Upgrading BC Place Stadium will cost $365 million

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

From Vancouver Sun:
VANCOUVER - The B.C. government has approved the business case for a $365-million upgrade of BC Place, which will include a retractable roof estimated at about $200 million.
Article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Upgrading+P ... story.html
Real women wear orange!!
David
Team Captain

LOL, what did I say last time about every article on B.C. Place referencing the Whitecaps?

"The retractable roof project is crucial to the Vancouver Whitecaps' bid to win a Major League Soccer franchise..."

CRUCIAL don't you know! So crucial in fact, the article mentioned it twice.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
firstdown45

the Whitecaps will be playing twice as many home games in there as the Lions will...

throw in concerts... the Lions are no longer just the only tenant in there, which is the way it always should've been...

how does the $ 365 million price tag affect the sale value of the team?
David
Team Captain

firstdown45 wrote:the Whitecaps will be playing twice as many home games in there as the Lions will...

throw in concerts... the Lions are no longer just the only tenant in there, which is the way it always should've been...

how does the $ 365 million price tag affect the sale value of the team?
Twice as many home games to half as many fans. What's your point?

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
firstdown45

The Sounders already have 20,000 season tickets and the way the Lions are fading, I could see the Whitecaps crowds challenging the Lions crowds.

Caps fans are better fans too. On a goal they stand up and cheer and yell like fans should do; Lions fans for the most part remain seated and politely clap
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:LOL, what did I say last time about every article on B.C. Place referencing the Whitecaps?

"The retractable roof project is crucial to the Vancouver Whitecaps' bid to win a Major League Soccer franchise..."

DH 8)
Practically the entire article seems to be repeated, due to what appears to be an editing error. As for the Whitecaps getting run in this article, which might be perceived as a snub to the Lions, do these renovations have any impact on the Lions' presence at BC Place or the future of the team? They're staying put until the building is levelled, so I don't see the point. Surely we're not in such dire need of validation for our team as to insist on seeing its name in print at every last opportunity?

I'm only offering this comment for balance. I'm a Lions fan, too, but I'm having a tough time getting too worked up over this; at this point I'm seeing it more in let-the-baby-have-his-bottle terms. On the other hand, if anyone knows there's some true bias in the reportage on BC Place renovations, feel free to call it out: I don't really follow the Whitecaps so I'd be sincerely interested in learning the names and whatever conflicts of interest might exist.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:The Sounders already have 20,000 season tickets and the way the Lions are fading, I could see the Whitecaps crowds challenging the Lions crowds.

Caps fans are better fans too. On a goal they stand up and cheer and yell like fans should do; Lions fans for the most part remain seated and politely clap

Then get the f*** off this Board and go peddle your tripe on a Caps board.

Did you get the acne cream I sent you for Christmas?
firstdown45

Soccer is the world's most popular sport. These upgrades will help Kerfoot win his Major League Soccer bid for the Whitecaps which will certainly boost Vancouver's profile, not to the same extent as the NBA Grizzlies did, but a boost nevertheless.

The only tangible benefit to the BC Lions is sunshine and open air for two or three Lions games in the summer on warm days/nights.

This expense would be justified if the upgrades would be ready for the Olympics. Then we could show a new Stadium and Roof architecture to the world.

First Podmore denied that the $ 350 million cost was true; now the announcement indicating the true price.

So why did Podmore say it wasn't true when it was?

I'd like to know if this is a fixed price contract or a cost plus.

This Government totally has its head up its ass
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

firstdown45 wrote:The Sounders already have 20,000 season tickets and the way the Lions are fading, I could see the Whitecaps crowds challenging the Lions crowds.

I can't speak for Caps fans. I've never been to a soccer game and probably never will.

As for Lions fans, your statement is nonsense. We show our colours, stand, whoop and holler. You should hear the NOISE that 30,000 or 35,000 Lions regularly make. Home and visiting players all acknowledge it.
David
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:LOL, what did I say last time about every article on B.C. Place referencing the Whitecaps?

DH 8)
....As for the Whitecaps getting run in this article, which might be perceived as a snub to the Lions, do these renovations have any impact on the Lions' presence at BC Place or the future of the team? They're staying put until the building is levelled, so I don't see the point. Surely we're not in such dire need of validation for our team as to insist on seeing its name in print at every last opportunity?
It's purely an observation, that's all. I don't get worked up over it (hence the LOL at the beginning). It's just the implication that the 'Caps are the linchpin for the whole deal coming together. Obviously PavCo wants as many events booked there as possible, but I don't believe the project will be shelved if the Whitecaps are unsuccessful in their MLS bid.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:Soccer is the world's most popular sport. These upgrades will certainly boost Vancouver's profile, not to the same extent as the NBA Grizzlies did, but a boost nevertheless.
And the Olympics won't boost Vancouvers profile???

Soccer is the world's most popular sport.....outside of North America.

LOL...thank god for Major League soccer for putting Vancouver on the map :sleep: :sleep:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
ziggy
Legend

Glad to see you are back from your season of Ice Dance judging and looking for attention on this site again. I suggest that if the Lions are fading you should concentrate on posting on the Whitecaps site and not waste anymore of your time here. If its true that soccer is the worlds most popular sport you should get more of that attention(some international) you are so needy of.
By the way if the get up and cheer for every goal the team scores, what does that work out to, once or twice a game? Maybe their butts are just getting numb?
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

This post was made by firstdown45 who is currently on your ignore list.
Real women wear orange!!
zark
Champion

You finally convinced me that your an adolescent with that statement. Perhaps sports is not to your liking. Try orchestral music. It's much more relaxing and at times, more exhilarating than soccer. When world cup soccer comes along I don't pretend to like it.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx