Leos/Riders Post-Game Thoughts!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

It was an uphill battle all the way but in the end "Jarious Jackson led us to the Promised Land"!! :thup: What an exciting game, even though things looked dismal at times, but we kept fighting... and in the end won the game with a thrilling game winning drive!

OFFENCE

It was a miserable first half as the Riders defensive line dominated our offence, keeping Jarious Jackson under immense pressure. The Riders zone blitzed and run blitzed in an attempt to shut down Joe Smith's inside running game in check and Jarious undere tremendous heat, forcing quick throws to well covered receivers. Kruck and Dorazio wisely went to the ptich series,as was suggested in 'Keys To The Game" ies in the second quarter and Joe Smith was able to get outside of Regina's run blitz for some key running plays.

However, it really was only big two special team plays that allowed our offence to pick up a couple of scores and stay in the thick of it. We only completed three passes in that first half. At the end of the first half, following a Jarious Jackson sack, a donnybrook ensued with Rodgers thrown out of the game. Sherko was very fortunate not to get thrown out as well although a Rider defender also ripped off Murphy's helmet and got away with it. The donnybrook seemed to liven up our offence in the second half. Our offensive line really picked it up in the second half and allowed Jarious more time to throw and he started to come alive.

However, there was a moment when it seemed that all was lost. Wally made the right call to gamble deep in our zone on third and less than one. The entire Riders defense lined up offside and got away with it and their quick explosion stuffed Jackson behind the line as he tried to slant left. The quick score could have deflated us but it didn't!!

Another heartbreaking play that should have gone for huge yardage was a great second dowon and short call by Kruck Jarious faked the sneak, dropped quickly and hit a wide open Ty Williams deep behind the Regina secondary but he dropped the football.

Jarious started to go to Simon and Clermont more later in the third quarter and early in the fourth. Geroy was also in his MOP form in the second half. You could see it in his eyes, in the way he approached the line of scrimmage, in his speed, and mostly in his double moves and stutter steps that he impressed us with so much last season.

In the end, we did in with Jarious's arm and Simon's legs with Paris Jackson and Jason Clermont also coming up huge. In order to beat the Riders we couldn't just do it with Joe Smith. Jackson went 6/7 on one huge fourth quarter scoring drive, capping it off with an end zone toss to Jason Clermont.

With less than a minute and a half left, on our own 35 yard line, and in a hurry up offence. Jackson drove our team down to the Riders 31 yard line with key tosses to Paris Jackson and Geroy Simon. Then, with time running out Jackson hit Simon with a purrfect toss deep behind coverage, as Geroy's double move got him by the halfback and behind the safety.

They say it's not how you start but how you finish. Under pressure, with first place on the line, with time running out, with the Riders crowd causing procedure penalties, our offence came through when it counted the most with a game winning drive, finished off in spectacular fashion!!

DEFENSE

If defensive pressure kills, then a lack of defensive pressure kills defensive backs!! That was the story of the first half. We couldn't get near Joseph, who often had more than 5 seconds to throw the football. The Riders offensive line dominated our defensive line. Our backs were beaten badly at times against a well conceived Rider passing game.

In the second quarter Ritchie finally went to the rotation, using Foley who got a sack but still we stuggled to get to Joseph, with Wake the only defensive lineman even getting occasional pressure.

However, in the second half it was a completely different defense. Ritchie started to blitz more on first down. Ty Williams got some big pressure inside at times. Wake became a force and was all over the field. We forced the Riders into continuous two and outs or short drives. However, when our offence failed on their third down gamble, deep in our offensive zone and the Riders scored quickly, it could have easily been a mortal blow.

However, as the game got closer, our defensive intensity and especially our pressure on Joseph got better and better. Our defense shut down the Riders offence twice with the game on the line, providing our offence with the opporunity for last second heroics.!!

SPECIAL TEAMS

I believed, before this game, that special teams could be the difference maker, as it usually is, in a tight game between two excellent teams fighting for bragging rights to being the best in the CFL. Ian Smart's brilliant return in the first half and Barrin Miles blocked punt were critical plays or the Riders could have walked away with this one early.

WRAP

Wally believed in Jarious in this game as did I but one wouldn't be human if there hadn't been a few doubts at various times in this game! However, when Jarious had the football with less than a minute and a half to play there was no other quarterback that I would have wanted to have the ball. Jarious just comes through in those situations! He has all season!! He often starts slow and you could see the nerves were back in the first half although it was mostly Rider pressure that shut down our first half passing game.

