Dickenson Decision Will Happen Quickly

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I'm anticiipating our Leos decision regarding Dickenson decision will happen fairly quickly. Dickenson's salary starts counting towards next years SMS as soon as the Grey Cup game is over.

If our Leos have decided to sign Jarious, which I'm anticipating, they could get it done quickly with a similar offer of $200,000 that Pierce has. That would allow Jarious to believe he has an equal chance of fighting for the starters position next season with Buck. If our Leos offer less to Jarious we could be in a similar situation as 2005, when Wally said Printers and Dickenson would compete equally for the starters position but he offered Printers less than Dickenson. A similar contract between Jarious and Buck will indicate that he means it when he says both will compete.

As for Dickenson, over the past four seasons, Dickenson has only started 27 of our 72 regular season games...a 36% average with Dickenson as our starter for regular season games. During that time our backups have been our starters for 64% fo the time. We certainly would benefit from having our starter be able to play more games in the future.

With the amount of money Dickenson is making and not available for the majority of the time to start, you're backups are winning a lot of games for you. That's been the case here in B.C. and why we spend so much time talking about quarterbacks. If you're not getting it done the majority of the time in the playoffs with Dickenson playing...it only makes sense to go in a new direction.

Had Dickenson chose to retire at the end of this season the ending would have been different than Wally being forced to cut Dickenson. However, even with his multiple concussions, Dickenson still wants to play.

As for Dickenson becoming a coach.....I don''t anticipate that scenario. Dickenson didn't want to call his own plays because he didn't want to spend the time in game planning meetings. Wally is the last coach to arrive each day at 4:30 a.m. As an assistant, Dickenson would be expected to arrive eariler. Assistant coaches don't get paid anything close to a starting CFL quarterback's salary. Dickenson is used to getting a lot of extra winks as a quarterback than an assistant coach gets.

I expect this decision to be made over the next couple of weeks!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
bbking
Starter

What if Dave Dickenson pulls a Bobby Shingh and says he would play for less ? A lot less , say 200k . I don't envy Wallys' position .It will be very interesting to see how it all unfolds.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Is it really fact about the GC game being a deadline for SMS? Don't you think Wally has the right to cut him before camp?

Anyways, i can't disagree with you. I think he lets him go. Too bad it ended the way it did; with the injury in the last year then losing in the final with the best team. No doubt it would have been much easier for Dave if we were there today.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dave D gave the Lions instant credibility and instant offense when he signed on with us in 2003. Apparently he would have preferred Calgary, since his wife works there, and Dave plays off-season recreational hockey there, but the Calgary F-Troop (Feterik and Fateri) still had dreams that daddy's boy (Kevin Feterik) could be a viable CFL quarterback. So Dave Dickenson came west.

After a Grey Cup win, a complete football-playing resume, a CFL Hall-of-Fame career, and too many concussions, Dave's family and friends should be counselling him to retire.

It is time for Buck and Jarious to take the leadership reins of the Lions, with Gino holding the clipboard, and running the scout team. Even if Dave was still at the top of his game, his history of injuries would indicate that younger guys need to start. They have already started most of the games in recent years, although without the fully confirmed starter status that they, and the team, need.

If Dave took a heavy pay cut to be a backup with the Lions, his very presence would undermine the confidence of the other QBs, and confuse the team. How could it not? Wally turns to Dave come playoff time. Dave would be the gorilla in the corner, casting too big a shadow for the younger guys.

Whatever comes to pass, for all you have done with the Lions, and the CFL, Dave, here's to you. :beer:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Thats why IMO it was so important this year for the Lions to go out on top. If we had gone and won the cup, I think this situation would have played itself out much more easily. Dave would probably have retired with nothing else left to prove to himself or the fans of the CFL. Now as it stands, he is probably still determined to try and go a least one more season to see if he can put those demons to rest. I love having DD as our QB. Bar none, he is one of the best we have ever had. I have little doubt that had he been able to remain healthy, his on field performances would rival those of Doug Flutie in terms of legend status. However, playing roughly a third of the games he could have and missing the rest due to injury really does present a problem. Rhythm and chemistry are hard to establish and very fragile. You know that every player on the team is gonna wonder not "if" Dave is gonna get hurt again but "when" and how long will he be out for. That has to eat at a player especially the Oline that can play as good as an Oline can and still see their QB get crocked with little that can be done to prevent. it. I really can't see DD coming back under these circumstances. The high salary and injury proneness are just too huge of factors to carry on in the current vein. I only wish that this last game wasn't such a disappointment. It may make the temptation on the part of a lot of people to do the wrong thing stronger.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I made my opinion known in another thread where I believe it's time for the Lions to begin the post-DD era. Honestly, I don't know if I could stomach another season of him getting hurt and weekly updates of when he will return to the line-up.

It's similar to how Rita had a hard time moving on without Damon Allen until Ackles stepped in and it would lead to costing Rita his job.

That said.... Quesdad has good inside sources with the Lions and did offer this up in another thread.
Anyways I couldn't have been more proud of the team tonite and this morning with Dave....I would suggest you may not want to write him off too soon!!!
Take it for what it's worth.
Tighthead
Legend

[quote="WestCoastJoe"]
If Dave took a heavy pay cut to be a backup with the Lions, his very presence would undermine the confidence of the other QBs, and confuse the team. How could it not? Wally turns to Dave come playoff time. Dave would be the gorilla in the corner, casting too big a shadow for the younger guys.
quote]

That is my biggest concern in a nutshell. I think Wally went to DD too early, and last weeks game plan was a DD game plan. Better to end the relationship a year too early as opposed to a year too late.
Blitz
Team Captain

Dave D gave the Lions instant credibility and instant offense when he signed on with us in 2003. Apparently he would have preferred Calgary, since his wife works there, and Dave plays off-season recreational hockey there, but the Calgary F-Troop (Feterik and Fateri) still had dreams that daddy's boy (Kevin Feterik) could be a viable CFL quarterback. So Dave Dickenson came west.

