Bottom line.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

firstandgoal
Rookie

The reality is, Edmonton deserves this one and the Lions need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Very frustrating to watch the second half of this game as the defence made too many mistakes (two TD's where there isn't a DB in sight) and the offence just plainly disappeared. The Lions just aren't good enough at this point.

I assume Chapdelaine is making the offensive play calls? Why would you call three consecutive running plays on first down after each Edmonton score after Jarious' pick in the second half? Gee, lets pump the defence up even further? :bang: I think Joe had about minus 6 yards on these plays.

It is still early in the season but something about this team just doesn't seem right here. Not sure if the players are making the mistakes (ie receivers wide open, bonehead offensive calls) or their needs to be better preparation.....I don't know.

Maybe this is a one game 'blip' and we will see the team that won three straight? Still on the bandwagon however!
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Terrible, terrible (non) tackling tonight. Gawd freakin' awful.
bclions16
Champion

firstandgoal wrote:The reality is, Edmonton deserves this one and the Lions need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Very frustrating to watch the second half of this game as the defence made too many mistakes (two TD's where there isn't a DB in sight) and the offence just plainly disappeared. The Lions just aren't good enough at this point.

I assume Chapdelaine is making the offensive play calls? Why would you call three consecutive running plays on first down after each Edmonton score after Jarious' pick in the second half? Gee, lets pump the defence up even further? :bang: I think Joe had about minus 6 yards on these plays.

It is still early in the season but something about this team just doesn't seem right here. Not sure if the players are making the mistakes (ie receivers wide open, bonehead offensive calls) or their needs to be better preparation.....I don't know.

Maybe this is a one game 'blip' and we will see the team that won three straight? Still on the bandwagon however!
Let's forget the schemes for once. We lost because we couldn't execute fundamentals. Period.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

I thought we didn't do enough of the intermediate crossing patterns tonight. We were too predictable... would have been great to have a scat back in there as the middle was completely clogged up.
Rammer
Team Captain

A veteran team that knows that the regular season games don't count as much as the playoff games, but they still need to understand that they haven't got a playoff spot locked up yet. Turning the on/off switch isn't as easy to do as they may think, and learning to win games that they should put away is part of the process here.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bclions16
Champion

Larry Key wrote:I thought we didn't do enough of the intermediate crossing patterns tonight. We were too predictable... would have been great to have a scat back in there as the middle was completely clogged up.
That wouldn't have made sound tackles or stopped blown coverage. We got high with a lead, lost focus, and let the game go. Yes sometimes it is that simple.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
firstandgoal
Rookie

I agree, skilled players make the difference. However, like I stated before, not sure if the players or coaches are making the mistakes. Two touchdowns where are receivers are wide open? Blown coverage by a player or lack of preparation? Calling running plays on first down after three opponents scores? Audible or called from the bench? Don't know but someone needs to be held accountable.

If you are a player, sell out and follow the game plan. If you are a coach have a bullitt proof game plan that is not predictable. Putting the team in a postion to win comes from everyone involved.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

firstandgoal wrote: bullitt
A classic Steve McQueen movie! :thup:
firstandgoal
Rookie

Ha! Maybe I should have watched that instead of the game! At least that would have been 'bullet-proof' entertaiment! Or is that 'bullitt-proof'?

Who gives a rats a@#, just win next week damn it!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

firstandgoal wrote: It is still early in the season but something about this team just doesn't seem right here. Not sure if the players are making the mistakes (ie receivers wide open, bonehead offensive calls) or their needs to be better preparation.....I don't know.

I agree. The Lions had more than a one game blip. They had one against the Stamps and Riders as well. Totally unacceptable.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Real women wear orange!!
CartWheelFan
All Star

Rammer wrote:A veteran team that knows that the regular season games don't count as much as the playoff games, but they still need to understand that they haven't got a playoff spot locked up yet. Turning the on/off switch isn't as easy to do as they may think, and learning to win games that they should put away is part of the process here.
I think that this team needs to start embracing the idea of having to win TWO playoff games if they want to get to the Grey Cup final this year.
ziggy
Legend

Rammer wrote:A veteran team that knows that the regular season games don't count as much as the playoff games, but they still need to understand that they haven't got a playoff spot locked up yet. Turning the on/off switch isn't as easy to do as they may think, and learning to win games that they should put away is part of the process here.
I have to agree with you, they seemed to be a little to complacent and frankly they are not good enough to take any games off. Edmonton on the other hand looks like they've turned the corner and I'm sure will feed off this come from behind victory. We can't continue to live in the past.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

bclions16 wrote:That wouldn't have made sound tackles or stopped blown coverage. We got high with a lead, lost focus, and let the game go. Yes sometimes it is that simple.
Agreed. Lotta dropped passes, looked like a few passes either over-thrown or under-run. Ton of missed tackles. Yes, it's the BASICS that were lacking. There's no point in worrying about the fancy plots and schemes if you can't execute Football 101. Losing focus is a big part of the excuse for that.

But credit where it's due, after that interception, the Esks really cranked it up, and that one big hit and unbelievable completion boosted them to a whole other level. They got the momentum, they put their collective foot on the gas, and they drove over us like a monster truck over a Kia.

The one thing I consistently see far too little of from ANY sports' fan forum, be it for football, hockey, or whatever, is props to the opposition for just plain kicking arse. If your team gets the the blowout, it's all about how great your team played, but if your team GETS blown out, the only reason ever seems to be because they blew it... no mention of the other guys just playing WAY better. And in this case, the Esks just simply played a stellar second half.

Actually, it seems it's almost the opposite of last week's game, where the Lions came out looking slow and tired and got the boots put to them through the first half, then came out for the second as almost a different team, and set the Als back on their heels. The Als managed to keep their footing a little better than we did last night, but I think the Esks, with their dose of Inspiration #83, just poured it on too much for the Lions to recover from.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
bclions16
Champion

Soundy, you nailed it... most losses are because the other team played better. In this case the Esks were incredibly inspired in the second half - and not just because of coaching differences. Edmonton still has a great QB, has added some excellent players this season, and were motivated by Tucker. The Eskimos are still a quality organization, and it appears that they are ready to stop their losing ways.

All that said, I still hate our loss, and can't stand the Esks!