Grey Cup - Stamps 22 - Als 14 - Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

PASSING
Name CP/AT YDS TD INT
H. BURRIS 28/37 328 1 1

RECEIVING
Name REC YDS TD LG
N. LEWIS 11 122 0 18
J. COPELAND 7 53 0 13
K. RAMBO 5 84 0 35
J. REYNOLDS 4 49 0 22
B. RALPH 1 20 1 20

RUSHING
Name ATT YDS TD LG
J. REYNOLDS 11 29 0 12
H. BURRIS 9 79 0 29
D. SUMMERS 1 9 0 9

FIELD GOALS
Name FG LG XP PTS
S. DEANGELIS 5/5 50 1/1 16

DEFENCE
Name TKL SK INT FF
J. RUFFIN 6 0 0 0
J. ARMOUR 4 1 0 0
D. ANDERSON 4 0 1 0
D. CARPENTER 4 0 0 0
B. SMITH 4 0 0 0
M. LABINJO 3 1 0 0
S. JAMES 3 0 1 0
J. SIMPSON 3 0 0 0
W. LYSACK 3 0 0 0
B. BROWNER 1 0 0 0
J. COPELAND 1 0 0 0
M. COLLINS 1 0 0 0
S. RASHEED 1 0 0 0
C. HUGHES 1 0 0 0
PASSING
Name CP/AT YDS TD INT
A. CALVILLO 29/38 352 0 2

RECEIVING
Name REC YDS TD LG
B. CAHOON 8 95 0 22
J. RICHARDSON 6 123 0 55
B. BRATTON 5 49 0 19
K. WATKINS 4 51 0 21
K. CARTER 3 19 0 8
A. COBOURNE 3 15 0 7

RUSHING
Name ATT YDS TD LG
A. COBOURNE 8 40 1 16

FIELD GOALS
Name FG LG XP PTS
D. DUVAL 2/2 19 1/1 7

DEFENCE
Name TK SKS INT FF
K. CARTER 8 0 0 0
T. HILL 7 0 0 0
M. ESTELLE 6 0 0 0
M. PROULX 4 0 0 0
R. HUNT 3 0 1 0
J. BOWMAN 3 0 0 0
C. COX 3 0 0 0
A. STEWART 3 0 0 0
D. CLAYBROOKS 3 0 0 0
K. WILLIAMS 2 1 0 0
D. SANCHEZ 2 0 0 0
W. SPENCER 1 0 0 0
B. BRATTON 1 0 0 0
D. FERRI 1 0 0 0
J. MCELVEEN 1 0 0 0
J. RICHARDSON 1 0 0 0

Although I was rooting for the Als, I give the Stamps credit for their inspired play all year. Who lit the fire under Labinjo? He was awesome in the playoffs.

I didn't much like Henry's whining, or his teammates. But seeing the tears running down Henry's face after the game, and seeing him with his wife and kid, it's easy enough to give him credit for playing so well, after so many screwups and underperformances in his career.

Hufnagel outdid even the highest expectations anyone might have had at the start of the year. Amazing job. Trestman too.

Without the huge improvement by Calgary this year, B.C. might have been able to cruise all the way to the Cup. Based on their inconsistency all year, that would hardly have been justice.

The word is that Dave Dickenson might want to get into coaching. Very interesting.

Well done, Scott Ackles. You've done your father proud.
Spud387
Champion

The only way i get over the fact Calgary won, is that Scott Ackles is there.

Damn't Wally/Braley, get Ackles & Dickenson over to BC pronto!!!!
MacNews
Team Captain

Montreal scored 30 or more points many times this year, and Calgary held them to 14. Credit to the defence!! :thup:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The official summary doesn't show the stat of the game: 3 pass knockdowns by Labinjo. All of them occurred on second down in the second half, killing Montreal drives. Labinjo showed great hands. Even when he was blocked, he affected the outcome of the game.
kenny
Champion

MacNews wrote:Montreal scored 30 or more points many times this year, and Calgary held them to 14. Credit to the defence!! :thup:
Playing in the east I think those stats are inflated. Six or Eight games against Hamilton and Toronto really did wonders on the stat sheet. What type of numbers did their offense put up against the west?
Don Miller
Legend

:thdn: Once again Calvillo chokes in the big game. Montreal have a poor record in the big game. The had Calgary down and didn't put them away. Too much room up the middle for Burris to run. I have a bitter taste in my mouth that Calgary won the game that we should have played in. I hope the Lions come back hungrier than ever next season. Give Calgary credit to come back, a classic Grey Cup it wasn't. Montreal had the fans and that's about it. Next season look out for Hamiliton to rise in the East.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
David
Team Captain

This Grey Cup was exciting only in as much as the score was close, but it certainly wasn't one for the ages. It really seemed devoid of "big plays."

