Well Jarious or Buck

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who starts Buck or Jarious?

Jarious
25%
Buck
61%
Both
14%

Total votes: 56
Big Time
Champion

I think BP's numbers may be a little better last night, but that doesn't really tell the story IMO. BP had trouble getting anything going in the first quarter and basically only played one decent quarter. JJ on the other hand, looked extremely sharp. He threw with tremendous accuracy and Paris Jackson was about one foot away from completing a TD pass in the end zone which would have made JJ's numbers even better. I think the reason I would go with JJ is the way that he was throwing last night. This guy has a HUGE arm and clearly has more range than BP does. With JJ, you really have a chance to use the Lions speed at receiver for deep threats. With BP, he's more of a timing QB. For whatever reason, BP seems to get a lot of love but based on what I saw last night, JJ should be the starter.

On the other side, could someone tell me why DD only played one series? You could hardly blame him for the interception/TD by Banks as that was the receiver's fault. I thought the Stamps 4th string QB looked pretty good last night even though he was more or less playing garbage time.
Tighthead
Legend

I am a JJ guy. I like the big arm, and he seems to be able to take a hit.

That being said, I get the feeling Wally is deep down a BP guy.

I agree that whoever gets the nod needs a reasonable long leash.
ziggy
Legend

Both are good but I have to agree with those who think that starting Buck ( he seems to on the whole be a quicker starter) and going to Jarious if he is struggling. I wonder if Jarious isn't just one of those players who is more comfortable after some sideline time to get a feel for the game? Either way a good problem to have, which may get more interesting with Champion.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

It's a tough call, but I'm going with BP. I think the plan for the last 2 years has been for BP to be the starting QB on the team for the foreseeable future. JJ's age is against him here. No so much this year, or next year, but sooner or later it's going to be an issue. I think the Lions would be better served having the same #1 QB for the next 5-7 years, and I think BP is the best candidate for that. Assuming he can stay healthy. If not, then JJ is a great plan B for a few years while someone like Champion is groomed to eventually take over.
Rammer
Team Captain

Big Time wrote:I think BP's numbers may be a little better last night, but that doesn't really tell the story IMO. BP had trouble getting anything going in the first quarter and basically only played one decent quarter. JJ on the other hand, looked extremely sharp. He threw with tremendous accuracy and Paris Jackson was about one foot away from completing a TD pass in the end zone which would have made JJ's numbers even better. I think the reason I would go with JJ is the way that he was throwing last night. This guy has a HUGE arm and clearly has more range than BP does. With JJ, you really have a chance to use the Lions speed at receiver for deep threats. With BP, he's more of a timing QB. For whatever reason, BP seems to get a lot of love but based on what I saw last night, JJ should be the starter.

On the other side, could someone tell me why DD only played one series? You could hardly blame him for the interception/TD by Banks as that was the receiver's fault. I thought the Stamps 4th string QB looked pretty good last night even though he was more or less playing garbage time.
Actually DD got into two series, the INT for a TD, after driving the team and the next series he went two and out culminating with a massive meeting of the DL with him underneath it. Not sure why he was taken out, but his replacements did well, even looking all star like for the most part.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Probably just that DD is such a well know quantity. You aren't going to learn much new about him no matter how many series he plays so why not spend that time looking at your #3 and 4.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
mightybuck
Legend

BigTime wrote:
I think BP's numbers may be a little better last night, but that doesn't really tell the story IMO. BP had trouble getting anything going in the first quarter and basically only played one decent quarter
Man - I dont know what game you were listening to or watching but Buck didnt have just one decent quarter, and he didnt start slow. Just because you dont score in the first quarter of a preseason game or even a regular season game doesnt mean you had a slow or bad quarter. There are reasons for what happens out there.

The announcers on the radio were saying in the 1st quarter how crisp and sharp Buck was looking and yet it was (slow)??

To me a slow start is 2 and out and you are hardly completing anything.

First drive

(13:28) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (9 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
2 - 1 - B30 (12:48) J. SMITH Run (4 yds), Tackle: M. LABINJO
FIRST DOWN
1 - 10 - B34 (11:56) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (8 yds), Tackle: T. YOUNG
PENALTY B.C.: C. RODGERS Offside (5 yds)
WOULD HAVE BEEN 2ND AND 2 BUT BECAUSE OF PENALTY NOW - 2ND AND 15
1 - 15 - B29 (11:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. RODGERS
2 - 15 - B29 (11:32) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (11 yds), Tackle: L. ROWELL
11 YARDS ON THE PICK-UP - WITHOUT THE PENALTY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST DOWN Buck was 3-4 on first drive ( could have been 4-4 and still driving )
3 - 4 - B40 (11:04) P. MCCALLUM Punt C28 (42 yds), M. HOWELL Punt Return (9 yds), S. LOGAN S

