Game Day Thread: Lions vs. Stamps Jul 24

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Here it is. Game day. A pretty big game for both teams. Both of these teams had important wins last week. Both teams haven't had as great a start as either would have liked. This could be the game of week to see how this tumbles out and could be significant for the rest of the season. This could be the most significant game this week, but yes I am biased.

Time for the Lions to roar and the fans to be noisy! :yahoo:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

It's vitally important for the Lions to re-establish their running game. Buck needs to work with 2nd and five or less to be effective so Martell needs to get back to his earlier performances and put the Edmonton game behind him (which I attribute to him not getting his footing on the Commonwealth grass). Not much has been made of our abysmal running attack last week against the Esks (since we exploited them through the air and won the football game), but it's crucial to control the clock tonight and move the yard sticks.

26 yards on 15 running plays will not get it done against the Stampeders.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Tighthead
Legend

Labinjo is quite out of shape right now. That should be a welcome relief.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:Labinjo is quite out of shape right now. That should be a welcome relief.
I had heard this also, but read yesterday where the Stamps see him getting double and triple teamed, so either that is false or Labinjo must be back in playing shape.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:It's vitally important for the Lions to re-establish their running game. Buck needs to work with 2nd and five or less to be effective so Martell needs to get back to his earlier performances and put the Edmonton game behind him (which I attribute to him not getting his footing on the Commonwealth grass). Not much has been made of our abysmal running attack last week against the Esks (since we exploited them through the air and won the football game), but it's crucial to control the clock tonight and move the yard sticks.

26 yards on 15 running plays will not get it done against the Stampeders.

DH
I agree that the success of the B.C. rushing game is a key to the game, along with turnovers, as always. The Stamps overhauled their front-7 this season and they've been weak against the run. Toronto barely tested them last week. Robertson had only 5 carries for 26 yards. It's hard to beat the Stamps through the air but they have two rookies inside who will have the rough job of covering Paris Jackson and Geroy Simon. If the Lions can stretch the defence vertically and not turn the ball over, they can put up some points.

Defensively, the Lions have to stop Burris's bootlegs and misdirection plays. The Calgary offence stretches the field horizontally, creating mismatches and isolation plays in the flat. This will be a big test for Butler and Foley. If B.C.'s defensive ends get caught crashing inside on a fake handoff, Burris will make big plays.

The return of Ian Smart shuold give a spark to B.C.'s special teams. B.C. needs to start winning the return game again.

I expect a hard-fought game and hope the crowd helps by making lots of noise. This is a crucial early-season battle. I like the mindset of Wally and the Lions this year. It's nice to be cast as an underdog. Calgary has been struggling with post-Grey Cup complacency, along with some key injuries on offence and a lot of roster changes on defence. Home-field advantage could be the deciding factor.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Labinjo is quite out of shape right now. That should be a welcome relief.
I had heard this also, but read yesterday where the Stamps see him getting double and triple teamed, so either that is false or Labinjo must be back in playing shape.
Labinjo has been moved to defensive tackle this year, where he can use his big body to plug holes and occupy blockers. He has no sacks and only 5 tackles this year but he tends to play his best football against the Lions.
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions are 2.5 point favourites for this game, which is attributed to playing at home, earlier in the week Bowman's had the Lions in front by 3, so that hasn't been going in our favour.

If Mallet struggles like he did against the Esks, we are in for a heap of trouble, as BP will see a ton of blitzes. Even if Mallet collects his yards via short dump passes, it should slow down the Stamps enough to take advantage of PJ and Simon. Losing team is going to have to reflect upon its players, 1 - 3 isn't good enough in the CFL West.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Lions are 2.5 point favourites for this game, which is attributed to playing at home, earlier in the week Bowman's had the Lions in front by 3, so that hasn't been going in our favour.

If Mallet struggles like he did against the Esks, we are in for a heap of trouble, as BP will see a ton of blitzes. Even if Mallet collects his yards via short dump passes, it should slow down the Stamps enough to take advantage of PJ and Simon. Losing team is going to have to reflect upon its players, 1 - 3 isn't good enough in the CFL West.
Actually the Stamps are favoured by 2.5 points. When there is a -2.5 the team it is attributed to is expected to win by that much, so you can take that many points off their total score. In other words, the bookies are giving the Lions a 2.5 point lead to start the game to make it even. Also noted on Bowmans.com by the -120 for Calgary (bet $100 and you can win $83.33) and the +100 for the Lions (bet $100 to win $100).
Tighthead
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Labinjo has been moved to defensive tackle this year, where he can use his big body to plug holes and occupy blockers. He has no sacks and only 5 tackles this year but he tends to play his best football against the Lions.
Odd move. It is easier to find fat gap stuffers than game changing pass rushers. Late in the season last year, he was as disruptive as Wake.
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Rammer wrote:Lions are 2.5 point favourites for this game, which is attributed to playing at home, earlier in the week Bowman's had the Lions in front by 3, so that hasn't been going in our favour.

Actually the Stamps are favoured by 2.5 points. When there is a -2.5 the team it is attributed to is expected to win by that much, so you can take that many points off their total score. In other words, the bookies are giving the Lions a 2.5 point lead to start the game to make it even. Also noted on Bowmans.com by the -120 for Calgary (bet $100 and you can win $83.33) and the +100 for the Lions (bet $100 to win $100).
You are right, I made a mistake on that, thanks for the clarification. So given that the home team is generally at a 3 point advantage, the Lions are actually at 5.5 pt difference in their viewpoint.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote: You are right, I made a mistake on that, thanks for the clarification. So given that the home team is generally at a 3 point advantage, the Lions are actually at 5.5 pt difference in their viewpoint.
That's how I read it too. But I like being the underdog.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

No, he's naturally fat. :yahoo:

But for a fat guy, he can sure motor.
squishy35
Legend

Larry Key wrote:
No, he's naturally fat. :yahoo:

But for a fat guy, he can sure motor.

I think the correct term is "big boned"
Ravi
Legend

What is the expected attendance for tonight?
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer's inside scoop is correct.

Jon Cornish for the Stamps will be in the lineup tonight coming off the injured list.

Jon blogs about it here.