Our offence and our defense, in this game, fought through a lot of adversity. Jarious fought through early adversity as did our offensive line. Geroy Simon has fought through his own adversity and showed that he could be the go to guy again, now that he is running routes like Geroy of old. Joe Smith is still a special back, eccentric or not....he's just pure money on the football field. Paris Jackson is looking more and more like a star and Clermont is still a clutch player.

It was great to see Barrin Miles shine again, not only on special teams but also at his safety position. Phillips stuggled some in the first half but had a great second half!!

Time to have a few brews, get rid of the butterflies that are still there, and savor a great come from behind victory!! :paw:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great summation, Blitz, as always.

Here are some post-game comments from Buono and Geroy:

Buono:

"Geroy has his mind made up now."

"James Bethea really stepped up on the short side corner."

"Goodwell and Jerome really helped."

"very physical game"

"we kept it close"

"give Jarious a lot of credit"

"he knew what he wanted to do with the football"

"Jarious came through for us again."

"I'm proud of our football team; we fought through a lot of adversity"

Geroy:

"I feel good."

"I'm ready to rock and roll."

"Jarious is trusting me."

"This is one of the best games that I've been in."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A gutsy performance from the Lions tonight. It was frustrating to see the secondary being picked apart by Joseph. The refereeing was atrocious on both sides of the football. It was extremely frustrating to see the number of balls being knocked down on the line of scrimmage. Jackson needs to have a higher trajectory on his release. Must be another frustrating night for the Rider Nation to lose in the last minute. On a 3rd and 10 no less !
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What a game! I thought it was going to be the Riders day but wow. Even when we coughed up the ball it seemed to bounce the Lions way. This loss is really going to hurt the Riders but the Lions had better play better next week at home.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

It was frustrating to see the secondary being picked apart by Joseph.
Certainly the secondary has it's share of problems in both injury and scheme. I look forward to the day that Mark Washington no longer plays wide side corner, for example.

But that pass rush has to be more consistent. And that may be a matter of getting the guys into a rotation, or running the occasional stunt. This is not something you want to be typing 12 games into the season, but since both Kirk and Foley saw playing time tonight, perhaps we might get our wish.
Blitz
Team Captain

Love the post game comments you posted above West Coast Joe!

Sure a lot better to read than BCEEEEEEEEEEEEE' s comments about Jarious before the game was even over.!! I think right now, he is using forceps to try to get his tongue pulled back out of his own butt!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a tough spot for our offence to be in, for the second half, when we lost Rodgers. We had to use Boden and Anderson and even though they never caught a pass that I can remember they still had to execute routes properly and be threats in order to not allow the Riders to totally overkey our big three receivers!

However, the fact was that the Riders were keying Jackson, Simon, and Clermont in the second half. Impressive that we could get it done, with the Riders keying that way! However, when the Riders didn't get a lot of pressure on Jarious in the fourth quarter that was their death wish! With Jackson having time...he may not throw for high percentage but he can hurt you quickly.... and Geroy, Jason, and Paris taking it to a new level...they just couldn't stop us when it counted.!!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

And it sounded like the Lions actually threw out of the trips right bunch formation a couple of times.

Finally.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

from the CFL live play by play script, for your viewing pleasure:

Read from the bottom up:
4 163 BC S5 1/10 P. MCCALLUM Convert (5 yds) - Convert(1) (14:26)

4 162 BC S33 3/10 J. JACKSON Completed Pass to G. SIMON (33 yds) - Touchdown (14:26)

4 161 BC S28 3/5 PENALTY B.C.: K. BATES Procedure (5 yds)

4 160 BC S33 2/10 J. JACKSON Run (5 yds), S. LUCAS Forced Fumble J. JACKSON Recovery

4 159 BC S33 1/10 J. JACKSON Incomplete Pass intended for J. CLERMONT

4 158 BC S49 1/10 J. JACKSON Completed Pass to P. JACKSON (16 yds), Tackle: R. HUNT

4 157 BC B48 1/10 J. JACKSON Completed Pass to G. SIMON (13 yds)

4 156 BC B34 1/10 J. JACKSON Completed Pass to P. JACKSON (14 yds), Tackle: J. JOHNSON (1:31)
Jackson to Simon,

Touchdown for the Ages

Rock on, Boys :rockin:
CartWheelFan
All Star

Well put as always Blitz, I have to admit, during parts of the first half, and even into the second I was starting to think ahead to which bar I wanted to go to in order to drown my sorrows, but then Jarious started hitting Jeroy, JC, Paris with key passes, and the rally cap came on. It's a HUGE win, but still shows areas open for improvement, which is fine because the moment you start believing in your own invincibility is the moment you are truely defeated. That final drive will stay in the memories of both teams, and the fans of both teams for a long time to come! Welcome back Jeroy!

