Clermont?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

As much as we are all worried about Buck's health I am starting to get concerned about Clermont. He has always been one of my favourite players and he is as tough as an ox but it seems from last year to the opener this season every time he gets hit it is like it is the hardest hit ever each time. He is getting up but looks like he is in a car wreck each time. I know you cannot stop the plays across the middle to him as that is what makes him effective but do teams knoe these plays are coming and just getting ready to drill him each time? MABEY we need to mix it up a bit with those kind of plays for Clermont going into traffic.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

In a nutshell lion24, teams are keying on what has become Chapdelaine's trademark slow-developing, underneath crossing routs that have the distinction of being quarterback killers, but in most recent cases it has become LION82 that defensive backs, and safeties are targeting.

Why does the offensive coaching shaft insist on these most dangerous routs to send our receivers on?

If they continue to fly in the face of logic and put our clutch receiver in harm's way, (like they has been foolishly doing since late last season) it is all but certain that Claremont will have an abbreviated career with the Lions. :bang: :bang: :bang:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think that type of play calling has to be looked at by the HC this week. Don't forget the players (some receivers) wanted JC back but maybe they will have to re-think the crossing patterns to keep JC healthy and for success.

What is odd is that last year's innovations seem to have disappeared in this home opener.

I was a bit surprised not to see the innovative run schemes that had been put in after JC left town the first time.

If you can judge anything by body language (been to TC once and 1 practice this year) I'd have to say if there is one O coach not on the same page as Dorazio the OC and Kruck it'd be Chapdelaine.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:In a nutshell lion24, teams are keying on what has become Chapdelaine's trademark slow-developing, underneath crossing routs that have the distinction of being quarterback killers, but in most recent cases it has become LION82 that defensive backs, and safeties are targeting.

Why does the offensive coaching shaft insist on these most dangerous routs to send our receivers on?

If they continue to fly in the face of logic and put our clutch receiver in harm's way, (like they has been foolishly doing since late last season) it is all but certain that Claremont will have an abbreviated career with the Lions. :bang: :bang: :bang:
:whs: I guess that's why they have more than one slotback on their roster.
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:I think that type of play calling has to be looked at by the HC this week. Don't forget the players (some receivers) wanted JC back but maybe they will have to re-think the crossing patterns to keep JC healthy and for success.

What is odd is that last year's innovations seem to have disappeared in this home opener.

I was a bit surprised not to see the innovative run schemes that had been put in after JC left town the first time.

If you can judge anything by body language (been to TC once and 1 practice this year) I'd have to say if there is one O coach not on the same page as Dorazio the OC and Kruck it'd be Chapdelaine.
Totally agree Toppy Vann.....but it sure looks like Chap is in the drivers seat...based upon the first game...and it sure looked like the Chap's 2007 Edmonton offensive scheme out there in Game 1 against Calgary..
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Totally agree Toppy Vann.....but it sure looks like Chap is in the drivers seat...based upon the first game...and it sure looked like the Chap's 2007 Edmonton offensive scheme out there in Game 1 against Calgary..
I think we all knew he would be, so this is no surprise.

If I were Bill Reichelt, I'd book extra time at some MRI clinics though. With those crossing routes a la 2005, Lions will lose receivers and qbs early and often. The O line may be similar too, with the (temporay?) losses of Rasouli and Murphy (if he heads home to Florida for the birth of his triplets.).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
Blitz wrote:The O line may be similar too, with the (temproray?) losses of Rasouli and Murphy (if he heads home to Florida for the birth of his triplets.).
The Lions will likely have to do some roster juggling for the next game. Rasouli's injury leaves only Lorne Plante to back up the entire line. Even if the stork stays away from the Murphy and Jimenez households, that's a big problem. The Lions would likely activate Walter Stith as an import backup, meaning another import would have to sit and be replaced on the roster by a non-import. Nicolson could draw into the lineup as fifth receiver for Coleman. Alternatively, Dennis, Goodwell or Myles could sit but if Jamall Johnson comes back, one of them would likely have to sit anyway. I doubt that two of them would sit when the linebacking corps has been so thin and plagued by injuries.
Vern Halen
Champion

The crossing routes are great in the fact that if JC turns the corner, he's GONE. However - if the QB is rushed or pressured and has to rush the throw and JC (or any slot) isn't far enough across the middle axis of the play when the ball's delivered, he's gonna get clobbered. The crossing routes this past game looked like they weren't getting enough time to develop and Buck/JJ had to deliver the ball early - hence JC getting creamed.

Was it just me, or did BC not go vertical enough last game? Maybe it was just me.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:The crossing routes are great in the fact that if JC turns the corner, he's GONE. However - if the QB is rushed or pressured and has to rush the throw and JC (or any slot) isn't far enough across the middle axis of the play when the ball's delivered, he's gonna get clobbered. The crossing routes this past game looked like they weren't getting enough time to develop and Buck/JJ had to deliver the ball early - hence JC getting creamed.
Good read... and of course, the QBs were getting pressured all game because the O-line was about as porous as my old Datsun's floorboards.

Nice avatar, BTW :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:Was it just me, or did BC not go vertical enough last game? Maybe it was just me.
I had that same impression, and that the crossing routes were slow in developing...again.

One wonders how many shots like that that even Clermont can take.
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:Was it just me, or did BC not go vertical enough last game? Maybe it was just me.
I had that same impression, and that the crossing routes were slow in developing...again.

One wonders how many shots like that that even Clermont can take.

Exactly, and there seems to be at least one big shot a game :bang: I watched a lot of other teams run these crossing routes and guys are wide open with room to run for yards.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
CartWheelFan
All Star

lion24 wrote:As much as we are all worried about Buck's health I am starting to get concerned about Clermont. He has always been one of my favourite players and he is as tough as an ox but it seems from last year to the opener this season every time he gets hit it is like it is the hardest hit ever each time. He is getting up but looks like he is in a car wreck each time. I know you cannot stop the plays across the middle to him as that is what makes him effective but do teams knoe these plays are coming and just getting ready to drill him each time? MABEY we need to mix it up a bit with those kind of plays for Clermont going into traffic.
My sentiments EXACTLY!! :bang: Will Chap not be satisfied until JC's head comes off along with his helmet? :sigh: Granted Lion82 seems practically fearless, and his actions have backed up the attitude, but you have to wonder how much longer his body will stand up to the kind of punishment we've seen dished out upon him recently. Rather reminds me of a scene from Saving Private Ryan; "why don't you just hand out blindfolds." Let's just hope than no one from the Riders camp clues in and offers JC less suicidal routes were he to relocate! :x
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:
Was it just me, or did BC not go vertical enough last game? Maybe it was just me.
I recall Buck going vertical twice - Geroy Simon and Corey Rodgers for a touchdown.
Vern Halen
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Vern Halen wrote:
I recall Buck going vertical twice - Geroy Simon and Corey Rodgers for a touchdown.
True, but with the receiving corps you have (and JJ's spooky arm strength), I would have thought Wally would have stretched the Stamps D out a little more, IMHO.