A Sad Loss--Sorry Rider Fans!!!!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Saskatchewan fans were as outstanding as their football team today on Grey Cup Sunday.

To lose the Grey Cup, on a too many men on the field penalty, is heartbreaking...after playing such a great game. Somebody on the Riders special team unit is responsible for counting the number of players on the field. I don't remember if Saskatchewan had a timout.

A memorable and crazy finish, with Saskatchewan thinking they had won the game and then losing the game in the way they did has to be devastating. Hard to know what happened but someone is accountable. Ken Miller, Paul LaPolice, and Etcheverry did a great job of coaching a team that didn't have the talent of a number of teams but did a tremendous job of coaching.

Saskatchewan overcame so many obstackes this season. My sympathies to all Rider fans and to the Riders team,who played their hearts out!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
lion24
Legend

Umm ok. And I applaud the Als for all the same reasons and overcoming a crowd, some questionable calls against them and the TSN Rider love in :beer:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Spud387
Champion

A sad loss for some, a very happy win for others :)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great game.

Didn't really care who won.

Glad for Calvillo after all his times getting close, but not quite finishing. A second Grey Cup on his resume.

My sympathies to the Rider fans, also. Vern Halen is always a good sport when he comes on here. And no team in Canada has more dedicated fans than the Riders. :beer:

My sympathies to the coaches and the 13th man on that second last play. Ugghhhh Sure it was a screwup, but under those circumstances, it could happen to most people.

The Riders players and coaches deserve credit for a great year. They are resilient. They have the courage to get over it.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Wow and bien fait Alouettes

Full marks to the Als for playing right until the final whistle, but how could the Riders have 13 men on the field????

Totally agree with lion24 about the TSN Rider love in, it was difficult wo watch at some points.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

It is going to make them hungrier next season, and Durant looks to be as solid as JJ without the problem of tossing the underneath stuff. They will be a team to contend with for years now, just think what an addition Dressler would have been on today's game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
lion24
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Wow and bien fait Alouettes

Full marks to the Als for playing right until the final whistle, but how could the Riders have 13 men on the field????

Totally agree with lion24 about the TSN Rider love in, it was difficult wo watch at some points.

I know I am heavily slanted against the Riders but the pregame show was ridiculous and I am sorry but I just do not like the Riders, I have to put up with a lot worse comments from Rider fans about the Lions. Vern and many are good visitors but many of them are way out of line as well.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Blitz
Team Captain

Rider fans are enthusiastic....sometimes overenthusiastic and get carried away....but you have to feel sorry for a team that plays its heart out as an underdog and would have won the game, in not for the special teams penalty.

I just admire the heart of the Rider players today and the coaching of Miller, LaPolice, and Etcheverry, who overcame so much. Trestmann is a great coach as well. They were two very well coached teams playing in the Grey Cup. I thought Wes Cates was awesome.

Why the hell didn't we sign Jamal Richardson as a free agent when we had the chance to...he was almost unstoppable out there..
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Vern Halen
Champion

Ugh.

I am at a loss for words right now.

Not the way I wanted it to go down, for sure.. I think the Riders had 12 on the line for the FG attempt + Armstead for the return = 13 men.

For a team that almost no-one figured to even make the playoffs, to (one penalty away from) almost taking the Grey Cup from a heavily favored Alouettes team, we are proud of our Riders and are looking forward to next year, when we will see Darian Durant take another step towards being a marquee QB in this league.

Rider Nation has a bitter pill to swallow tonight, but we love our Riders all the same. Good job this season, boys.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:Ugh.

Not the way I wanted it to go down, for sure.. I think the Riders had 12 on the line for the FG attempt + Armstead for the return = 13 men.

For a team that almost no-one figured to even make the playoffs, to (one penalty away from) almost taking the Grey Cup from a heavily favored Alouettes team, we are proud of our Riders and are looking forward to next year, when we will see Darian Durant take another step towards being a marquee QB in this league.

Rider Nation has a bitter pill to swallow tonight, but we love our Riders all the same. Good job this season, boys.
:thup:

I've got some sympathy for the Green Riders right now. Miller and those guys ... They'll be back.

Hang in there, Vern. They had a great year. :beer:
Blitz
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:Ugh.

Sorry Vern Halen....a most devastating loss.

You're right..the Riders had 12 men lined up to block the field goal and Armstead in the end zone. Not sure if there was confusion whether you didn't want a returner on the play or not....it's usually the returner who counts the number of men but Armstead also came on late...may have been confusion. I thought you had a timeout. Not sure why you didn't call one, if you did. Would have let you compose and also freeze Duvall but he missed the first attempt anyway.

Some kind of mental error on someone's part....or you would have won and deserved to win, outside of that play.
Vern Halen
Champion

Thanks for the kind words, folks, but I'm really disappointed right now.

We were one stupid penalty from taking the Cup away from a team that many expected to beat us by three touchdowns.

Even though there are some already looking for a goat for tonight we Rider fans are very proud of our team right now, and we are hoping for another great season next year. Another thing I was pleased with: By being classy in defeat Miller garnered more respect than you can imagine. Trophies come an go, but respect and honour are forever.

Here's to another great season of the CFL! :beer:

This is the part I hate the most - THE OFF-SEASON.

Here's hoping the Lions have a bounce back season from injuryville this past year - trust me, I know how it feels.

Cheers, Lionbackers!!! :rockin: :thup:
Blitz
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:Thanks for the kind words, folks, but I'm really disappointed right now.

We were one stupid penalty from taking the Cup away from a team that many expected to beat us by three touchdowns.

Even though there are some already looking for a goat for tonight we Rider fans are very proud of our team right now, and we are hoping for another great season next year. Another thing I was pleased with: By being classy in defeat Miller garnered more respect than you can imagine. Trophies come an go, but respect and honour are forever.

Here's hoping the Lions have a bounce back season from injuryville this past year - trust me, I know how it feels.

Cheers to you...Vern Halen...it may not count on the Grey Cup trophy, but in so many ways you won the game tonite. Sometimes, in that situation, a team will put 12 men out there and no returner. However, you had Armstead on both times. Makes me think someone didn't come off the field.

Often a special team defensive unit will have a number of different units from a field goal block team to their standard unit to a no returner unit. Too much excitement in that moment probably. I still think a timeout should have been called, if you had one.

That's the responsibility of everyone on the unit.to communicate....even though your special teams coach Red is taking responsibility.
Spud387
Champion

Vern Halen wrote:Thanks for the kind words, folks, but I'm really disappointed right now.

Lets aim for an epic Riders/BC grey cup next year... we tried the East this year, can you do it next year please?? :p
In all seriousness, that loss hurts and although I wasn't cheering for the Riders, I can't imagine what I would be feeling if I was bleeding green. Sorry Vern :(