The final point I'd like to make is concerning the proceedure calls against BC due to the fan noise, yes they were disruptive, but they did not completely shut down drives. Not like the way the BC crowd did to Sask during last years Western Final. I think that just goes to show that all the complaining the Riders did after that game about fan noise disruption can go both ways, it's how a team responds to it that carries the day. Tonight, despite all the cards stacked against them; the dominating play of the Rider defense in the first half, the sputtering start of the passing game, and the ejection of one of BC's recievers, and also the exit from the game by Glover due to injury, the Lions fought their way through, and Jarious Jackson did indeed lead us to the promised land! A great, if not a little nerve wracking game, GO LIONS GO!!

Shout outs to Miles and Philips for their outstanding play, especially Philips sealing the deal with the INT at the end!

Now lets hit the bar!! :beer:
Blitz
Team Captain

But that pass rush has to be more consistent. And that may be a matter of getting the guys into a rotation, or running the occasional stunt. This is not something you want to be typing 12 games into the season, but since both Kirk and Foley saw playing time tonight, perhaps we might get our wish.
I've been praying for the rotation all season!! Again Foley came through with a big sack in the second quarter, with very limited reps!! I also agree cromartie...we're also not stunting very much. It might help Johnson be able to get back to his old form. He had one sack in August and none so far in September!!

However, this game is one to remember!! As for Jarious....well he still isn't our best starter, that's for sure or even close to it....but it still this was only his fifth start and he didn't have a lot of help in the first half.

However, with a game on the line...there is no other quarterback in the league that I would rather have the ball in the last couple of minutes of a game...not Dickenson or Pierce or Ricky Ray or Printers or Burris. He just gets it done on those occasions and he's dangerous.... and doesn't rattle at all with a game on the line.

Perhaps next game we should tell Jackson, when he starts his next game that there are only a few seconds on the clock and it's third and tweny or worse....or that we're already in overtime!! :roll: :thup: :wink:
Last edited by Blitz on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

............REC YDS TD LG
G. SIMON 8 151 1 51

...................CP/AT YDS TD INT
J. JACKSON 17/36 256 3 1

Geroy is back. That is fantastic news for the Lions.

Jarious gets it done.

If Jarious ever relaxes in games, he will be as good as it gets for a QB.
CartWheelFan
All Star

Anyone have an update on his condition, how long he might be out for?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions rally to edge Roughriders

Joseph gets hit

Canadian Press

9/22/2007 10:50:55 PM

REGINA - Geroy Simon capped a last-minute drive with 33-yard TD catch to help the B.C. Lions pull out a 37-34 come-from-behind win over the Saskatchewan Roughriders Saturday night.

B.C. quarterback Jarious Jackson found Simon in the end zone to give the Lions the lead with 34 seconds left. The Lions (8-3-1) hung on to extend their lead atop the West Division.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders (7-5), who have now lost three straight games, started strong, completing their first drive with a one-yard touchdown run by quarterback Kerry Joseph.

Before the Lions put any points on the board, the 'Riders defence stepped up. After a Jackson pass bounced around a few hands, 'Riders linebacker Maurice Lloyd caught it for an interception.

Joseph found Mike Washington in the end zone the next play for the touchdown.

The Lions responded with an 88-yard kickoff return by Ian Smart, leading to a touchdown by Cory Rodgers.

The 'Riders scored again at the beginning of the second quarter, with a 29-yard touchdown pass from Joseph to Andy Fantuz.

B.C. responded later that quarter with a drive full of Joe Smith carries, leading to a touchdown.

Before going into the locker rooms at halftime, Kitwana Jones sacked Jackson and a skirmish ensued on the field. The Lions' Rob Murphy and Saskatchewan's Scott Schultz were flagged for unnecessary roughness, while B.C. receiver Rodgers was disqualified.

In the third quarter, B.C. turned it over on downs on their own 15-yard line. Joseph finished the drive by running for a touchdown.

B.C. finally turned up their passing game in the fourth quarter, with Jackson throwing six times on the drive, once to Jason Clermont in the end zone to cut Saskatchewan's lead to 34-29.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jarious to Geroy

A Touchdown for the Ages
120dB
Legend

now that pic is a great advertisement for the Lions... why can't the Lions use this classic image of Geroy catching that TD as a marketing too to sell more tickets?

That pic should be in ads for Saturday's game !