Jarious To Start Against Montreal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Bosco
Team Captain

Wally Buono announced on Team 1040 that Jarious Jackson will be the starting QB in next week's game against the Als.

WB said that although both QB's are healthy, Jackson still seems to be the "healthier" of the two.

Feel free to discuss..... :roar:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:Wally Buono announced on Team 1040 that Jarious Jackson will be the starting QB in next week's game against the Als.

WB said that although both QB's are healthy, Jackson still seems to be the "healthier" of the two.

Feel free to discuss..... :roar:
"both QB's are healthy ... "

That would be Jarious the Good and Jarious the Bad? :wink: Identical twins. It's easy to choose the wrong one to start the game. As long as Jarious the Good gets to finish ...

I expect our run defence will look better. It would be hard-pressed to look as bad as it did against the Bombers.

Everyone seems to acknowledge that Marc Trestman is a very capable coach. If the Lions play well against the Alouettes, should we do an about face and consider Wally Buono a good coach again? If the Lions do well, would that be a validation for a conservative philosophy of football (execution takes precedence over subtlety, variety and deception)?

When a team is down in the dumps, sometimes it is best to play a very tough opponent. We will see if the Lions rise to the challenge. They might. If they don't, the season will get even uglier.
nelson95
Legend

excellent

now as long as he doesn't have to look over his shoulder...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

I think it's the wisest decision he could have made and the safest one for Buck's health. I couldn't agree more than how DD assessed Buck at this stage in his recovery.
Dave Dickenson wrote: "But that's fine so long as he takes a little more time than he probably wants to... There will be another one (concussion) eventually. The way he plays the game, and the way I played it, you can't avoid them."
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Rammer
Team Captain

I would have expected that, although I don't think that JJ is a good fit for the Als D, unless our OL can hold the fort for 5 seconds.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Smart move. The lesson from past concussions seems to be to take extra time to recuperatre after symptoms disappear. I would rather have Buck sit now and play later in the year than to have him play too soon and risk further injury.

All things being equal, I would rather have Buck play against Montreal but both QBs have done well against the Als. Buck played in Montreal last year and had perhaps the best game of his career, with 38 completions for 406 yards in a last-minute loss marked by a season-turning goal-line stand. Jarious played the home game against Montreal last year and passed for 319 yards in a 36-34 B.C. victory.
LFITQ
Team Captain

But did Wally mention anything about using the running game (or how about a few plays) before late in the 2nd Q??

QB doesn't concern me as much as the playcalling. Both Buck and Jarious have shown they can win the games if they are given support by both the other players AND the coaches.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
almo89
Legend

LFITQ wrote:But did Wally mention anything about using the running game (or how about a few plays) before late in the 2nd Q??

QB doesn't concern me as much as the playcalling. Both Buck and Jarious have shown they can win the games if they are given support by both the other players AND the coaches.
Word, I didn't even think JJ played that bad last game. Sure he threw some INT's, but it doesn't help when the other D knows that you will throw the ball on every play. I wanna see how JJ can play when there is a steady dose of Mallet.
Bosco
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:But did Wally mention anything about using the running game (or how about a few plays) before late in the 2nd Q??

It also doesn't help when the couple of plays that did involve Mallett were runs between the tackles for two yards. That play worked for Winnipeg last week :shock: but not for the Lions.

Hopefully Chaps will open up the playbook a bit. :cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will Pierce be the backup or will it be Lulay and Champion ?
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Will Pierce be the backup or will it be Lulay and Champion ?
I hope they do the right thing and at least keep Buck out of uniform for another week, maybe 2 until he is completely healed.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

This announcement may be more about stating that Jackson is healthy. Remember he also got dinged up or had his bell rung in the Winnipeg game and didn't return.......not that there was reason to at that point. They may not have been sure if he could play next week until about now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Well I was already expecting we'd lose, this pretty much cements it.

I would honestly rather see Travis Lulay or Zach Champion in there than Mr. Turnover. Oh well.
Roar you Lions roar!
Bosco
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
I would honestly rather see Travis Lulay or Zach Champion in there than Mr. Turnover. Oh well.
Starting Lulay or Champion against Montreal would be akin to throwing them to the wolves. At least Jackson gives the Lions a chance to win. :cr:
The_Pauser
Legend

Bosco wrote: Starting Lulay or Champion against Montreal would be akin to throwing them to the wolves. At least Jackson gives the Lions a chance to win. :cr:
Does he? If he fumbles twice and gets picked off three times by the Bombers defense, what is Montreal gonna do to him?
Roar you Lions roar!