Heroic Joe Smith!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

He's not Joe 'Who" anymore...he's Joe Smith and he's special!!

He had laid on the turf for 15 mintues with no feelings in his legs the game before! He flies out to Louisiana, helps dig his grandmother's grave, sings hyms with his family, gets behind the wheel of a car, drives 600 km. to Houston, gets there at 3 a.m., catches a red eye flight to get to Calgary in time for the game, and then runs for over 112 yards, including a key 33 yard touchdown that broke the game open. Then we rode his back on the final drive to seal the victory.

There has been a lot of talk about riding the backs of our defense for our undefeated record so far this season. On offence we've rode the back of Joe Smith, who has been just as important in that winning streak.

In the Vancouver Sun today Smith said it was important for him to attend his grandmothers funeral and to be there with his family. He also said it was important for him to return to his other family, our Leos, and be there for the Calgary game!

He may be quiet but he's an impressive football player and an impressive person who is highly regarded by his teamates!

Thanks Joe!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :bc:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

ya
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Condolences to Joe Smith and his family.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:

He is awesome. One wonders how the NFL did not find a place for him. If he carries on the way he has started his career with the Lions, he will be one of the all-time greats.

He does not look that big when you see him at practice. He moves slowly and softly, just the way he talks.

And then you see him explode into a hole and knock guys over and carry guys trying to tackle him.

And then you see him break a long one like he did against Calgary, with speed, deception, and sharp cuts at full speed.

And then I think this guy is something special. :thup:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I knew he was gonna be a big part of a Lions win, I was sorry to hear afterwards about the loss of his Grandmother.
Rammer
Team Captain

A remarkable performance considering his week leading up to the game. My condolences also go out to the Smith family. :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Joe Smith is a TRUE WARRIOR...is there anything this guy can't do? he is unreal and i would also like to pass on my condolences to his entire family in this tough time. And then for him to do what he did on the field against Calgary was amazing.
pigskinpatriot
Starter

Well said Blitz. The guy is a big time gamer .
"The C.F.L. will be dead in three years " My uncle , June, 1990 .
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

My Grandma is currently in the hospital and has been there for quite some time and isn't doing well so I totally know what Joe's going through right now. I just can't believe that he was able to get to Calgary and then do what he did after everything he went through, talk about a team player!

Joe Smith has been a huge addition to the Lions offence since taking over for Antonio Warren. When news broke about us signing him as a free agent last year I was super excited, after seeing what he did in NFL Europe and various games he'd play in College I was impressed with the skill set this guy had, then to have him coming to play ball for the Lions I couldn't have been happier and was just waiting for him to get a chance to play.

I hope he sticks around in BC for the rest of his career. With the way he's going he may end up as the best back the Lions have seen since Willie Fleming. GO JOE!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

It's wonderful to think that you got that kind of athleticism, determination, character, and class all harnessed in one unstoppable heart of a man.

Condolences Joe.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:He's not Joe 'Who" anymore...he's Joe Smith and he's special!!

He had laid on the turf for 15 mintues with no feelings in his legs the game before! He flies out to Louisiana, helps dig his grandmother's grave, sings hyms with his family, gets behind the wheel of a car, drives 600 km. to Houston, gets there at 3 a.m., catches a red eye flight to get to Calgary in time for the game, and then runs for over 112 yards, including a key 33 yard touchdown that broke the game open. Then we rode his back on the final drive to seal the victory.

He may be quiet but he's an impressive football player and an impressive person who is highly regarded by his teamates!

Thanks Joe!! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :bc:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 7a&k=78737

Heroic Joe Smith, Part 2

(Buono) watched Joe Smith pound the ball in for the team's second TD in extra time of an eventual 45-45 draw, knowing the duress under which Smith was playing.

The Texas running back's cousin, a police officer, was shot and killed last week, Buono said. Smith, who picked up 152 all-purpose yards, later flew out from Calgary, rather than return with the team, to attend the funeral.

Quiet guy goes into the booth, and out steps ... Joe Smith, faster than a speeding linebacker, more powerful than a defensive tackle, etc.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A very sad thing that happens far too frequently today!

Yes, Joe Smith is a very good addition to their team and he has played super for them. Too bad this has to put a downer on his season.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Joe must hate playing the Stamps right now. :(
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah.
2012 Season Ticket Holder