Lumbala eyed by Dolphins - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lumbala eyed by Dolphins

By L. Ullrich Wed, Dec 23 2009

Second time a charm?

It could be the case for Lions non-import blocking back Rolly Lumbala. A CFL source Wednesday told The Fifth Quarter that based on his workout last week, Lumbala is being offered an NFL contract by the Miami Dolphins.

Lumbala and Ryan Grice-Mullen had their chance to show their stuff for the Dolphins last week and the Canadian obviously did enough to warrant the proposal. Lumbala, you may recall, worked out for Miami as a 260-pounder after he was taken in the 2008 Canadian college draft and the invitation to him was more along the lines of obtaining a status report. Suffice it to suggest Miami noticed an upgrade.

What makes it interesting is that Lumbala had shed roughly 20 pounds upon joining the Lions to put himself in a position to be a contributor in the CFL. Unless he went on a crash program after the season, Lumbala had done enough to impress a team in a league that likes its runners with more bulk.

The decision for Lumbala now will be whether to accept a limited role in Miami or maintain his slow and steady progress as a package player with the Lions, who hold his option-year rights. There's a rather significant pay component to consider too.

Also getting a look by the Dolphins is Calgary lineman Dimitri Tsoumpas, who worked out earlier this week. Linebacker Andy Schantz, who joined the Lions late in the season and remains on the team's negotiation list, was given the once-over by the Green Bay Packers and Buffalo Bills.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lumbala gets down the field quickly on Special Teams for a guy who is listed at 240 pounds. He gets in on a lot of tackles.

I expect STs is what the Dolphins have in mind for him.

IMO he hasnt shown the innate skills that true running backs have. He is more of a blocking back.

If signed by the Dolphins, I think they should pay the Lions some development fees. They are starting to annoy me now looking at our players. :wink:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I've never been a fan of the NFL / CFL option clause either. Time to get rid of it.
Tighthead
Legend

Does the CFL pay any development $$$ to the NFL when CFL teams sign players with NFL experience?

Saying Lumbala isn't good enough to play in the CFL seems odd when he does in fact play in the CFL.
Bobbyp
Champion

If a player signs a contract in another league they should make it so he cant comeback to the CFL the same calendar year IMO. When they comeback some poor guy gets cut who intended on playing here the whole year.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:I've never been a fan of the NFL / CFL option clause either. Time to get rid of it.
x2
MacNews
Team Captain

Blue In BC wrote:I've never been a fan of the NFL / CFL option clause either. Time to get rid of it.
:whs:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'd also be happy to see the end of the CFL/NFL option, but with the CFLPA contact up for renewal the players aren't likely to make a concession on that point. When the Saskatchewan Roughriders boast of taking in $30 million in revenues at the same time the league talks of holding the salary cap at or near $4.2 million, the odds favour the players making gains this time around.
Tighthead
Legend

Bobbyp wrote:If a player signs a contract in another league they should make it so he cant comeback to the CFL the same calendar year IMO. When they comeback some poor guy gets cut who intended on playing here the whole year.
Every guy who gets cut intended on playing the whole year. Coming from another league is no different than coming off injury. Be better and you won't get cut.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:But I guess if the Miami coaches are so dumb as to bench Cam Wake?? .

With Jason Taylor and Joey Porter on the roster playing Wake's position that's like saying BC coaches were dumb to bench Rickey Foley the past 2 years. Taylor and Porter have combined for 10 Pro Bowl appearances, 4 First Team All Pro selections, 4 Second Team All-Pro selections and an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award.
JohnHenry wrote: Lumbala might be the 3rd or 4th ST tackler with the Lions, but he won't have a long career doing that.
Former Lion Brendan Ayanbadejo may beg to differ as would many others. He's finishing his 7th season playing strictly special teams. For Lumbala he'd be crazy not to give it a shot. Even if he only played 2 NFL seasons on special teams he'd make more than he could ever hope to make playing in the CFL over the next 7 or 8 years. One time Argo J.P. Darche is now making a minimum of $745000/season just to be a long snapper in the NFL.

Funny thing is a CFL player who might be a journeyman calibre positional player but is very good on special teams probably has a better chance to forge a successful NFL career on special teams than does an above average CFL positional player trying to make it down there in his natural position.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Funny thing is a CFL player who might be a journeyman calibre positional player but is very good on special teams probably has a better chance to forge a successful NFL career on special teams than does an above average CFL positional player trying to make it down there in his natural position.
That is ironic, I agree.

Athleticism is a big part of it, as compared to the skills required for a position player. Anyone would look at Lumbala and see the size, strength and speed right away.

And it has turned out that he is very good at getting to the ball carrier on STs.

Meanwhile his potential as a running back for either league seems very limited, although he does have potential as a blocking back it would seem.

I agree that a player has to take the shot when it is offered. The big bucks can set you up pretty well for life after football.

It does seem though that the Dolphins are taking this "raiding" to a new level, and I don't much like it. We kind of expect to lose the occasional import who wants to get back the U.S. and take his shot at the NFL. But now it seems we are in danger of losing our non-import ST guys. Could Arakgi be next? IMO he is even better than Lumbala on STs.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
If signed by the Dolphins, I think they should pay the Lions some development fees. They are starting to annoy me now looking at our players. :wink:
Someone on here a few days ago said that losing our stars to an nfl team somehow bodes well for us. :dizzy: Oh happy day lookie we get to lose even more players now oh boy I sure feel so much more worthy now the dolphins feel so highly of us.

Not that I care too much for Rolly but you get the idea.
Tighthead
Legend

Wake is contributing now, so saying he can contribute now is evident.

Considering that Porter was benched for a whole game - really benched, not in the sense that you use it - that suggests they aren't playing politics.

Do you think Charlie Anderson is being treated better than Wake? How should they be working him into the defense?