Stephen Williams Brings an Edge to Lions - Lowell Ullrich

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some excerpts from the article by Lowell Ullrich ...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Willi ... story.html

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province October 20, 2009
Mind you, it came in the form of one highly-illegal punch to the midsection of Bombers lineman Obby Khan, which resulted in the ejection of the recently-installed starting defensive tackle and will undoubtedly result in a fine by the CFL later this week.
Playing with an edge. Team first has to be the attitude of your players. But there are times when what might seem like a selfish act or reaction can be beneficial for a team.
"What happened [to Khan] was unfortunate, but what ... reminds you of Murphy is that [Williams] is an aggressive, tough guy who won't take bleep from anybody," GM/coach Wally Buono said.

"We needed to bring an edge to our team. We brought in Steve and JoJuan Armour and they've helped us." The shot to the 305-pound Khan, who remained lying on the turf for several minutes Sunday, drew a crowd response not unlike several of Murphy's road appearances with the Lions.
Williams' punch does not seem to have drawn the disapproval of his coach, Wally Buono. Just the opposite. Buono also liked the edge that Rob Murphy brought to his team. Trouble was, Murphy eventually became self-indulgent, lazy at practice and a bad role model for his team.
"On that play, it was a long pass. I was heading to the ball and [Khan] drove me down to the ground, face-first. When I got up on my hands and knees, he elbow-dropped me in the back of the neck and kneed me in my behind." At that point, agreed Williams, self-control was not an option.
As John Madden would say: "He's giving him the business down there."
Buono put Williams into the lineup against Calgary on Sept. 25 and said he'd give him four games to determine if the 28-year-old, who'd been holding out for one last NFL shot, had game.

B.C. is 3-1 since the move, and the coach now knows what he has in Williams.
Williams seems to have helped greatly in firming up the run defence of the Lions. He looks like Tyrone Williams. He plays like Tyrone Williams. He seems very much like the second coming of Tyrone Williams. Since Tyrone was Big T, that makes Stephen: Little T. With an edge.
Blitz
Team Captain

Not surprised that Wally didn't criticize Williams. Khan played it dirty and Williams got caught in the retaliation. On another thread there were some who were critical of Willams penalty and while I prefer the game to be played within the rules, there are rare occasions when things have to be settled in a different manner. This was one of them. A lot of things go on in the trenches or at the bottom of pilups or fumble recoveries.

We were too soft a team and too nice a team in the early going this season. Armour and Williiams have brought the edge we needed. As for our newest edition of Williams at tackle, If Ty Willimas was Big T then Williams is Bigger T, not Little T. The guy is huge and his arms are bigger than Ty's were as well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rick James
Legend

Steve Williams is my kind of Leo.

This team lacked attitude and swagger with the losses of Floyd And Murph. No wonder Wally is the best. He recognized this and made changes.

Williams is the best aquisition. He is a beast! Armour may not have been the best MLB available, but the change in attitude was just what the Dr. ordered.
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Not surprised that Wally didn't criticize Williams. Khan played it dirty and Williams got caught in the retaliation. On another thread there were some who were critical of Willams penalty and while I prefer the game to be played within the rules, there are rare occasions when things have to be settled in a different manner. This was one of them. A lot of things go on in the trenches or at the bottom of pilups or fumble recoveries.

We were too soft a team and too nice a team in the early going this season. Armour and Williiams have brought the edge we needed. As for our newest edition of Williams at tackle, If Ty Willimas was Big T then Williams is Bigger T, not Little T. The guy is huge and his arms are bigger than Ty's were as well.
Little T is a few inches shorter, thus the Little T moniker, however if he wants to use Big T I won't argue with him on it. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Little T is a few inches shorter, thus the Little T moniker, however if he wants to use Big T I won't argue with him on it. :beer:
True that.

I expect Stephen Williams already knows how much respect goes into him being compared to Tyrone Williams. It is a badge of honour to be nick-named after him.

Big T was the nicest guy you could imagine. A great big Teddy Bear, who was a ferocious Grizzly Bear on the football field.

I remember one time at practice years ago: In a one on one drill, Tyrone lost his balance and toppled over. From across the field someone, perhaps Geroy, called out: "That's a whole lot of man hitting the ground."
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Not surprised that Wally didn't criticize Williams. Khan played it dirty and Williams got caught in the retaliation. On another thread there were some who were critical of Willams penalty and while I prefer the game to be played within the rules, there are rare occasions when things have to be settled in a different manner. This was one of them. A lot of things go on in the trenches or at the bottom of pilups or fumble recoveries.

