2009 - 97th Grey Cup Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, the big game is now here. The Alouettes are certainly the favourites. But it will be Montreal's seventh Grey Cup appearance since 2000, but they have won only one of them for a 1-5 record. Let's see if the Roughriders can upset the Alouettes.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Well, the big game is now here. The Alouettes are certainly the favourites. But it will be Montreal's seventh Grey Cup appearance since 2000, but they have won only one of them for a 1-5 record. Let's see if the Roughriders can upset the Alouettes.
which ever team loses is most certainly going to be upset :yes:
Last edited by KnowItAll on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This game brings together the two losingest teams in Grey Cup history. Here are the all-time Grey Cup records of the eight current teams, according to cfl.ca, ranked by winning percentage:

Toronto 15-6 (.714)
B.C. 5-4 (.556)
Edmonton 13-11 (.541)
Calgary 6-6 (.500)
Hamilton 7-10 (.411)
Winnipeg 9-14 (.391)
Montreal 5-10 (.333)
Saskatchewan 3-13 (.231)
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Winnipeg has won 10 cups, so not sure how accurate that list is......just sayin.

Bring on the big game!!!! :beer:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Winnipeg has won 10 cups, so not sure how accurate that list is......just sayin.

Winnipeg has indeed won 10 Cups. The 1935 winners were known as the Winnipeg Winnipegs. The Blue Bombers name didn't come into being until the next year, but it was the same club.
The_Pauser
Legend

Man...just watching the constant hilights frmo the EDF that they keep on showing during the pre-game show really stings. Ugh...

Go Riders!
Roar you Lions roar!
ziggy
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:
The 1935 winners were known as the Winnipeg Winnipegs...
Catchy name, why did they ever change it? :good:

:bb: HERE WE GO RIDERS, HERE WE GO! :wave:
Another team in the league was also using it, the Winni Pegs? :wink: Often referred to as the Eastern Pegs!
Vern Halen
Champion

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Winnipeg has won 10 cups, so not sure how accurate that list is......just sayin.

23-19

LOL - just messin' with ya, WCBF!!!!
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm pulling for the Riders. They had a lot to deal with this season beginning with the Tillman situatio.

To start 2009, the Saskatchewan Roughriders were without their defensive coordinator Ritchie Hall, three linebackers (Kitwana Jones, Maurice Lloyd, Anton McKenzie, and two starters from their secondary. On offence they lost D.J. Flick, lost their best receiver Dressler to injury, had to start four Canadian receivers, incluing Nicholson, whom we released, and had a quarterback in Durant, who was only declared their starter this season and didn't have a lot of experience. They were also without Cates for a while and lost Joe McGrath in the off-season because he wanted to return to Edmonton. They also lost projected starters in Wayne Smith and Leron Mitchell to injury.

However, excellent coaching by Miller, LaPolice, and Etcheverry and they're playing in the Grey Cup today, after finishing first in the West. The Riders had more challenges this season than our Leos did. They just overcame them! Who said coaching can't make a difference!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

Winnipeg has indeed won 10 Cups. The 1935 winners were known as the Winnipeg Winnipegs. The Blue Bombers name didn't come into being until the next year, but it was the same club.
But if that's the case, what about the Alouettes? The current version of the Alouettes has only won just one Grey Cup in 2002, and maybe two if you count their 1995 team when they were the Baltimore Stallions.

Should a sports team franchise be judged on its city, or its nickname? :hypno:

Vancouver has won a Stanley Cup before, even if its nickname was not called the ;canucks:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Gerry
Legend

Blitz wrote:I'm pulling for the Riders. They had a lot to deal with this season beginning with the Tillman situatio.

To start 2009, the Saskatchewan Roughriders were without their defensive coordinator Ritchie Hall, three linebackers (Kitwana Jones, Maurice Lloyd, Anton McKenzie, and two starters from their secondary. On offence they lost D.J. Flick, lost their best receiver Dressler to injury, had to start four Canadian receivers, incluing Nicholson, whom we released, and had a quarterback in Durant, who was only declared their starter this season and didn't have a lot of experience. They were also without Cates for a while and lost Joe McGrath in the off-season because he wanted to return to Edmonton. They also lost projected starters in Wayne Smith and Leron Mitchell to injury.

However, excellent coaching by Miller, LaPolice, and Etcheverry and they're playing in the Grey Cup today, after finishing first in the West. The Riders had more challenges this season than our Leos did. They just overcame them! Who said coaching can't make a difference!!!
It doesn't hurt either that they had one quarterback to stay healthy and start all season long. That, IMO was the biggest challenge, and the Riders did not face that. But hey, don't let me stop you from having a nice Buono bashing session...... carry on....
Enough is enough.
Spud387
Champion

Pfft Go Alouettes!! :wave:
LFITQ
Team Captain

Ok getting back to the Game for today...

I'm in a house divided.

My wife and eldest daughter are going for the Riders.
Me and my youngest daughter are cheering the Als.

And my wife has the smell of roasting turkey wafting through the house. She figured it was an easy supper for today. Not sure if it was a metaphor for the Larks, however....

Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
mightybuck
Legend

GO MONTREAL
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out