Will 1040's Programming changes mean more Lions coverage?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstdown45

Will 1040's Programming changes just announced mean more Lions talk and Lions content?

I say NO. Keep in mind the Lions Radio rights are up for renewal:

This road doesn't go to Rome

Team 1040 wants more local content

By Jim Jamieson
The Province
February 26, 2009

Vancouver sports talk radio station TEAM 1040 will shuffle its format on Monday to add more local content to its weekday daytime schedule.

TEAM 1040 program director Robert Gray confirmed on Wednesday that the station will move the Blake Price show with Dave Tomlinson, which currently runs weekdays from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., to the 9 a.m. to noon slot that has been occupied by the popular syndicated U.S.-based Jim Rome Show.

"We had a lot of feedback and more people want more local content in that morning slot," said Gray.

"We have a really strong show with Blake and Dave so we are going to move them to that prime-time spot. We're hoping to grow listenership and revenues."

Gray said the evening spot vacated by Price will be filled by a truncated version of the Jim Rome Show that runs about two hours and 15 minutes when Canucks games aren't on the schedule.

He said TEAM 1040 would be airing NHL playoff games once the post-season begins in April.

Ex-NHL player Tomlinson, who currently joins Price from 8-10 p.m., said he's looking forward to shifting to an audience that will be about four times the size of the night-time gig.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "I love talking hockey so the more people who are able to listen and give feedback, I'm looking forward to it."

Tomlinson said the new show will be more "dynamic" than the night-time version.

"We're going to be doing some of our shows right from GM Place when the Canucks are practising and also on game day, so we'll be able to get a lot more guests, especially out of town guests, the coaches and GMs of other teams," he said.

"We're really excited that we'll be in the new time slot for the NHL Trade Deadline next week (Wednesday), so we'll be doing our show as trades go down."

Tomlinson, who currently joins Price from 8-10 p.m., will join the daytime show from 10 a.m. to noon.

Gray said the remainder of the TEAM 1040 roster of shows would remain unchanged.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

There will be no more, but no less Lions talk than before.

Same shows at different times equal the same talk but at different times.

i'm pretty sure Rome doesn't talk about the Lions :wink: and Price and Tomlinson are hockey talkers.

So it's a wash.
Rick James
Legend

That sucks!

Rome is my favourite part of the work day.
Rammer
Team Captain

Rick James wrote:That sucks!

He will have a condensed show late night (probably flip flopping), little commercials although he will be bumped for sporting events.
Entertainment value = an all time low
firstdown45

1040 showing Lions no respect. I hope NW makes a bid
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Gray said the evening spot vacated by Price will be filled by a truncated version of the Jim Rome Show that runs about two hours and 15 minutes when Canucks games aren't on the schedule.
Sounds to me that the TEAM hasn't put much of a dent into Sports Talk's ratings so they're going the much more cheaper route and leaving the late night air waves to Mr. Russell.

More Canucks talk from 9-to-noon. Thank goodness. It will be a 3-hour pre-game for the Canuck Lunch at noon.
Tighthead
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Sounds to me that the TEAM hasn't put much of a dent into Sports Talk's ratings so they're going the much more cheaper route and leaving the late night air waves to Mr. Russell.

More Canucks talk from 9-to-noon. Thank goodness. It will be a 3-hour pre-game for the Canuck Lunch at noon.
I don't see how this option is any cheaper. They have the same staff, the same production costs, just rearranged.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Meant cheap option to combat Russell which is their only competition in this town.
Tighthead
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Meant cheap option to combat Russell which is their only competition in this town.
Gotcha.

I get the feeling that Russell's audience is loyal, but also static if that makes sense. He likes to talk about how much better things were 15+ years ago, complain about Bettman, and offer little real analysis. I don't know if that attracts much of a new audience.

I don't know enough about radio to know how many listeners are available at night as opposed to day. It sounds like the TEAM is saying the day pie is larger, and it wouldn't make sense to fight over crumbs.

Countering with Rome could actually be clever - completely different demographics/audiences.
nelson95
Legend

Dan Russell pumping his fist
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Dan russell is an arrogant twit, i refuse to listen to him.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Rick James wrote:That sucks!

Rome is brilliant. He has the incredible ability to pack a 45-minute show into a mere three-hour time slot.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Dan russell is an arrogant twit, i refuse to listen to him.
:whs: :whs:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Meant cheap option to combat Russell which is their only competition in this town.
Gotcha.

I get the feeling that Russell's audience is loyal, but also static if that makes sense. He likes to talk about how much better things were 15+ years ago, complain about Bettman, and offer little real analysis. I don't know if that attracts much of a new audience.

I don't know enough about radio to know how many listeners are available at night as opposed to day. It sounds like the TEAM is saying the day pie is larger, and it wouldn't make sense to fight over crumbs.

Countering with Rome could actually be clever - completely different demographics/audiences.
Make sense to me - Russell annoys me too, but I can handle small doses of him... same with Rome... would make for some good channel-surfing!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jim Rome's show was the best thing on TEAM 1040. It's much-needed relief from the constant hockey talk on the local programs. Price and Tomlinson are the worst offenders in that regard. As far as I'm concerned, this just cements Team 1040's reputation as Team 10-Hockey. I won't listen to Price and Tomlinson. I'll be listening to the Jim Rome show live on KPUG Bellingham (1170 AM).