Not coming out in public in ripping is one thing and I didn't expect the HC to do this to the new guy. I still believe that Wally is not one to tolerate repeat offenders and has been known to call out DBs for cheating and going for INTs over staying in their assignments. In fact he has suggested that it will be a DBs downfall if it didn't change.

As a former football coach I am surprised that you advocate that settling personal scores is a good idea and is situational. How does a coach outline what situations that punching a player is okay in? How does he outline how far to take it? Once down that slippery slope to situational tolerance of retaliation you have a potential disaster when the guy is called to settle the score and takes a penalty that ends up costing them a crucial game. That strategy doesn't work with football teams.

The problem is what is the situation and how does a coach lay out the "rare occasions" rule? The few times I have been asked that by a player has foreshadowed problems down the line and none of them lasted as we wanted a disciplined team that didn't play outside the rules as it plain and simple is easier when you lay down the law that there are no reasons for players to lose their heads and hurt our team!

There aren't many coaches at the pro level in football who don't care about these things as Wally is a pretty stern disciplinarian when players do their own thing.
I am pretty sure none of his guys is reading the non-critical comments and saying I will do the same thing if I get a dirty player playing against me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Williams seems to have helped greatly in firming up the run defence of the Lions. He looks like Tyrone Williams. He plays like Tyrone Williams. He seems very much like the second coming of Tyrone Williams. Since Tyrone was Big T, that makes Stephen: Little T. With an edge.
Williams is exactly what the Lions needed all year. He just needs to stay in the game. On Sunday, Fred Reid averaged 3.5 yards on 6 carries before the ejection and 5.7 yards on 9 carries afterwards.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Give Khan credit. Asked afterward by the media about the punch, Khan said: "No personal feelings. It happens. We played with a lot of emotion on both sides. It happened. No hard feelings. If I see the guy, I'll give him a hug." :beauty:
Cool. I like Khan's attitude. Scheiss happens in the heat of battle. No hard feelings.

Warriors.

I recall a fight between Marty McSorley and Bob Probert, 2 heavyweights in hockey, representing their teams and teammates. They fought to virtual exhaustion. Then touched foreheads like teammates.

Video quality not so good, but you get the idea.
pennw
Legend

I too suspected that WB would not take the politically correct view espoused by some here , and that is good . Some suggested that WB would fine Williams and not "tolerate" his "selfish" act . As we see that is just a bunch hog wash . No doubt the other HC's around the league that saw that , quietly wish they had the guy on their roster too now .
If the PC view was correct , then all that goes on in the pile would have to be stopped . Fine/suspend Khan for the elbow to the back of Williams neck when he was down , as well as Williams for retaliation . But don't stop there , do it in all games , and we wouldn't have any players left on any teams , at least not linemen or linebackers . Some people just choose to turn a blind eye to reality .
Well said by Khan , to his credit that it was no big deal and that that sort of stuff goes on all the time including punches being thrown. The trick is not getting seen by the refs or at least doing it in a manner that they turn a blind eye to it .
They all slagged Murphy too when he was here , yet when he was a free agent the bidding war started .
korey&dante4ever
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Williams is exactly what the Lions needed all year. He just needs to stay in the game. On Sunday, Fred Reid averaged 3.5 yards on 6 carries before the ejection and 5.7 yards on 9 carries afterwards.
THIS ^^^
Although 6 and 9 carries is a small sample size, he was a big part and will be a big part in stopping the run heading into the playoffs.
How many DT's get 2 solo tackles on a shifty runningback through 1/3 of a football game?
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
hwgill
Legend

At CFL.ca there were people that said they would stop supporting their teams if Murphy played for them...I laughed...they are so full of crap.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:I too suspected that WB would not take the politically correct view espoused by some here , and that is good . Some suggested that WB would fine Williams and not "tolerate" his "selfish" act . As we see that is just a bunch hog wash . No doubt the other HC's around the league that saw that , quietly wish they had the guy on their roster too now .
If the PC view was correct , then all that goes on in the pile would have to be stopped . Fine/suspend Khan for the elbow to the back of Williams neck when he was down , as well as Williams for retaliation . But don't stop there , do it in all games , and we wouldn't have any players left on any teams , at least not linemen or linebackers . Some people just choose to turn a blind eye to reality .
Well said by Khan , to his credit that it was no big deal and that that sort of stuff goes on all the time including punches being thrown. The trick is not getting seen by the refs or at least doing it in a manner that they turn a blind eye to it .
They all slagged Murphy too when he was here , yet when he was a free agent the bidding war started .
I don't mind someone disagreeing with my views - that is fine but don't start twisting what I said when you quote a word I used in a post and then make silly statements.

I don't think any post on this board suggested that Wally should take the "politically correct view" and I must admit I don't recall a post saying Wally should fine the guy. I think a number of posters suggested that the player was wrong to retaliate as these undisciplined plays can end up losing a game in football. There was not one post here that smacked of anything like that. As far as fines go, if Wally has a regime of fines for being ejected - he might have as many pro teams do - then is that what you'd call "politically correct"?

The distinction between the posters here is those who felt it was a good thing to set a tone and establish their physical presence and are okay with the ST ejection and those like me who believe that football is about discipline and that there is no excuse for a lack of discipline including what this guy did. Not one post suggested Wally should be issuing a public statement calling the guy out. Not one. I know you are twisting what I said in my post.

Now if this led directly to a loss in this game would posters be saying.. 'hey right on big Steve'. 'Every Lion should be punching someone. We are happy to lose just to see Khan sitting on his butt with the wind knocked out of him.' I very much doubt it.

The point about discipline is that in lower levels of football you will often hear of "winning team" and "disciplined play" together as the losers took too many unnecessary penalties and ended up losing. There guys were settling scores while the other guys were accomplishing their objective - win the game.

The smart coaches know that you can't write a script for a player and say if he does this to you, you can punch him back. That is why coaches instill discipline in their teams and that is what makes football played like pros a great game to watch.

I still can't find a single post where someone on these boards said fine the guy for the ejection. I think most are happy with his play and don't want him to make this a habit. While on fines Wally has among his list of things he will fine a player for what Lowell noted in his blog when he was writing on the fine from the prior Bombers game: "There's a category among the list of fines that can be imposed by Wally Buono where the coach can assess a financial penalty for conduct detrimental to the Lions." That is a pretty broad category and could apply to player ejection situations. You might find that Wally will fine a player (he has) to be consistent and not risk problems in his team where one guy gets off and others are angry that they lost money for fines for less. This is especially true in football where some aren't making the big bucks that their top guys do. If he fined the player he might do it privately and not make a huge deal of it and I don't see why he would. Few fans but those present actually saw it but the team video will show it.

For me this is about winning games, not settling personal scores. I do see the opposite views in community sports though where some coaches have players you know he sends out to hurt opponents as they don't care about penalties, etc. They are just dirty. I learned as a coach that if I can instill that sense of discipline at all times in the team that football teams have my chances are better to win championships. There used to be a team in senior soccer in Vancouver that would was great to start the year but always failed to win promotion to Premier or advance in open cup play because by year end they were all having to sit out due to too many cards. I had my teams take about 4 yellows per year (usually 1 was justified) and hadn't had a red (other than for me as coach) in 8 years or more. The guy who took the red card paid his fine and never played another game. He was a whiner even in practice and didn't last the season. If I get a new player asking how much he has to take before he can retaliate, I either won't sign him or he does it our way.

For me football (not soccer) is the one game with a lot of aggression that is controlled without the need to fight or punch after the whistle. Dirty players in pro ball exist but discipline trumps that every time. I made it a strict policy (contrary to the club rules) that players pay their own fines and they had to retrieve their player card themselves. The other teams in the club had constant problems because the club paid and they got the player cards and presented their cases at the hearings.

----------------------------------
Discipline in football occurs on the field, not off it. Discipline is knowing what you're supposed to do and doing it as best you can. ~ John Madden

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments. ~ Jim Rohn - not a football coach but good quote as it speaks about what you need to do to win.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

hwgill wrote:At CFL.ca there were people that said they would stop supporting their teams if Murphy played for them...I laughed...they are so full of crap.
However that would explain some of the attendance that is happening in TO currently.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

What ever toppy , i never even quoted you . For a guy who tries to come on here and post like your some old wizened coach with excessively long winded posts , you sure do get in alot of immature incidents . The PC references i made is a generalization to stuff i've heard over a period of many years not necessarily from any one here , but in general about the view that you must never lose your cool and get a penalty that hurts your team regardless of circumstance . And apparently WB disagrees with that too . To bad your view coincides with that what i call the "PC" view , I ain't going to change my opinion to please you .