The difference in the game?

* Als couldn't stop Burris's quarterback draws.
* Calgary's knockdowns at the LOS.
* Montreal couldn't establish a running game.
* Calvillo's uncharacteristic interceptions - especially the endzone pic in which he underthrew the receiver and to the wrong shoulder.

It was eerily similar to last week's game too:

* Both Montreal and BC carried the 1st half play but couldn't score the early TD.
* Calgary scored a TD just before half-time that gave them life.
* Both Montreal and BC were able to neutralize Reynolds's big play ability but allowed Burris to thow key passes in the 2nd half.
* Labinjo dominated in the 2nd half of both contests.
* Calgary snuffed out late drives in both games.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:This Grey Cup was exciting only in as much as the score was close, but it certainly wasn't one for the ages. It really seemed devoid of "big plays."

The difference in the game?

* Als couldn't stop Burris's quarterback draws.
* Calgary's knockdowns at the LOS.
* Montreal couldn't establish a running game.
* Calvillo's uncharacteristic interceptions - especially the endzone pic in which he underthrew the receiver and to the wrong shoulder.

It was eerily similar to last week's game too:

* Both Montreal and BC carried the 1st half play but couldn't score the early TD.
* Calgary scored a TD just before half-time that gave them life.
* Both Montreal and BC were able to neutralize Reynolds's big play ability but allowed Burris to thow key passes in the 2nd half.
* Labinjo dominated in the 2nd half of both contests.
* Calgary snuffed out late drives in both games.

DH 8)
Very good breakdown, that pick in the endzone spelled Cavillo for the turning play of the game. The Als and Cavillo never recovered from it.

The mirroring of the Stamps victory over both of their opponents in the playoffs was very strange indeed.

I would like to add that the final scoring drive for a TD by the Stamps in the end of the first half, let a blatant holding call go for a Burris running FD on the first play of the drive, a much different outcome may have occurred had even one official had taken note.

In the end I was rooting for the Stamps, just that I can't believe that HB's performance garnered him the MOP, a most underwhelming MOP considering some of the recent past recipients.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:[
In the end I was rooting for the Stamps, just that I can't believe that HB's performance garnered him the MOP, a most underwhelming MOP considering some of the recent past recipients.
It was hard to find an MOP in that game... but Burris was the leading rusher and put up very decent yardage passing. If Cavillo had only thrown for a TD instead of that INT not only do the Als win, but Cavillo would have been MOP. It's an honour that seems to been a QBs to lose unless someone else in another position totally carries his team on his back.

Interesting that 2 Grey Cups in a row have been won by rookie head coaches.
Rammer
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Rammer wrote:[
It was hard to find an MOP in that game... but Burris was the leading rusher and put up very decent yardage passing. If Cavillo had only thrown for a TD instead of that INT not only do the Als win, but Cavillo would have been MOP. It's an honour that seems to been a QBs to lose unless someone else in another position totally carries his team on his back.

Interesting that 2 Grey Cups in a row have been won by rookie head coaches.
I was surprised by Burris's final numbers, they seemed to flatter his game day production as I saw the game unfold. Still in the end it was the Stamps D with two INT's and Labinjo's multiple knockdowns that really took the game on the day. I guess in essence Burris wins by default and that is fairly ironic considering that is the most likely reason he didn't win the season MOP, as the Stamps played well as a team overall, a huge contention for him going into the playoffs.
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

I thought Labingo was the MVP, Burris looked average.
Tighthead
Legend

Burris's MVP reminds me of DD's in 2006.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

H. BURRIS 28/37 328 1 1

H. BURRIS 9 79 0 29

75.7 completion percentage for Burris.

328 yards passing.

79 yards running.

It seems tough for Burris to get much respect. His whining doesn't help. His previous implosions don't help. The broken fields of disappointment he has left along the way don't help.

Obviously he benefited greatly from the influence of Hufnagel, Cortez and Dickenson this year. IMO he did about as well as a QB could do in the Grey Cup, and I am no fan of his, nor of his team.
DudeCFLlove
Rookie

Two playoff games ONE TD allowed!!!!!!! The D was awesome!!!!!!!!
Spud387
Champion

DudeCFLlove wrote:Two playoff games ONE TD allowed!!!!!!! The D was awesome!!!!!!!!
That sums it up, Calgary's D won the Grey cup, not their much talked about offense.