Leos Canadian Receivers-A Dismal Situation

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Whatever happened to our Leos ability to draft quality Canadian receivers. The Ryan Thelwells, Jason Clermonts, and Paris Jackson's of the future have not been drafted by our Leos.

If there are two places where you really need quality Canadian's it's on the offensive line and receiver positions. We're fortunate that we have two starting Canadian defensive ends, an anomoly that allows us to play an extra import.

However we're down to Hetherington, who has hardly played and the desperate return of Bret Anderson. Our drafting for this position has been horrible. It's something we gotta get corrected for the future.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We did draft Matt Carter. Too bad he choose to leave the Lions Den
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:We did draft Matt Carter. Too bad he choose to leave the Lions Den
Matt Carter didn't make the team. I doubt that was his choice.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:We did draft Matt Carter. Too bad he choose to leave the Lions Den
Matt Carter didn't make the team. I doubt that was his choice.
He was going to be groomed the Buono way, first the pr, then ST, then playing time if you passed the previous two levels. It was other teams that made the push on the Lions draft picks, showing that they don't have the same depth as the Lions when it comes to NI's.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

We have lots of young Canadian receivers - even a surplus of them.

What'll you give us for one?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Adam Nicolson. That pick did not work out for us.

Matt Carter. Don't know yet whether he is a top level talent considering how highly he was drafted. If he showed more in Training Camp, he would have been protected on the 46 man roster. Or he would even have beaten out Greg Hetherington or O'Neil Wilson on the depth chart.

I agree with Blitz. Our drafting of non-import receivers has not been good since the Paris Jackson draft.

Also, we have not had success recruiting non-imports that can come into the league and be game breakers. Arceneaux is close, and perhaps he is even there now. But the list of failures is very long.

As much as everyone likes the potential of RGM, he has not been a game breaker as a receiver. IMO he has contributed almost nothing as a receiver. He has shown some ability on kick returns. Here is the problematic thing for me about RGM. It seems to me that Job 1 for a receiver is catching the ball. Everything else is secondary. Will he ever have good hands? At some point, observers might have to decide he is always going to have less than top level catching ability.

Our receiving corps, what was once arguably the best in the league is not near to that level now. The CFL is a passing league. After quarterback, I would have to say the key group (which can contribute the most to your success) is the receivers. I would think most observers would say that Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatchewan all have better overall receiving corps than us now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

If you look at all the receivers drafted since Paris Jackson you can find a few who are playing good football and contributing to their teams. But among them all I think Andy Fantuz may be the only one who is an impact type receiver in the same light as Jackson. Chris Bauman was drafted 1st overall a few years ago and is still struggling to find his game in Hamilton with only 12 catches this year. Just as the Lions seem to be struggling to find or develop quality NI receivers so are most of the other teams. That may also be a factor in why teams are raiding others. Everybody is looking.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ziggy
Legend

Vern Halen wrote:We have lots of young Canadian receivers - even a surplus of them.

Coach Chapdelaine and a bucket of Gatorade?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:We have lots of young Canadian receivers - even a surplus of them.

Coach Chapdelaine and a bucket of Gatorade?
As well as Paul McCallum and an assistant coach to be named later. (Rumoured to be Mike Benevides) :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Another player I liked was Orland Cetoute (Tor) who's seemed to have dropped off the face of the earth.
I think you mean Obed Cetoute, the former Central Michigan Chippewa. Another good prospect is current Chips WR Kito Poblah from Montreal. He's a redshirt junior so I think he's CFL draft eligible next April.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:If you look at all the receivers drafted since Paris Jackson you can find a few who are playing good football and contributing to their teams. But among them all I think Andy Fantuz may be the only one who is an impact type receiver in the same light as Jackson. Chris Bauman was drafted 1st overall a few years ago and is still struggling to find his game in Hamilton with only 12 catches this year. Just as the Lions seem to be struggling to find or develop quality NI receivers so are most of the other teams. That may also be a factor in why teams are raiding others. Everybody is looking.
Rob Bagg is the next great Canadian receiver in this league in my book.

Ummm....are we forgetting about Jamal Lee? Yes, he's a running back. No, we haven't signed him yet. But given that he's such a stud athlete, I am sure he could turn out to be an excellent receiving prospect for us.

Also, with the play this year of O'Neil Wilson, not to mention the fact that Paris is not going anywhere for awhile, I am not too concerned about our non-import receiving depth.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Yep, Obed Cetoute, that's the guy :wink: not sure what happened to him? And yes, Jamal Lee. I would guess the Lions current contract offer is not quite as generous as the one made earlier this season, with Lee snubbing the Lions in the hope of landing a Practice squad spot in the NFL. I doubt Lee would vault over Hetherington, who has toiled with the Lions since training camp, on the depth chart...especially in a position he's never played.
He would 'vault' over Hetherington just to protect him on our roster.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bclions16
Champion

Blitz wrote:Whatever happened to our Leos ability to draft quality Canadian receivers. The Ryan Thelwells, Jason Clermonts, and Paris Jackson's of the future have not been drafted by our Leos.
It's not like they were all drafted at the same time! As Hambone states well, there have been precious few good new Canadian receivers for a while.
Three factors in drafting: scouting/prep, draft position, and luck. Miss out on just one of those and maybe, just maybe one of the other seven teams may get the descent receiver we didn't land. Of course the Lions do a good job on scouting and preparation, but making a pick is still just an educated guess as best.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████