Joe Smith returning to Lions - CKNW

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

Casey Printers wrote:He probaby figured training camp fodder was not as good as being a star in the CFL.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
No Ka Oi
Starter

20 starters at $120K equals, $2.4M plus two QBs at $200K bumps that total up to $2.8M, leaving $1.4M for the remaining 24 roster players, plus the PR group. That averages out to just over $40K per......hmmm.
I guess you right Rammer, but it wasn't that long ago that the average salary was $50k? Not bad for 6 months work! I only wish I would of taken my football career a little more seriously, but then my jr. high football coach never gave me a fair shot...so I joined the computer club instead :sigh:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
No Ka Oi wrote:It seems like our whole team is making at least $120-$140k now, but I guess Wally has found a way to keep the Lions under the SMS.
20 starters at $120K equals, $2.4M plus two QBs at $200K bumps that total up to $2.8M, leaving $1.4M for the remaining 24 roster players, plus the PR group. That averages out to just over $40K per......hmmm.
Gonna do some guessing here ...

Some starters under or near $100K:

Jiminez, Haji-Rasouli, Green, Jackson

Wake, Hunt, Floyd, Glatt, J. Johnson, Glover, Philips, Miles

I'm gonna guess there is $1.7 M (maybe more like $1.8 M) available for the non-starters, etc. Closer to $48K (or $49 or $50) for practice roster and backup players. Backups of course get much more than the PR players, so maybe the backups average about $60K and the PR guys about $40K.

I still wonder if Braley has a big apartment building somewhere in Surrey. Put all the players in there. Would that be allowed by the CFL? Free rent? Probably not. I think they get free food in the dressing room quite often also. Another grey area of compensation.

Share an apartment. Scarf down lots of free food. Live in your Lions T-Shirts, sweats, etc. and you can get by quite cheaply. The PR guys have to.
moby

6 months work- now that is funny!

back in the day,,,,, when i was in j. h. lmao
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Fantastic news! When I originally heard that it was the Texans Joe had a try-out with, I figured he was as good as gone. Having the chance to play 'ball at home, close to his family and not having to fly in and out during the season and getting paid more money, it seemed like a no-brainer. I honestly think that Joe has the talent to be an NFL 'back. He runs hard and is durable and has the speed in the open field to hit the home run. He's underrated as far as I'm concerned and would have been a good fit as a 3rd down/short yardage back for the Texans. The fact he turned down their offer is a true testament to just how much he likes playing for the Lions and playing for Wally. Here's to Joe leading the CFL in rushing once again next season. Welcome back, Joe! :yahoo:
Dan Russell
Legend

Great news as he he'll take a bit of the load off JJ and BP.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

It was hard to tell if NFL teams were really serious about Joe other than 3rd or fourth on their depth charts at this point in his career, but I couldn't be more pleased at the outcome.

A three-year deal is more than I could be tickled with, and Smith has that intangible quality of never showing how hurt he really is, because he never seems to let it show how effective he is more often than not.

God thanks to you Joe for returning to a team that really loves and understands you, and putting us over the top!
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Awesome!
didn't want to lose Joe so fast
Good luck Joe and here's :beer: to having another great year
running the rock! :football:
Bighill is Badass
sixbeamers
Rookie

According to Joe Smith's agent, Harold Lewis, Joe was offered a contract by the Texans -- totalling about $370,000 for the season, including bonuses. (Read story in the Friday on-line version of The Vancouver Sun. An expanded version is in Saturday's paper).
However, the guaranteed portion of the deal (a signing bonus) wasn't significant. The Texans already have Ahman Green, Ron Dayne and Darius Walker on the depth chart at running back. Plus, the team is expected to take a running back early in the NFL college draft (the Texas were 22nd overall in rushing last season in the NFL). In addition, more running backs could be arriving in Houston through the free agency period (starting Feb. 29).
Rather than have Joe sign and risk getting cut before the start of NFL camps, Lewis said they opted to go with "security and familiarity" by accepting the Lions' standing offer (negotiated in January). A Lions official said that Smith will be paid comparable to other premier CFL running backs, including Joffrey Reynolds and Jarrett Payton. That's in the neighbourhood of $140 K per season.
Lewis said Smith had other offers from NFL teams, but the Texans were the only NFL destination which interested him. He and his wife, Andrea, live in Houston.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sixbeamers wrote:According to Joe Smith's agent, Harold Lewis, Joe was offered a contract by the Texans -- totalling about $370,000 for the season, including bonuses. (Read story in the Friday on-line version of The Vancouver Sun. An expanded version is in Saturday's paper).
I read the stories online, sixbeamers. It was nice to get the scoop on the deal. I'll read the hardcopy later on today. :thup:

Joe Smith is such a unique character, along with his amazing talent, that he will no doubt continue to provide lots of great material for our reporters. Heroic Joe. Pop Can Joe. Gypsy Joe. Mysterious Joe. Superman Joe. Gotta Go, Catch a Plane Joe. Et cetera.

I think his signing has been the best news Lionbackers and all Lions' fans have received all winter.
Dan Russell
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sixbeamers wrote:According to Joe Smith's agent, Harold Lewis, Joe was offered a contract by the Texans -- totalling about $370,000 for the season, including bonuses. (Read story in the Friday on-line version of The Vancouver Sun. An expanded version is in Saturday's paper).
I read the stories online, sixbeamers. It was nice to get the scoop on the deal. I'll read the hardcopy later on today. :thup:

Joe Smith is such a unique character, along with his amazing talent, that he will no doubt continue to provide lots of great material for our reporters. Heroic Joe. Pop Can Joe. Gypsy Joe. Mysterious Joe. Superman Joe. Gotta Go, Catch a Plane Joe. Et cetera.

I think his signing has been the best news Lionbackers and all Lions' fans have received all winter.
For sure.
David
Team Captain

Great to have Joe back in the Lions Den. :beauty: With his unique sense of style and a warm iconoclastic personality, he should be a natural for the Lions' Marketing Department to prominently feature. Joe's tailor made for the West Coast.

Another reason I relieved he's back? I just paid $350 for his orange jersey at the locker room sale. :roar:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

This develoment validates my line of posts regarding Joe Smith's NFL prospects. I had speculated that a raft of high profile college juniors declaring for the draft would have an effect on Joe's NFL prospects. That appears to be exactly what has happened. Smith's people read the tea leaves and surmised that the Texans will opt for a RB in the 1st round. The draft will have a number of fairly high profile RBs this year but not one as good as Adrian Peterson. Run DMC (Arkansas - Jr) is expected to go first ( Raiders?) because of the hype, but if you saw Mike Maycock's very good analysis of draft eligible backs, you will know that Run's problem is that his legs go dead on the first hit. He thinks Illinois' Mendenhall is the best back available. The Texans will likely go for one of them or East Carolina's excellent Chris Johnson. The joke is on them though as Smith is better than any of them. He explodes into holes, finds the open space and keeps his legs moving after the first hit. Not great breakaway speed but in a four down league that isn't neccesarily a deal killer. Good to have Joe back in Lion colours for 3 more years.
swervyn mervyn
Rookie

hate to be redundant but damn i am so happy that "battering ram" joe is back! thank God for the lousy bottle return system in the u.s.,lol
Dan Russell
Legend

It is good to have that wild cat Joe back. He'll be seen at the local theaters returning popcorns bags for refills. People think that it is funny but he has the right idea as they charge an arm and a leg for popcorn.