Mike Kelly

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionut
Hall of Famer

OK, so where does this guy rank in the history of bad head coaching hires in the CFL? He may not be quite as bad as John Huard in Toronto, but it's close. This is a Jeff Reinebold, Joe Paopao kind of awful. It is clear that the guy is totally out of his depth as a head coach. To compensate, he tries to act "colourful", i.e. play the fool. The contrast last night between smart, studious Marc Trestman and this fool was painfully apparent.

As a Lion fan, I hope they keep him for the balance of the year, but if I am a Winnipeg fan I want Lyle Bauer to admit his mistake and can this guy now before he can do any more damage.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionut wrote:As a Lion fan, I hope they keep him for the balance of the year, but if I am a Winnipeg fan I want Lyle Bauer to admit his mistake and can this guy now before he can do any more damage.
Now don't be too hasty. If Ottawa gets back in Winnipeg will be back in our division. :pray:
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:OK, so where does this guy rank in the history of bad head coaching hires in the CFL? He may not be quite as bad as John Huard in Toronto, but it's close. This is a Jeff Reinebold, Joe Paopao kind of awful. It is clear that the guy is totally out of his depth as a head coach. To compensate, he tries to act "colourful", i.e. play the fool. The contrast last night between smart, studious Marc Trestman and this fool was painfully apparent.

As a Lion fan, I hope they keep him for the balance of the year, but if I am a Winnipeg fan I want Lyle Bauer to admit his mistake and can this guy now before he can do any more damage.
From his early on interviews/media scrums, I thought that he had potential of Reinbold, from pre-season on, he was Berry all over, a dubious combination to say the least, especially if you are combining their negative attributes. That said, Winnipeg seems to have the makings of a good D, great receivers, even better RB, just lacking on the OL and most importantly the QB position. D will keep them in most games, the O will undue what the D has done.

But on any given Sunday, we know that they can win, it is the loses that make Kelly interviews 'interesting'.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:You only have to look at his first decision to name LeFors his starter when the player had never proven he can even play in CFL...then exasperate that mistake by not signing a veteran QB as backup...just in case his Lefors gamble didn't work out. A 10-year child could figure that out, but no so with Kelly. Buffoon and blowhard comes to mind. :clown: He will be gone by next season.
I wonder if he didn't sign the best gig in the CFL. The Bombers are on the line for Berry's contract for this season and next IIRC, so that becomes a safety net for Kelly. The Bombers simply can't justify paying out two HC and hire a third, it just doesn't make CFL economic sense.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:You only have to look at his first decision to name LeFors his starter when the player had never proven he can even play in CFL...then exasperate that mistake by not signing a veteran QB as backup...just in case his Lefors gamble didn't work out. A 10-year child could figure that out, but no so with Kelly. Buffoon and blowhard comes to mind. :clown: He will be gone by next season.
I wonder if he didn't sign the best gig in the CFL. The Bombers are on the line for Berry's contract for this season and next IIRC, so that becomes a safety net for Kelly. The Bombers simply can't justify paying out two HC and hire a third, it just doesn't make CFL economic sense.

We can't afford to can him. He's not the only problem, but he did create many of the problems we had.

Glenn may not be a superstar CFL QB but even an average QB in Wpg would have had greater success than what has been on the field the year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wondering if Larry Kuharich is available ?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

I love that people were on me for calling kelly a cancer early in the season. Seems I was bang on. That andrus character also seems to be quite the loser.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I love that people were on me for calling kelly a cancer early in the season. Seems I was bang on. That andrus character also seems to be quite the loser.
I wouldn't say he is a cancer. He's just in over his head. The reality is that ALL teams without a bona fida QB have the same problem.

Look at the Lions and their problems. Is Wally B an idiot all of a sudden? Are Buck and Jackson top tier CFL QB's?
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:I love that people were on me for calling kelly a cancer early in the season. Seems I was bang on. That andrus character also seems to be quite the loser.
I wouldn't say he is a cancer. He's just in over his head. The reality is that ALL teams without a bona fida QB have the same problem.

Look at the Lions and their problems. Is Wally B an idiot all of a sudden? Are Buck and Jackson top tier CFL QB's?
Wally doesn't handle situations as poorly as kelly. Kelly is like the ostrich with his head in the sand. both buck and jarious are upgrades on lefors/bishop.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Bosco
Team Captain

Another Kelly head scratcher is his out and out refusal to utilize the shotgun formation on offense. :pass:
Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:Another Kelly head scratcher is his out and out refusal to utilize the shotgun formation on offense. :pass:
I am not so sure about that....

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Image
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

"Non-issue, handled internally, not talking about it. Do we all understand each other now? Good. Next question."

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar