it was probably close to being a done deal."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Paul+ ... story.html
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Paul LaPolice, the Roughriders' offensive co-ordinator for the past two CFL seasons, reportedly accepted an offer Thursday to become the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' head coach. An official announcement out of Winnipeg is expected Friday.
Not exactly a rising star. But ya never quite know when you have found a good one. Vince Lombardi was relatively unknown as the New York Giants offensive coach when he got his chance with the Green Bay Packers.
As well, defensive end Stevie Baggs — who had 12 sacks for the Roughriders in 2009 to tie for the CFL lead — signed a free-agent deal with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals on Wednesday.

The Roughriders already were in the market for a starting defensive end to replace John Chick (who signed with the NFL's Indianapolis Colts) and offensive line coach Bob Wylie (who joined the Denver Broncos).
Chick, Baggs, LaPolice, Tillman. Many losses for the Riders. I expect they will be all right nevertheless.
LaPolice's wife, Tina, hails from the Manitoba capital and LaPolice was the Bombers' offensive co-ordinator in 2002 and '03. He also has had CFL coaching jobs with the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

He also coached in the U.S. college ranks at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the University of New Hampshire, Western Connecticut State University and the Maine Maritime Academy.
He has put in his time.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: Chick, Baggs, LaPolice, Tillman. Many losses for the Riders. I expect they will be all right nevertheless.
Of course they will be! They have an 87 man roster to draw from! I guess with so many guys to keep track of, it MUST be difficult :)
Real women wear orange!!
Vern Halen
Champion

CatsEyes wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: Chick, Baggs, LaPolice, Tillman. Many losses for the Riders. I expect they will be all right nevertheless.
Of course they will be! They have an 87 man roster to draw from! I guess with so many guys to keep track of, it MUST be difficult :)
LOL - nice...
QB Club 63
All Star

Will there be a trickle of players leaving Sask to play for LaPolice in Wpg? It wouldn't surprise me. :2cents:

And with both Chick & Baggs now gone, it would also be no surprise to see the Greenies make a hard run at signing Ricky Foley (if he doesn't get signed by an NFL team). :popcorn:

Will the last team member leaving the Rider dressing room please shut off the lights... :tease: