Simon takes smaller role in stride

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... /Argonauts
Simon takes smaller role in stride

GRANT KERR

From Friday's Globe and Mail

September 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM EDT

SURREY, B.C. — Geroy Simon had his sore back tightly wrapped as he gingerly sprinted downfield during a B.C. Lions practice under the blazing noonday sun yesterday.

The 2006 CFL all-star slotback went deep on one play yesterday, but slowed down when the pass came up short and was batted away by scout squad defender Jerome Dennis.

Simon could have twisted his body in an attempt to make a play on the ball, but elected to save his sore back from unnecessary torque.

It's been a frustrating campaign for Simon, chosen as the most outstanding player in the league last year when the Lions won the Grey Cup.

A new offensive plan, emphasizing the inside running of Joe Smith, and the nagging back problem have slowed Simon to almost a standstill.

In addition, he may miss his first game in five seasons tomorrow against the Toronto Argonauts at B.C. Place if laser treatment doesn't speed up recovery.

Simon's production numbers are down, way down. Last season, when he caught 105 passes for 1,856 yards and 15 touchdowns, he averaged 5.8 receptions a game in the regular season.

He set a personal goal of 20 touchdowns this year, but has only one in 10 games, averaging just 3.4 catches a game, far below expectations.

"There's a lot of questions being asked, but I don't really let it affect me," Simon said yesterday of his fall from all-star status at midseason. "Everybody knows my production is down, but there's reasons for that.

"If it was that I couldn't get it done, I'd be the first to say that. That's just not the case, so I'm not worried about it."

Simon has had only one game where he's caught more than five passes. He grabbed eight for 94 yards on Aug. 17 against the Calgary Stampeders, but didn't finish the game after taking a solid blow in the lower back from a blind-siding defender.

He claims to have taken the high road, by not complaining to the B.C. coaching staff about fewer passes being thrown his way since Steff Kruck and Dan Dorazio became co-offensive co-ordinators after Jacques Chapdelaine left for a position with the Edmonton Eskimos.

"Obviously, the offensive philosophy has changed, plus I've been hurt for a while," Simon said. "There are so many different factors — other guys are playing well — so it's not just one thing.

"Football is a team sport and I've always said I'm a team guy. So whatever it takes for us to win, that's what I'll do."

Injured quarterback Dave Dickenson understands Simon's dilemma and points out the slotback still makes other plays away from the ball with blocks and pass routes that have helped the Lions to a 6-3-1 record.

"The coaches know that I wish I could be doing more," Simon said. "The injury situation is a factor that has caused me to be less productive the last few games.

"Every game, there seems to be something, but I'm not going to sit down and cry about it. I know when healthy and on top of my game, I'm the best there is that's out there."

Paris Jackson and Jason Clermont have been B.C.'s leading receivers. Clermont, who signed a contract extension this week has 48 catches for 563 yards. Jackson has caught 34 passes for 546 yards.

Simon had a pass go off his hands last game against Montreal and it was intercepted by an Alouettes defender during the second half when the Lions desperately needed their best offensive players to perform. B.C. lost 32-14.

"We have tried to get him the ball, but at the same time we're trying different stuff this year," Dickenson said. "And when you don't get involved early in the game, it's human nature not to run your routes as hard."

The Lions have been playing with third-string quarterback Jarious Jackson calling signals, with Dickenson (concussion) and Buck Pierce (shoulder) sidelined. Pierce practised yesterday, while Dickenson threw a few passes in no-contact drills before leaving for acupuncture treatment.

"There's got to be some frustration on his part — the injury set him back," head coach Wally Buono said of Simon. "But as I told the team, we've got eight games left and these are the most important games.

"If you're not having the season expected, that's behind you. Now, we need to have our playmakers make more big plays."
Let us hope Geroy is healing, in all ways that affect his play. We certainly need him playing well as we pursue the Grey Cup repeat. When Geroy is right, he is a devastating weapon for our Offense.

As usual, Wally is calm and cool, at least in his statements. Whatever adversity the Lions have faced this year, and there has been a lot of it, Wally has kept his confidence in his team, and it is paying off. It is not possible to think of another team that could be in first place, having played its third string QB for 4 games, and missing the normally explosive play from the league's MOP of last year.

Of course, this is not the first, or second, or even third time that a QB has blossomed under Wally's umbrella.

Go, Jarious. Go, Geroy. Go, Lions. :rockin: