Pacman Jones going to Winnipeg?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SI.com is reporting that the Bombers have signed Adam "Pacman" Jones to a 1 year deal. Presumably he'd be hoping to return to the NFL as an option year player after the season. Jones managed to wear out his welcome with both Tennessee and Dallas for off-field reasons. That reminds me of an old joke:

Q: 4 Dallas Cowboys are riding in a car. Who's driving?
A: The policeman.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/f ... index.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
LakeLions
Rookie

Good thing Winnipeg destroyed the Lions, or we might really be wondering what's going on over there.

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed the troubled Adam (Pacman) Jones in an attempt to solve their kick-return woes.

Jones's ability as a player has never been questioned, but he has been suspended several times by the National Football League for his off-field activity. Most notably, Jones was involved in a strip joint shooting that left a man paralyzed.

Jones is expected to be in Winnipeg on Wednesday to begin his Canadian Football League career.

“It'll be a good experience for me to get back in game shape and compete and play football, which I like to do,” Jones told SI.com. “I'm real happy for the opportunity that's been given to me. Of course it's disappointing to me to not be playing in the NFL. But things happen and you have to adjust.”

Blue Bombers personnel director John Murphy told SI.com that Jones will be a difference maker in the CFL.

“If I was in the same position in the NFL I might have a lot more reservations,” said Murphy. “But for me it's a win-win. I'm smart enough to know that if I'm looking for somebody who can be a playmaker for the second half of our season, there isn't a better football player who's not in the NFL, at 25 years old, who's ready to play football, is going to play with a chip on his shoulder, and is going to bring some fun and excitement to our team, our locker-room, our city, and our league.

“And at the same time it's a business decision as well as football decision. From a marketing standpoint, a business standpoint and a football standpoint, I could go to 100 NFL training camps and every pre-season game and more people will hear and know about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the next two weeks - from the coverage we'll receive - than in the last 10 years.”

Jones played for the Dallas Cowboys and Tennessee Titans in the NFL
Ron
Starter

Hmmm....I'm having a flashback of Dexter Manley. I'm guessing he probably will be in Winnipeg short term before he high tails it out of there. My bet is he doesn't last the season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I question how a convicted felon (if it is true he was convicted) can cross the border like that? Canadians couldn't be heading south like that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“ Of course it's disappointing to me to not be playing in the NFL. But things happen and you have to adjust.”
Great. It's not the NFL. It's only the CFL. But, what the heck, he's gotta do something to keep himself off the streets and out of jail.
“If I was in the same position in the NFL I might have a lot more reservations,” said Murphy. “But for me it's a win-win. I'm smart enough to know that if I'm looking for somebody who can be a playmaker for the second half of our season, there isn't a better football player who's not in the NFL, at 25 years old, who's ready to play football, is going to play with a chip on his shoulder, and is going to bring some fun and excitement to our team, our locker-room, our city, and our league.
Yes. Coming to your team. A dose of poison. A dose of self-serving. A dose of disrespect for the community. Oh, and can someone tell PacMan which are the best night clubs in Winnipeg? A guy has to have his recreation.
“And at the same time it's a business decision as well as football decision. From a marketing standpoint, a business standpoint and a football standpoint, I could go to 100 NFL training camps and every pre-season game and more people will hear and know about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the next two weeks - from the coverage we'll receive - than in the last 10 years.”
Oh yeah. The whole world wants to know what Adam Jones is doing. 24/7. What trouble he gets into in Winnipeg will be top of the news in places like Dallas and Tennessee. Great from a marketing standpoint.

Ughhhhhh
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:Oh yeah. The whole world wants to know what Adam Jones is doing. 24/7. What trouble he gets into in Winnipeg will be top of the news in places like Dallas and Tennessee. Great from a marketing standpoint.

Ughhhhhh
Maybe he will be able to stay out of trouble. He may be able to get up here, but perhaps his entourage who seem to be as much or more a cause for his problems can't come with him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I guess we'll see how he does. He obviously needs to prove to the NFL he can stay out of trouble and play well.

Otherwise, he may be out of football and the millions he could make in the NFL. He's not here for the small amount of cash he will get in the CFL.

Could be a great signing or another NFL bust. No question he has talent.
nelson95
Legend

wonder what Doug Brown thinks?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I question how a convicted felon (if it is true he was convicted) can cross the border like that? Canadians couldn't be heading south like that.
Gordon Campbell can.
nelson95
Legend

probert did it

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Tighthead
Legend

I am pretty sure he is not a convicted felon.
mrs.joesports
Rookie

The Argos must not have offered him enough....
This is OUR league...
Rammer
Team Captain

mrs.joesports wrote:The Argos must not have offered him enough....
He may have been placed on the Bombers neg list.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As long as there are no peeler bars in Winnipeg, Pacman should be OK.
Kamloops Lion
All Star

He'd be happier in Vancouver, where it "rains" more often.