Second drive

- 10 - B35 (9:26) J. SMITH Run (3 yds), Tackle: T. YOUNG
2 - 7 - B38 (8:46) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to G. SIMON (18 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
1 - 10 - C54 (8:10) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to G. SIMON (8 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
2 - 2 - C46 (7:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. COLEMAN
3 - 2 - C46 (7:27) P. MCCALLUM Punt -11 (62 yds), M. HOWELL Concede (0 yds) - Single

According to announcers the ball hit coleman right in the hands - dropped ball
Buck 2-3 on the drive - could have/should have been 3/3 and still going
-

Third drive

1 - 10 - B31 (5:38) J. SMITH Run (-2 yds)Tackle for Loss: T. YOUNG
Now we are 2nd and 12 - long yardage
2 - 12 - B29 (4:53) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. COLEMAN
yes - he overthrew him
3 - 12 - B29 (4:39) P. MCCALLUM Punt

Fourth drive

(1:20) J. SMITH Run (-1 yds)Tackle for Loss: T. PATRICK
Another great first play - one yard loss again - now 2nd and 11 and another passing situation
2 - 11 - B40 (00:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for P. JACKSON , L. ROWELL Pass Knocked Down
3 - 11 - B40 (00:37) P. MCCALLUM Punt C25

End of first quarter
Buck 5-9 for the quarter and 54 yards

Now - alot of reasons for a non-scoring first quarter. The team as a whole is just getting into a groove, especially after the way they played last week. You are getting a feel for the game and then things begin to take off. If Jarious had started the first quarter the result 'may' have been the same. By halftime the team was rolling, you come out of the locker room with a good feel for the game, you know what is working and what isnt, you have just scored 3 TDs in the 2nd quarter and you are pumped, Logan starts the 3rd quarter with a 15 yard run and then a 8 yard run (something Smith didnt have in the first quarter) and all of a sudden you are literally off and running again. The whole situation is different.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I was at the game and I too don't feel that Buck started slow at all other than he missed a couple of out tosses that anyone can and he had an easy dropped ball by the new guy that killed a drive and put Calgary back on the field and helped them get to 10 points before the Lions got their first TD. That is how football games happen especially pre-season. I didn't think Burris shot the lights out either but there is no chance he won't be no. 1 in Cowtown.

These are both very good QBs who are both good quality team players and who judging by JJ riding in Buck's vehicle the other day at TC must actually like each other as much as they respect each others skills. I like how Buck plays and how much he doesn't need to rely on just the big spectacular play to make his game. He is the type of QB who can be like his prededessor, DD- a good game manager who doesn't need to make the spectucular play to be on his game and help his team win. To get to that level he will need the playing time and to me that will come from starting.

On the other hand, you can't dismiss what Jarius Jackson has done for the BC Lions last season and when he came in last night. It is a long tough season and one hit can make you are a starter in this game so the Lions can benefit from both being here. This is a league that needs high quality QBs and you can never have too many unless they are fighting in the locker room.

In all sports and in football the issue is not whether there will be a dry patch or for QBs missed opportunities as no matter how bad your opponent is in every game they will have a moment or more when they are in the driver's seat and having their way with you. The issue is how you respond and for me I like the way Buck Pierce responds to whatever the challenges are.

I had a chance to speak to him Wednesday in the parking lot at TC after their practice and I came away thinking how ready he is physically and mentally ready he is to lead his team when I simply asked him how he felt. He mentioned that he took some big hits in Regina but overall felt really good and his smile, tone of voice and body language convinced me that he is ready to play some serious great football.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I have no idea why it is so lopsided in Buck's favour. Doesn't make alot of sense based on their play and JJ's season last yr. Should at least be alot closer. Jarious has the better arm and throws a nicer ball in my opinion. Seems more durable, was amazing pulling off big plays at clutch times last yr. He deserves alot more than 25 percent of the votes.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Honour Dewalt wrote:I have no idea why it is so lopsided in Buck's favour. Doesn't make alot of sense based on their play and JJ's season last yr. Should at least be alot closer. Jarious has the better arm and throws a nicer ball in my opinion. Seems more durable, was amazing pulling off big plays at clutch times last yr. He deserves alot more than 25 percent of the votes.
It may just be who is posting at this time. If you were at the game last night you might also conclude that Buck looks just as good on those longer balls torching the corners and backs as Jarius did. I think too people might be looking at who is the better game manager and who has more years and upside if given the chance and that you'd have to say is Buck. Jarius is in terrific shape and as far as durability goes, the facts may that arguable. Jarius had his first year with the Lions end on the first play of the first offensive series in the first pre-season game in Regina and it was Buck in his first year who came off the bench later and snatched the victory from what was looking like defeat.

There is no question that you can't take away anything Jackson did last season with his time at the helm. It must count for a lot going into this year for sure.

This is a tough coaching call but maybe they have to decide that Buck is the guy they want to develop as their franchise no. 1 QB while Jackson too will be an important guy who will also get quality playing time. To me it is time to give Buck the chance to be the number one guy for the future of the club or in future the guy could be moving on to some other franchise at the same time Jackson is calling it quits. Having said that Jackson looks like he could play as long as Damon Allen so that might not be true.

It is an interesting dilemma which is good for the club and it spells success on the field.

I was impressed by all the game's QBs including Ben Sankey. Nealy did a lot of running and his long drive was filled with rookie running and some serious clock eating but it gave them a chance to see what he could do. Champion then had little time left as his counterpart for the Stamps chewed the clock up just getting their scores late in the game.

GG didn't have a sniff at the field and that has to make you wonder - however, after Regina it was very likely clear to the coaches that they had to give both BP and JJ some serious game time to be ready for the season opener and that meant little time for the other 2 Lion QBs. Champion has to be annoyed with the Stamp QB Nealy for his clock chewing up time as he has him to blame for not getting more reps.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:BigTime wrote:
I think BP's numbers may be a little better last night, but that doesn't really tell the story IMO. BP had trouble getting anything going in the first quarter and basically only played one decent quarter
Man - I dont know what game you were listening to or watching but Buck didnt have just one decent quarter, and he didnt start slow. Just because you dont score in the first quarter of a preseason game or even a regular season game doesnt mean you had a slow or bad quarter. There are reasons for what happens out there.

The announcers on the radio were saying in the 1st quarter how crisp and sharp Buck was looking and yet it was (slow)??

To me a slow start is 2 and out and you are hardly completing anything.

First drive

(13:28) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (9 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
2 - 1 - B30 (12:48) J. SMITH Run (4 yds), Tackle: M. LABINJO
FIRST DOWN
1 - 10 - B34 (11:56) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (8 yds), Tackle: T. YOUNG
PENALTY B.C.: C. RODGERS Offside (5 yds)
WOULD HAVE BEEN 2ND AND 2 BUT BECAUSE OF PENALTY NOW - 2ND AND 15
1 - 15 - B29 (11:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. RODGERS
2 - 15 - B29 (11:32) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to J. CLERMONT (11 yds), Tackle: L. ROWELL
11 YARDS ON THE PICK-UP - WITHOUT THE PENALTY IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST DOWN Buck was 3-4 on first drive ( could have been 4-4 and still driving )
3 - 4 - B40 (11:04) P. MCCALLUM Punt C28 (42 yds), M. HOWELL Punt Return (9 yds), S. LOGAN S

Second drive

- 10 - B35 (9:26) J. SMITH Run (3 yds), Tackle: T. YOUNG
2 - 7 - B38 (8:46) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to G. SIMON (18 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
1 - 10 - C54 (8:10) B. PIERCE Completed Pass to G. SIMON (8 yds), Tackle: B. STEWART
2 - 2 - C46 (7:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. COLEMAN
3 - 2 - C46 (7:27) P. MCCALLUM Punt -11 (62 yds), M. HOWELL Concede (0 yds) - Single

According to announcers the ball hit coleman right in the hands - dropped ball
Buck 2-3 on the drive - could have/should have been 3/3 and still going
-

Third drive

1 - 10 - B31 (5:38) J. SMITH Run (-2 yds)Tackle for Loss: T. YOUNG
Now we are 2nd and 12 - long yardage
2 - 12 - B29 (4:53) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for C. COLEMAN
yes - he overthrew him
3 - 12 - B29 (4:39) P. MCCALLUM Punt

Fourth drive

(1:20) J. SMITH Run (-1 yds)Tackle for Loss: T. PATRICK
Another great first play - one yard loss again - now 2nd and 11 and another passing situation
2 - 11 - B40 (00:40) B. PIERCE Incomplete Pass intended for P. JACKSON , L. ROWELL Pass Knocked Down
3 - 11 - B40 (00:37) P. MCCALLUM Punt C25

End of first quarter
Buck 5-9 for the quarter and 54 yards

Now - alot of reasons for a non-scoring first quarter. The team as a whole is just getting into a groove, especially after the way they played last week. You are getting a feel for the game and then things begin to take off. If Jarious had started the first quarter the result 'may' have been the same. By halftime the team was rolling, you come out of the locker room with a good feel for the game, you know what is working and what isnt, you have just scored 3 TDs in the 2nd quarter and you are pumped, Logan starts the 3rd quarter with a 15 yard run and then a 8 yard run (something Smith didnt have in the first quarter) and all of a sudden you are literally off and running again. The whole situation is different.
You may want to pass along that information to this Calgary writer Steve.....sigh.
Touchdowns by the ton; Stamps, Lions combine for nine of 'em in final exhibition tilt
The Calgary Sun
Fri 20 Jun 2008
Page: S4
Section: Sports
Byline: BY IAN BUSBY
Column: The Stamps
Dateline: VANCOUVER

The free passes are done, and the Calgary Stampeders have to hope the touchdown passes by the B.C. Lions will come to an end, too.

Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson each caught a pair of touchdowns last night as the host Lions beat the Stamps 38-35 in the pre-season finale in front of 26,242 spectators at B.C. Place Stadium.

The Stamps and Leos will kick off the regular season next Thursday at McMahon Stadium, when there will be a clearer picture of how the two West Division squads stack up.

Allowing the Lions offence to score at will wasn't too troubling considering the Stamps were without linebackers JoJuan Armour and Saleem Rasheed, while cornerbacks Brandon Browner and Dwight Anderson didn't play much.

Stamps head coach John Hufnagel used the second half to evaluate prospects. The job of paring down the roster will be difficult, so Hufnagel was pleased to see a comeback attempt.

"I saw some guys who had an opportunity to make a play and they made it," he said.

"Eddie Montgomery had a nice return, Demetris Summers had a nice kickoff return, Chris Jackson did awfully well.

"Reggie Williams made a nice play at the end. There was some good things that happened."

When the expected starters lined up against each other last night, the Lions held a bit of an advantage, but the Stamps took their turn making some nice plays.

The Stamps started Henry Burris at quarterback, but he wasn't able to generate a whole lot of yardage before exiting with five minutes left in the second quarter to give way to Dave Dickenson.

Burris came back in to run the two-minute offence, but that didn't generate any points, although Hufnagel wasn't too concerned when the Lions took a 22-10 halftime lead.

"We know who our top two quarterbacks are," he said. "What I'm mostly disappointed about in our offence was two things. We had too many penalties and in the green zone, we couldn't punch the ball in. We had to settle for a field goal and that was because of what we weren't able to do."

The Stampeders defence started out well, forcing the Lions into three straight two-and-outs early in the game.

But once some starters went out, the Lions started to click as quarterback Buck Pierce hit Jackson on a couple of purrfect corner routes, including one that went for a 17-yard score.

Jarious Jackson took the controls to start the second half and immediately hit Simon for another major.

On the other side, the Stamps used the second half to get a better look at who may get the job as their third quarterback.

Ben Sankey looked strong in his first opportunity, hooking up with Jeremaine Copeland on a four-yard touchdown.

Barrick Nealy finally took over with six minutes remaining the fourth quarter and promptly displayed his ability to scramble out of trouble, running for 67 yards on a touchdown drive.

Nealy then hit Williams on the final play of the game and ran in a two-point conversion to make the score close.

"The kid makes plays," Burris said about Nealy. "He understands how to get the job done. You need to look for the primary man and if it's not there, do the check-down and run. He did that and when there was chances to make plays, he used his feet to make them."
Entertainment value = an all time low
footballguy
prospect

Everyone wants to talk about how JJ was the starter last year how can you take that away. Who was the starter before JJ? Buck. JJ only got his starts because Buck who was chosen the starter got injured. If Buck doesn't get hurt last year and plays the way we all know he can, Jarious never gets in the game. They are both great qb's, either could be chosen, but remember JJ wasn't the outright starter last year because he beat out Buck. He got his chance and he ran with it. My point is that it makes them completely equal coming into this season. If JJ wins the Championship last year, then there is no question. I believe that Wally knows and that is why it is so hard to decide. He doesn't beleive that the job is Jarious's just because he finished up season with his number 1 guy and number 2 guy hurt.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Just my .02 cents.
As in two one-hundredths of a cent?? C'mon David. Your opinion is worth more than that!! :beauty:
David
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:Just my .02 cents.
As in two one-hundredths of a cent?? C'mon David. Your opinion is worth more than that!! :beauty:
I'm afraid not Lions4ever. :sigh: I boldly stated on this very site that Gino Guidugli would one day be a starter in this league. Somehow though, between the first week of practice when I saw him dropping precision rainbows into outstretched arms of our receivers running go routes, to the Fan Fest scrimmage and then the first exhibition game, his stock plummeted faster than Enron's. Somehow he just wasn't making the right reads and his footwork was more Khrushchev than Nureyev. :no:

So no, for the time being, my opinions shall be worth no more than two-tenths of a cent! :wink:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'm afraid not Lions4ever. :sigh: I boldly stated on this very sight that Gino Guidugli would one day be a starter in this league.
DH 8)
He still might but not with the Lions.