WF: So where will the game be won or lost?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

I want to get the Lion perspective, what will be the difference in the game, where will the game be won or lost? Somebody said there was a lack of football talk on both sites, well, let's talk football, let's get it on......
Luke
All Star

In the trenches. Not having Jimenez could be a factor in that respect, depending on how the Leos choose to fill his spot. Either by inserting Amariah Farrow, or moving Sherko to tackle, and shifting Dean Valli into Sherko's spot. Apparently, the latter will be the Lions choice.

Also, the noise will be a factor to. I expect Joseph to deal with the noise much better this time, but we'll see what happens.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree, the battle will won in the trenches. The Lions need to keep Joseph in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm rather than his legs. On the other side of the ball the Lions need to establish the run to keep the Saskatchewan defensive line off balance.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Luke wrote:In the trenches. Not having Jimenez could be a factor in that respect, depending on how the Leos choose to fill his spot. Either by inserting Amariah Farrow, or moving Sherko to tackle, and shifting Dean Valli into Sherko's spot. Apparently, the latter will be the Lions choice.

Also, the noise will be a factor to. I expect Joseph to deal with the noise much better this time, but we'll see what happens.
What is your choice based on the bolded part?

Austin says he has some special tactics to deal with the noise, not sure what they are, he wouldn't say obviously......He said he learned them from a game in the Big O apparently......There's silent counts but I have never coached professionally obviously so I don't know what the other options are.....
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:I agree, the battle will won in the trenches. The Lions need to keep Joseph in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm rather than his legs. On the other side of the ball the Lions need to establish the run to keep the Saskatchewan defensive line off balance.
That's an astute observation, because its no secret that the Riders running game is duct-taped together after injuries, Wes Cates may be back on Sunday but who knows, they probably won't say anything on his status till they have to when they release the depth chart......
Rammer
Team Captain

I can't see Jimenez not wanting to appeal, given that he will likely get to play this game. His missed block against Perry changed the season from the Lions perspective and I am sure that he wants to acquit himself on this stage for his error. If Jimenez does make the game, it would be an interesting matchup, as he was vulnerable to the inside speed rush that Perry executed on another occasion as well this season.

Rider had better find a way for Joseph to react to the crowd noise, as he and his line didn't look comfortable with it last season.

The game is generally lost on the LoS, the team that wins that has a decided edge, although the Lions will have to worry more about KJ running than a depleted backfield the Riders will bring in.

If the Riders contain Smith, then they will help their cause as it will allow the front 7 to pin their ears back and just concern themselves with rushing JJ or DD, something that they do well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Rammer wrote:I can't see Jimenez not wanting to appeal, given that he will likely get to play this game. His missed block against Perry changed the season from the Lions perspective and I am sure that he wants to acquit himself on this stage for his error. If Jimenez does make the game, it would be an interesting matchup, as he was vulnerable to the inside speed rush that Perry executed on another occasion as well this season.

Rider had better find a way for Joseph to react to the crowd noise, as he and his line didn't look comfortable with it last season.

The game is generally lost on the LoS, the team that wins that has a decided edge, although the Lions will have to worry more about KJ running than a depleted backfield the Riders will bring in.

If the Riders contain Smith, then they will help their cause as it will allow the front 7 to pin their ears back and just concern themselves with rushing JJ or DD, something that they do well.

I think Austin has KJ playing smarter, not necessarily that much better, but maybe because he is playing smarter that makes him better, who knows......Austin seems to suggest he has all these tricks up his sleeve to deal with the noise, I am curious to see what that is....

Riders are a different team this year with some of the same players from last year. Reason is coaching, Premier Wall said Austin does one heck of a speech cause he was in the locker room after the game yesterday.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

I think the battle will be between Fantuz and Clermont, whoever has the better day between those 2 guys will come out on top. Because the Riders and Lions have both established a running game in their own ways.....
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:I think the battle will be between Fantuz and Clermont, whoever has the better day between those 2 guys will come out on top. Because the Riders and Lions have both established a running game in their own ways.....
Good point. The difference may be not so much those two themselves, but the secondaries that cover them. Lions looked weak last week, and 'Riders somewhat suspect yesterday at times, but for the most part solid in shutting down Stampeder receivers.

