World Junior Hockey Tournament

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

This is a tournament I look forward to every Christmas and the hockey is as exciting as the NHL playoffs or the Olympic tournament to me. The only downside is the refing is usually pretty bad :thdn: but Canada is usually able to overcome the bad calls for the most part. They have been playing the old games on ESPN Classic and I just watched the 1978 team with Gretzky and right now the 1987 infamous brawl against the USSR is on.....the night the lights went out :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ahhhh... the punchup in Piestany!

This clip must be from the same telecast you're watching, L24.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

News1130.com wrote:Canada opens defence of world junior title with Bernier in goal

December 24, 2007 - 9:37 am

By: THE CANADIAN PRESS

PARDUBICE, Czech Republic - Jonathan Bernier will start in goal when Canada opens the world junior hockey championship on Wednesday.

Head coach Craig Hartsburg gave the nod Monday to the 19-year-old from Laval, Que. Canada opens defence of its title and starts chasing the country's fourth straight gold medal against the host Czech Republic (2 p.m. ET).

Bernier, a Los Angeles Kings draft pick, stopped 23 of 24 shots he faced in Canada's 6-1 exhibition win Thursday against Slovakia, which had 13 power plays in the game.

He and Steve Mason each made nine saves while splitting time during a 5-0 win over Austrian club team Red Bull Salzburg on Dec. 17.

Mason, property of the Columbus Blue Jackets, made 31 saves on 33 shots in Canada's 4-2 win over Finland on Sunday in Chrudin, Czech Republic.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The only downside of watching the Canadian Juniors is the time. Most of them are in early mornings on the West Coast.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Early morning could also be VERY LATE night, depending on how you look at it :)
(\__/)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The only downside of watching the Canadian Juniors is the time. Most of them are in early mornings on the West Coast.
The schedule is actually not that bad this year considering it's in Europe. None of Canada's games start before 7amPT (I think TSN's scheduled broadcast times include a half hour pregame show, if they're consistent with previous years). In fact, the only games outside of what one might consider normal west coast waking hours are two 5amPT starts on Dec 31 involving only Euro teams. At any rate, TSN often provides evening encore broadcasts of these games.

If I've read TSN's broadcast schedule correctly, they're having a one-hour tournament preview show at 4pmPT today, with encores tomorrow morning at 3am, 5am, 7am and once again in the immediate run-up to the first game, i.e.: preview encore at 9:30am, pregame of first game at 10:30am, then the first game (vs Czechs) at 11:00am. An encore of this Czech game will follow at 9pm.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Are there any Vancouver Giants or Chilliwack Bruins players in the tournament?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jonathan Blum for the US
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Jonathan Blum for the US
Okay, I guess it's time for me to play devil's advocate again and bring up this point that I mentioned on other posts before. :twisted:

Since there are no Giants or Bruins on Team Canada while defenseman Jonathon Blum was a vital part of the Giants 2006 WHL Championship and 2007 Memorial Cup Championship, then should we be cheering for Team USA?

ImageImage

Since the beginning of this tournament in 1974, Team USA has only won it once in 2004. Is it time for them to win it again?
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:... then should we be cheering for Team USA?

Since the beginning of this tournament in 1974, Team USA has only won it once in 2004. Is it time for them to win it again?
No chance in hell!

I got a Giants jersey (official, not replica!) for Christmas, I know what I'll be wearing at 10:30 tomorrow morning!
(\__/)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:I got a Giants jersey (official, not replica!) for Christmas, I know what I'll be wearing at 10:30 tomorrow morning!
And does that jersey happen to say BLUM at the back? :tease:
Soundy
Hall of Famer

No... they (wife's idea, sister's gift) thought of that, but didn't know what player to get. That woulda put it well out of the gift budget anyway. Maybe I'll get a name on it for my birthday in July... we'll see who our Memorial Cup MVP is this year ;)
(\__/)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Since there are no Giants or Bruins on Team Canada while defenseman Jonathon Blum was a vital part of the Giants 2006 WHL Championship and 2007 Memorial Cup Championship, then should we be cheering for Team USA?
Absolutely not. I'm cheering for Team Canada, not team Blum
lion24
Legend

Good start by the Canadian Team although they looked a little rusty but it was a tough start against the home team. Bernier was awesome in net and the rest of the team played well enough but need to get better. Next game against Slovakia tomorrow at 9:30 ET am.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
D
Team Captain

Big Win by Canada today ... a little slow atart but they finished strong ... I managed to watch some of the game while at work today

You'll never guess who came into the store today while the game was on ..... Ernie "Punch" McLean :shock: :beauty:
I own The Grey Cup! .com