jackson a good team guy

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Good post Rammmer. Too many times last season Jackson had a guy open and he either overthrew or underthrew him. Seems to have very nervous feet standing in the pocket.
Excellent point about "standing in the pocket"........and exactly why he will do better with Chapdelaine no longer around.........when you have a mobile QB, the amount of plays "standing in the pocket" should be minimal..........mobile QB's learn their trade and becoming comfortable throwing on the run and buying themselves time with their escapability.........Chapdelaine never gave JJ the opportunity to succeed because his "DD designed drop back" offence is all he would consider.

Hopefully, the new "co-ordinator syndicate" are intelligent enough to utilize a lot more rollout/bootleg to give JJ a chance to be successful.

****Remember Matt Dunigan and how successful he was dropping back (1988 GC).........then remember how dangerous he was rolling out.****
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Good post Rammmer. Too many times last season Jackson had a guy open and he either overthrew or underthrew him. Seems to have very nervous feet standing in the pocket.
Excellent point about "standing in the pocket"........and exactly why he will do better with Chapdelaine no longer around.........when you have a mobile QB, the amount of plays "standing in the pocket" should be minimal..........mobile QB's learn their trade and becoming comfortable throwing on the run and buying themselves time with their escapability.........Chapdelaine never gave JJ the opportunity to succeed because his "DD designed drop back" offence is all he would consider.

Hopefully, the new "co-ordinator syndicate" are intelligent enough to utilize a lot more rollout/bootleg to give JJ a chance to be successful.

****Remember Matt Dunigan and how successful he was dropping back (1988 GC).........then remember how dangerous he was rolling out.****
I knew that was coming when I read tehLionKing's summation yesterday....lol

I would not count on JJ being anymore productive rolling out, unless you count his running yards and not his completion percentage. When two QB's are getting in the 70% range, and one is at 50%, there is something wrong with the mechanics. I do watch JJ in practice where things are more relaxed without bullets and while he still doesn't compare to DD on accuracy, he still over throws medium routes and doesn't have the touch for the underneath stuff. One thing that I am remind of while discussing JJ, is that some of his problems are that he throws the ball on the line to the medium routes, which gives the LB's sitting in areas able to knock it down or go for an INT (albeit a difficult catch with the velocity that it is traveling at).

He is 30 years old now, and IMHO, it is time for the Lions to find the next CP/BP and groom him for this season giving us real options for 08.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

AS an after thought on JC not moving from the pocket plays.....do you think that it may have to do with his not bothering to use a playbook in practice, and that anymore plays may have been too many for him to carry on with that status of memory skill?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:AS an after thought on JC not moving from the pocket plays.....do you think that it may have to do with his not bothering to use a playbook in practice, and that anymore plays may have been too many for him to carry on with that status of memory skill?
IMHO, it has a lot more to do with stubborness/arrogance and the belief that his offensive philosophy was the ONLY chance at being successful.........It's why I call him a "square peg in a round hole" kind of guy. Rather than develop plays that suit a mobile QB, he tries to make the mobile QB a drop back passer.

With regards to JJ's accuracy.........as I've stated before, mobile QB's learn/develop their skills based on their natural abilities.......thus a mobile QB will be more comfortable and more accurate throwing on the run, as that is what he has done/been successful with, most of his career.......when the guy is 28/29/30 years old and you force him to throw exclusively from a drop back position........can you really expect him to be as comfortable/succesful/accurate as a QB that has done it his entire career.

I'll say it again, the guy wasn't successful at Notre Dame because he had no skills.........he was successful because the gameplan allowed him to be successful. Too bad Chapdelaine never figured that out.
Lloyd