With Holmes the only relatively healthy 'Rider RB, one would think the running game would go the the League's leading rusher in Joe Smith, but Kerry Joseph could easily be most of the 'Rider running attack.
Gforce in Edmonton
Rookie

Solar Max wrote:
Gforce in Edmonton wrote:I think the battle will be between Fantuz and Clermont, whoever has the better day between those 2 guys will come out on top. Because the Riders and Lions have both established a running game in their own ways.....
Good point. The difference may be not so much those two themselves, but the secondaries that cover them. Lions looked weak last week, and 'Riders somewhat suspect yesterday at times, but for the most part solid in shutting down Stampeder receivers.

With Holmes the only relatively healthy 'Rider RB, one would think the running game would go the the League's leading rusher in Joe Smith, but Kerry Joseph could easily be most of the 'Rider running attack.
Cates may be back, but outside of KJ, the Rider running game is a little duct taped.......The Rider receivers outside of Flick/ Fantuz will have to step up, cause the solid BC defense will key on them, I doubt we will get an opening play TD like we did yesterday vs a BC defense, I'll say that.....

If Jarius is allowed a lot of time with the ball, it will be a long day for the Riders....Finally we saw some imagination with the pass rush from Richie Hall yesterday, they have to do that again to have any kind of success.......
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I saw one Full Blitz Cover Zero yesterday from a team that shall remain nameless; If your name isn't Rick Campbell, then you have no business trying that, IMO.

:twisted: :wink:
Jer Bear
Rookie

I know the cliche is to say the game is won and lost in the trenches and I agree with that statement 99% of the time, but not this time. I honestly think this game comes down to the DB's and the Receivers, whoever wins that battle will win the game. Also, I think Dickenson will be starting the game, but I don't think Wally will be scared to put in Jackson if Dave struggles (and that doesn't happen to often)
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Jer Bear wrote:I know the cliche is to say the game is won and lost in the trenches and I agree with that statement 99% of the time, but not this time. I honestly think this game comes down to the DB's and the Receivers, whoever wins that battle will win the game. Also, I think Dickenson will be starting the game, but I don't think Wally will be scared to put in Jackson if Dave struggles (and that doesn't happen to often)
Agreed, except that Jackson WILL start on Sunday, not DD. I suspect that we will see DD by the third quarter if Jackson does not move the ball with consistency, though.
The_Real_Deal
Rookie

Rammer wrote:I can't see Jimenez not wanting to appeal, given that he will likely get to play this game. His missed block against Perry changed the season from the Lions perspective and I am sure that he wants to acquit himself on this stage for his error. If Jimenez does make the game, it would be an interesting matchup, as he was vulnerable to the inside speed rush that Perry executed on another occasion as well this season.

I would imagine that any Jimenez appeal will be settled in time for Sunday. Given that there is no guarantee that the Lions will make it past Sunday, it would be pretty odd for the league to not settle the appeal in time for the game so that if his appeal is denied, his suspension isn't carrying over to next year if the Lions lose on Sunday.
The_Real_Deal
Rookie

Gforce in Edmonton wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

Cates may be back, but outside of KJ, the Rider running game is a little duct taped.......The Rider receivers outside of Flick/ Fantuz will have to step up, cause the solid BC defense will key on them, I doubt we will get an opening play TD like we did yesterday vs a BC defense, I'll say that.....

If Jarius is allowed a lot of time with the ball, it will be a long day for the Riders....Finally we saw some imagination with the pass rush from Richie Hall yesterday, they have to do that again to have any kind of success.......
That's where Corey Grant comes in. Doesn't get a lot of balls his way, but he has been money for the Riders as a 3rd option in key situations.

Kind of like Mark Guy in 1989, only more established.