How about trading Joe Smith to Toronto for Michael Bishop?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstdown45

Joe Smith's comments that he won't even watch Friday's game are the final straw. He clearly does not want to be here.

Trade him to Toronto for Michael Bishop. Toronto has already settled on Joseph, and they don't need Bishop. We don't need Smith (considering his who cares attitude) but we DO need a QB who can get it done.

It's time for the Lions and Smith to part ways.

Smith's nauseating attitude and conduct is detrimental to the team and is no different than Casey Printers' attitude when he was here, so why shouldn't the end result be the same?
almo89
Legend

Umm no. Why they heck do we want Bishop?
Rammer
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:Umm no. Why they heck do we want Bishop?
So we can have a QB controversy for fd45. 8)

I would hate to trade for Bishop and be rooked by the Argo's in that trade.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

We need import receiving and linebacking depth. Exactly why would we need another second string quarterback???

*Mod note - firstdown45, your subject heading was deceiving to the reader, so it has been edited.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Odie
Rookie

I almost fear that, by responding to this thread, I am giving it more creedence than it deserves, but I feel the need to respond to it anyway. There was a moment or two near the begining of the season when I considered the impact someone like Bishop could have had for the lions, but sooner or later I allowed my emotions to calm down and my rationality to kick in. Bishop is no more proven or reliable then Jackson. Jarious gets better every game - I agree he is not totally there yet, but he makes adjustments every game that have me thinking he's going to be heard from before this campaign is over - and switching him for a hot/cold QB like Bishop who has not proven to be anymore effective than Jackson is, well, crazy. It would be a total knee-jerk reaction to pull the trigger on that deal. Plus it would mean the release of Buck Pierce or Zach Champion which is a little nuts.

Moreover, I am not so sure that I buy into the arguement that Smith has 'terrible attitude and clearly doesnt want to be here'. He has always been a free spirit and a little ecclectic in his behaviour, but he has always performed. let us not forget that he chose to sign a contract extension over the off-season and has handled his currrent predicament (btw- the running games anemia is not entirely at the feet of JS) with a certain level of class and decorum. He has not been complaining to the media or running his mouth and has supported the decisions of coaches and teammates. This does not strike me as the behaviour of someone who doesnt want to be here. You can compare JS's reaction to the face of Bishop on the sideline...Besides, we may still need Joe Smith before this season is out - Logan is exciting, but he has to prove himself as well....
micahfreeman81
prospect

Nice thought *****.

*Mod note - please, no personal attacks..
crburrows
Champion

Rammer wrote: I would hate to trade for Bishop and be rooked by the Argo's in that trade.
Yes. That would leave the fans feeling like pawns.
firstdown45

but at least it may make more sense than the Casey Printers scenario
Shaggy
Starter

No, it doesn't really make sense at all.

As has been said already, JJ is as or more proven than Bishop at this point.
Furthermore, if Logan gets hurt, who goes in at RB if you've traded away Smith?
Why is it people seem to have a problem with depth at a position?
Having Smith AND Logan is much better than having only one of them.
In case you're unaware, Smith IS more proven than Logan at this point.

My advice. Get over what Joe Smith says to the media about what he's doing in his own free time.
If his teammates don't have a problem with it, no one else should.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

firstdown45 wrote:Joe Smith's comments that he won't even watch Friday's game are the final straw. He clearly does not want to be here.

Trade him to Toronto for Michael Bishop. Toronto has already settled on Joseph, and they don't need Bishop. We don't need Smith (considering his who cares attitude) but we DO need a QB who can get it done.

It's time for the Lions and Smith to part ways.

Smith's nauseating attitude and conduct is detrimental to the team and is no different than Casey Printers' attitude when he was here, so why shouldn't the end result be the same?
shut up.
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Trade firstdown45 for chimpy or 120db. Wait, they're all the same person.
pennw
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:but at least it may make more sense than the Casey Printers scenario
Were you not the one who started a thread calling for a trade to get Printers back here recently ?
In no way does JS come off as having a bad attitude , he's been told to sit so that's what he's doing . And he hasn't played bad the last two games , he got a 4.46 per carry average last game ( not world beating but respectable) and steam rolled the Als the week before . If anything Smith is being made a scapegoat for an over all team let down last game . And it was not just the offence either .
Big Time
Champion

When did Joe say he wouldn't watch Friday's game? Did he actually say this or are you just assuming?
firstdown45

He said it. I heard it last night on News 1130. Phone the Sports Dept. at News 1130 if you want verification. I almost fell off my chair when I heard that.

He said he won't watch games unless it's mandatory in his contract.

That's crapp. You're not part of this team, Mr. Joe Smith. You're attitude ain't wanted around these parts.
ziggy
Legend

Why not trade him for Brett Favre, he's looking for a team?