Kelly charged with assault

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ziggy
Legend

CBC is reporting Bombers coach Kelly has been charged with assault.
Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... -assault-7

Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike Kelly was arrested this morning and charged with assault and harrassment following a domestic dispute.

Police in Bridgeport, Pa., responded to Kelly’s home in the Philadelphia area at 11:03 a.m. after receiving a 911 call placed from Kelly's home.
Related Items

The other person involved in the incident is Andrea Peterson, Kelly’s former girlfriend.

Police said she had a cut on her lip, redness on her neck and a small cut on her finger. Kelly also had some bruising on his face, police said.

Kelly was released on his own recognizance.

Kelly was reached by the Free Press on his cell phone but did not offer comment simply saying, "I can’t talk right now," before hanging up.

Blue Bombers chairman Ken Hildahl learned of the incident minutes after he ended a press conference announcing the resignation of CEO Lyle Bauer.

"At this point, what we’ll be looking to do is get all the facts surrounding the incident in Philadelphia," said Hildahl."We’ll deal with it at that point.

"We’ve heard a lot of rumours, a lot of innuendo over the last hour. These are issues that this football club and this board are obviously very concerned with. Any incidents that involve violence, and at this point they are allegations, it’s something we will and do take seriously."

"Non issue, handled internally, next Question.!"
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipe ... 93166.html

It appears Mike Kelly has sealed his already tenuous fate as head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The Bomber board of directors is expected to approve the firing of Kelly at a meeting later today, in light of an assault charge filed against the coach in the U.S. this morning.

Kelly was charged with assault and harassment after police were called to his home near Philadelphia at 9 a.m.

A former girlfriend of Kelly's had suffered a cut lip, bruises on her neck and marks on her arms. The police report says Kelly also had marks and swelling on his face.

Kelly was charged and released, with a promise to appear in court Dec. 23.

Looks like the Bomber fandom can have something to look forward to in this off season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Almost as if it was planned..........? To give Kelly the boot.....?

Assault is cowardly and really shows the character of an individual who would hit a woman.....

Of course he is innocent until proven guilty...... words that are used waaaaaay to often these days on all sports forums such as this one...... :(
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You say that like a woman hitting a man is OK? Physical assaults regardless of gender are deplorable. In this day and age, it is high time we dispensed with the notion that a form of violence is either more or less acceptable depending on the gender of the victim. It is all bad, period.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:You say that like a woman hitting a man is OK? Physical assaults regardless of gender are deplorable. In this day and age, it is high time we dispensed with the notion that a form of violence is either more or less acceptable depending on the gender of the victim. It is all bad, period.
Image Image Image

Bravo and well said, Sir P! I was thinking just that very thing, but you said it much better!
Real women wear orange!!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

its all bad alright, however

its still worse for a man to hit a woman than for a man to hit a man. always has been. always will be. with rare exceptions.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Bosco
Team Captain

Bye Bye Kelly!

The Bombers have done the sensible thing by firing this clown. :clown:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I disagree KnowIA. I think that sometimes we confuse result with intent.

If someone shoots me and I happen to be wearing a bullet proof vest, does it make the act of shooting me more acceptable than if I wasn't? Is it more okay if the shooter is a female and not male?

By the same token. If a man is perhaps better equipped to defend himself against a physical attack from a woman, does this make the notion of an attack more acceptable? If the woman is a 240 pound weight lifter and the man is a 140 pound dressmaker, does it change the equation any? It shouldn't.

The idea that one person can exert their will over another by means of physical force is the issue. It is the act and not the outcome that we condemn. Women have been fighting for equality for the last 100 plus years in Western Society and this is part of that struggle. I heartily support equality of the sexes but part of equality includes the expectation that women must acquit themselves by the same rules as men. If men assaulting women is unacceptable, then so too must the idea of women assaulting men. Otherwise, equality means nothing; we won't have it and we will never attain it until we treat everyone the same.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longtimefan
Starter

News from TSN states that Mike Kelly has been fired by the Bombers. I suspect Greg Marshall will be the new Head Coach but maybe Chaps could apply
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Bye Bye Kelly!

The Bombers have done the sensible thing by firing this clown. :clown:

Wow, talk about having a bad day!
Tighthead
Legend

If he was with the Riders he would coach from his basement.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stange guy this Mike Kelly.

And do the results of the alleged assault have anything to do with this? Or was that just an excuse?

Based on the speed with which they fired him after the news one would think he was on thin ice anyway. They should have had a morals clause in his contract.

Like the man said, so how has your day been?
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote:And do the results of the alleged assault have anything to do with this? Or was that just an excuse?
The Bombers are saying the timing is 'just a coincidence', and that Kelly was getting the chop anyhow. (But then they could hardly say anything else!)

Yeah, that's a bad day all right. It's not quite midnight in Winnipeg - Kelly still has time to drive into a fire hydrant and be assaulted with a golf club. The evening is young.

Kind of puts our concerns about coaches guilty of 'predictable play calling' into perspective, though.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
squishy35
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:You say that like a woman hitting a man is OK? Physical assaults regardless of gender are deplorable. In this day and age, it is high time we dispensed with the notion that a form of violence is either more or less acceptable depending on the gender of the victim. It is all bad, period.
Image Image Image

Bravo and well said, Sir P! I was thinking just that very thing, but you said it much better!

Exactly where did I say it is ok for anyone to hit anyone?????? If you must put words in someone's mouth make it your own...... Again read my post...... where does it say that I said it is ok for a woman to hit a man....? Where? Show me.......