After a Grey Cup win, a complete football-playing resume, a CFL Hall-of-Fame career, and too many concussions, Dave's family and friends should be counselling him to retire.

It is time for Buck and Jarious to take the leadership reins of the Lions, with Gino holding the clipboard, and running the scout team. Even if Dave was still at the top of his game, his history of injuries would indicate that younger guys need to start. They have already started most of the games in recent years, although without the fully confirmed starter status that they, and the team, need.

We all recognize that Dave Dickenson has many strengths as a quarterback. However, he has also been a quarterback with a talented group of receivers to throw to!

The fact is that Casey Printers was able to to become our starter in Game 4 of the 2004 season, with only four pro snaps in his rookie season the year before, and win a MOP award while leading us to first place in the West. Last season, Buck Pierce was able to come in and win games for us, while leading the league in passing percentage and coming in second in quarterback efficiency. He only had one start in his rookie season and didn't finish that game.,

This season, Jarious Jackson, without any previous starts as a CFL quarterback, and come in and go 9-2 as a starter in leading us to first place in the West.

The fact is that we've had very little drop off and occasionally we've even played better with backup quarterbacks with very little experience.

I'm not worried at all about our quarterback situation without Dickenson. We will be able to win a lot of games in the future, whether it's Jarious Jackson or Buck Pierce starting or both playing.

Buck tends to play better in the first half of games and Jarious plays better in the second half of games. Jarious is the more accurate passer with the deep ball while Buck throws the intermediate pass better. Pierce tends to get sacked more often but also tends to use his legs more to get first downs. Jarious has 11 CFL starts and Buck has 11 CFL starts. Both have upside and will only get better with experience.

I agree with you West Coast Joe. If Dickenson is not going to be our starter next season we should say goodbye. He is not a quarterback who could settle in as a backup quarterback and his shadow would be too large. It will never be Buck or Jarious's team if Dickenson is still here. Printers was criticized for saying it was 'Dickenson's team' as long as he was here but he was right. The starter will always feel like he is on a short rope and will always know that there is an addiction to going with Dickenson in the playoffs, even if he is rusty. Dickenson can't remain on the roster if we choose to go with a different starter for 2008 and I believe we will!!

We need more consistency, in terms of starts, from the quarterback position. Yes, all quarterbacks can get hurt but only starting less than 36% of our games over the past four seasons is just too low a number for an offence to get the kind of consistency from the position. In fact, you really can't have that kind of percentage of starts from any player on your roster!! Football is the ultimate team sport and teams get better when teammates play with each other regularly.

Dickenson is likely a future Hall of Famer but that is not a sure thing. He won a MOP award with Calgary and he won one Grey Cup here with us in B.C. However, he is a second strata quarterback, in terms of the history of CFL greats, who played the position. Jackie Parker, Doug Flutie, Russ Jackson, and Warren Moon represent that upper strata.

Flutie was a six-time CFL Most Outstanding Player, three-time Grey Cup champion, three-time Grey Cup MVP, and the record-holder for most TD passes in a single season. Jackie Parker won three Grey Cups, was the MOP three different times, and won six consecutive Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophies as the West Division's most outstanding player from 1956 to 1961, and seven in total. Russ Jackson won 3 Grey Cup Championships, was the CFL's MOP three different times, and was also won the Schenley for Top Canadian 4 times. Warren Moon won 5 Grey Cups in 6 CFL seasons along with two MOP Awards.

Dickenson will end up more in the category of Dietre Brock, Matt Dunnigan, Bernie Faloney, Joe Kapp, and Peter Liske...very good quarterbacks who made an impression on the CFL but are not considered amongst the all-time greats at the quarterback postion.

There seem to be only three scenarios that I see for Dickenson for 2008. One is to be a backup quarterback here (not the scenario I like), a backup quarterback for Calgary (a possibility) or retirement.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
No Ka Oi
Starter

If we let Dave go, he will be snapped up by Calgary or Sask in a minute...giving our divisional competitors some long sought after QB depth.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree that it's time for the Lions to "go in a different direction" at starting quarterback, as Bob Ackles would say. If Dickenson still wants to play, I would wish him well and release him or try to trade him.

If he wants to get into coaching, though, I would rather retain him with the Lions. The team could usea QB coach, and Dickenson's abilities can't be discounted. The Lions were 8-0-1 this year after Dickenson's concussion when he practised during ther week and advised the other QBs from the sidelines.
Rick James
Legend

Blitz wrote: Dickenson's salary starts counting towards next years SMS as soon as the Grey Cup game is over.

I don't see how DD's salary could go against the cap starting today? Otherwise you'd see dudes all over the league getting released today. Are there roster bonuses due today or something?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite the many wishes of the Lionbackers I don't see Dave Dickenson coaching although he would make a good one.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm anticiipating our Leos decision regarding Dickenson decision will happen fairly quickly. Dickenson's salary starts counting towards next years SMS as soon as the Grey Cup game is over.
Looks like it's happening as I predicted!! However, a press conference on Monday morning isn't wasting any time!!
Big Time
Champion

Tighthead
Legend

TSN says they will offer him a new deal as well - that is not turning the page as I had hoped for.