scoring question

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

I was at a playoff game in Hamilton in the Sixties, Ticats and Argos were tied with seconds left. Argos attempted a FG and it went wide. TiCats had their punter and back up punter, quarterback (who could punt) and the field goal kicker in the end zone. When the kick went wide, the TiCat player got the ball but was too deep in the end zone to run it out so he punted the ball out of the end zone. The ball went to the Argo punter (of all people on the field he was the last guy a TiCat fan wanted to see get the ball) who then kicked the ball back into the TiCat end zone. This time the ball was fielded by the TiCat QB who ran the ball out of the end zone all the way down the field for a TiCat TD. However in those days there was no blocking allowed on punt returns so a flag was thrown, no TD, but the refs ruled that QB Bernie Faloney ran the ball out of the end zone before the first illegal block was thrown.
:lol:
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:
Years ago when their were not kickers who just kicked you'd see guys back there who also played FB or DB too and they'd be great to kick it back out only to have the punt team kick it back in
sorry everyone - but for a life long USA football style of play guy, that is funny to me. kick it in - kick it out - kick it back in again :lol:
I know! Who knew that a sport called "football" would actually involve that much "foot"?! :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:
Years ago when their were not kickers who just kicked you'd see guys back there who also played FB or DB too and they'd be great to kick it back out only to have the punt team kick it back in
sorry everyone - but for a life long USA football style of play guy, that is funny to me. kick it in - kick it out - kick it back in again :lol:
Once your team needs the the single or preventing the single, it may sound funny, but when it is in play, you can really appreciate the intricacies of the CFL's game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
mightybuck wrote:
Once your team needs the the single or preventing the single, it may sound funny, but when it is in play, you can really appreciate the intricacies of the CFL's game.
It does add an extra variable that one doesn't see in the NFL. One might compare it to the absence (or not, since the early 1970s) of the designated hitter in National (American) League baseball. Just like when a NL manager has to decide whether to pinch hit for his pitcher with two out and the bases loaded when he's riding a 1-0 shutout bid into the 7th inning, a CFL coach also has a decision to make on whether to concede a single in a kicking situation even if it isn't the last play of the game; say, early in the 4th quarter of a close, low scoring game when the defences and/or kick cover teams are playing solid and field position is at a premium.

I don't have the raw data to back this up, but I also believe that the single point has a tendency to upset the scoring math to such an extent that it leads to more two-point convert attempts to restore 7 and 3 pt margins that would otherwise be more common (which practically anyone would agree creates a more entertaining product). If I had the time I'd like to compare the number of 2pt convert attempts as a percentage of TDs scored in CFL/NFL to see if that's really true; sounds like a job for Robbie.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:I don't have the raw data to back this up, but I also believe that the single point has a tendency to upset the scoring math to such an extent that it leads to more two-point convert attempts to restore 7 and 3 pt margins that would otherwise be more common (which practically anyone would agree creates a more entertaining product). If I had the time I'd like to compare the number of 2pt convert attempts as a percentage of TDs scored in CFL/NFL to see if that's really true; sounds like a job for Robbie.
I don't have the data either but I would be willing to wager that there are more two-point convert attempts in the NFL because there are fewer scoring opportunities, and no other ways to score a single point. If an NFL team is behind by 15 in the third quarter, they might try a two-point convert. I was somewhat surprised that Wally did it the other night with about 6:30 left in the fourth quarter. There are so many ways to score in the CFL that it's usually best to take the one-point convert except in the final minutes of the game.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

hmmm, i was under the impression that if the ball is kicked thro the end zone that the recieving team got to choose to either give up the single and take the ball at the 35 or take the ball at the 25 without giving the single. i do have a Q tho....if i guy gets a sack, does that count as both a tackle and a sack or just a sack?
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I don't have the raw data to back this up, but I also believe that the single point has a tendency to upset the scoring math to such an extent that it leads to more two-point convert attempts to restore 7 and 3 pt margins that would otherwise be more common (which practically anyone would agree creates a more entertaining product). If I had the time I'd like to compare the number of 2pt convert attempts as a percentage of TDs scored in CFL/NFL to see if that's really true; sounds like a job for Robbie.
I don't have the data either but I would be willing to wager that there are more two-point convert attempts in the NFL because there are fewer scoring opportunities, and no other ways to score a single point. If an NFL team is behind by 15 in the third quarter, they might try a two-point convert. I was somewhat surprised that Wally did it the other night with about 6:30 left in the fourth quarter. There are so many ways to score in the CFL that it's usually best to take the one-point convert except in the final minutes of the game.
At the same time, 15pt margins are prob more likely in the CFL (say, leading by 2 converted td's plus a rouge). In the NFL it would have to be something like 3td's vs 2 fg's (or five more fg's), all other thiings being equal.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.