Cam Wake signs a 4 year deal with the Miami Dolphins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Balraj
All Star

Cam Wake has signed a 4 year deal worth $4.9 million, with $1 million being guranteed money. This is the largest contract signed by a player coming out of the CFL to the NFL. It's also mentioned that he will be switching over the OLB. I wonder why he chose the Dolphins, oh well I guess we'll find out why the Dolphins. Either way, It was a pleasure to watch him play, probably the best defensive player I've seen in the CFL in years. Thanks Cam, for your dedication, professionalism, constant work ethic and always bringing 110% every play. May you rip it up in the NFL and give the lions a shout out during the SNF games on NBC.

Here's the link: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=263854& ... lines_main
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... tball/home

"Former B.C. Lions defensive end Cameron Wake has signed a four-year deal with the Miami Dolphins that includes a guarantee of $1-million (U.S.) dollars, the largest contract for a CFL player jumping to the NFL in recent years."

Thanks for the memories, Cam.
David
Team Captain

:bawl:

One player does not a team make I realize, but it's still hard to believe that we didn't win a Grey Cup with a player this dominant in our line-up.

Anyway, best of luck to Cam. Truly a class guy. I am sure he'll fondly remember his time in a Lions uniform and I'll sure be cheering for him in the years to come!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That's a tremendous contract. Congratulations, Cam. A lot of CFL fans will be pulling for you, and following the Dolphins with great interest.
Tighthead
Legend

Great choice for Wake. They are a team on the upswing with no dominant pr. As an OLB in the scheme he will rush the passer constantly, without having to line up on the line of scrimmage.

He is the most dominant CFLer I have ever seen, any position. A man among boys at times.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I'm sure there are some opposing tackles and QBs breathing a sigh of relief tonight. That is a tremendous contract for an undrafted free agent. Well done Cam and amazing what he accomplished up here in just 2 seasons.
No doubt a large hole that simply can't be filled. Look for the Lions to retool their defence around their linebacking (like they did earlier this decade in the Simpson/Kidd era) if FA goes their way.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to you, Cam. :beer:

You are no doubt the most talented player I have ever seen with the Lions. And a super nice guy as well. I wish you all the best.

That's a helluva vote of confidence to be signed by the Dolphins of Bill Parcells. I've been starting to root for them a bit since Parcells joined the organization. Now I will definitely be on board with them.

I had the opportunity to chat with Cal Murphy when he was scouting Cam in the Fall for the Colts. Cal thought Cam Wake would be too much of a tweener to be of interest to Parcells. I guess talent matters more than size, even with Parcells. And, as Tighthead has pointed out, Parcells has had tweeners on his teams before, although it's obvious he likes mostly very large, very physical players.

At 265 lbs, the weight Cam had in his last year here, he would be a very large linebacker in the NFL. He would even be big enough for DE for most teams. We will see what weight they want him to play at.

Kick ass down there, Cam. Go, Fins.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

We'll miss you Cam! :bawl: You were the best, good luck and kick some ass in Miami! :beer:
Tighthead
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Congratulations to you, Cam. :beer:

I had the opportunity to chat with Cal Murphy when he was scouting Cam in the Fall for the Colts. Cal thought Cam Wake would be too much of a tweener to be of interest to Parcells. I guess talent matters more than size, even with Parcells. And, as Tighthead has pointed out, Parcells has had tweeners on his teams before, although it's obvious he likes mostly very large, very physical players.

At 265 lbs, the weight Cam had in his last year here, he would be a very large linebacker in the NFL. He would even be big enough for DE for most teams. We will see what weight they want him to play at.

Kick ass down there, Cam. Go, Fins.
WCJ - this comment of Murphy's never made any sense to me. Often OLBs in 3-4 schemes are converted undersized DEs - tweeners to the core, like Mike Vrabel. Also, if you compare Wake with DeMarcus Ware, this year's Butkus award winner, they are similar in size. At his current weight, it is quite likely Wake's best fit.

Maybe Cal has been watching to much of the Tampa 2 stuff in Indy.
Rammer
Team Captain

Best wishes to a successful NFL career Cameron Wake. I am sure that his off season workout is second to none, thus head and shoulders above the last CFL'er that made the $1M bonus a farce.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

Rammer wrote:Best wishes to a successful NFL career Cameron Wake. I am sure that his off season workout is second to none, thus head and shoulders above the last CFL'er that made the $1M bonus a farce.
Who was that?

I know Tango McCauley ate his $100K bonus, after first converting it to beer, biscuits and gravy.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
Rammer wrote:Best wishes to a successful NFL career Cameron Wake. I am sure that his off season workout is second to none, thus head and shoulders above the last CFL'er that made the $1M bonus a farce.
Who was that?

I know Tango McCauley ate his $100K bonus, after first converting it to beer, biscuits and gravy.
You sure that it was only $100K, I thought it was a $1M, but that is who I meant.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
Who was that?

You sure that it was only $100K, I thought it was a $1M, but that is who I meant.
Yes - I am a Dallas fan and recall it well. Lots of guys show up fat in TC (Dallas has such legends as Nate Newton and Derek Kennard in recent history), but he was remarkably so. It must have been something to see.
ziggy
Legend

Good to see him make some big bucks. Sounds like his new agent negotiated a pretty good deal, which should set him up pretty good financially for the rest of his career.