Thelwell to sign with Stampeders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

While the free agency period in the Canadian Footlball League does not begin until Thursday at midnight, the B.C. Lions had given the Stampeders permission to talk to the six-year CFL veteran. The deal is expected to be announced Thursday.
Why would we give Calgary early permission?

And since when was Thelwell's nickname 'Automatic'?
hutch
Champion

I thought he wanted to be back in Ontario?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Money talks !
maddeep73
Champion

That sucks. You never want to give up Canadian talent to a division rival.
Could this just be another case of a classy organization giving a guy his freedom?
Keepin' it real
David
Team Captain

hutch wrote:I thought he wanted to be back in Ontario?
I think we tend to over-emphasize a player's desire to play in his home city/province. I was never convinced that Ryan would consider only Toronto or Hamilton to the exclusion of the other 5 teams.

Just look at the number of current Vancouver-bred CFLers who have never signed a contract with the Lions: Kevin Eiben, Brian Chiu, Davis Sanchez, Doug Brown - the list goes on. I'm sure all would secretly admit to a desire to play in front of family and friends, but their FA contract was either never matched/beaten by the Lions or are just simply content in their current situation.

In the limited earnings window of professional football (and the CFL specifically), players are, for the most part, out for the best deal possible. Besides which, they have the better part of 6 months to spend at home if they so desire.

Perhaps Jason Clermont will be the notable exception. :sigh:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm happy to hear that Thelwell will be playing again next year but not so pleased that it will be Calgary. The salary of $115,000 is surprising but Thelwell still has at least a couple of good seasons ahead of him.

The Leos have decided to go younger than with a veteran at wide out next year. Money was also likely a factor in the Leos choosing not to resign Thelwell. Ryan has been my favorite offensive Leos for the past number of seasons although Murphy took top spot for me early this season. I've always liked Ryan Thelwell's personality, his silky smooth moves, his excellent YAK yards. Classy guy who really helped our team and gave us all kinds of options.. being a Canadian. I only wish him well...except when he plays against us!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:I think we tend to over-emphasize a player's desire to play in his home city/province.DH 8)
I agree David... Thelwell spent 6 years of his life here... met and married a Vancouver girl and now considers Vancouver his home.

From that point... I'm glad for him that he is only a short flight from the West Coast.

Still surprised to learn the Stamps were the only team to throw a significant offer at a well-established non-import receiver and it only took a year and an option to do it. Have to say I'm a little bit concerned with what's going on in Hamilton.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

All the best to Ryan. He represented this organization with class and talent. He'll be missed.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:That sucks. You never want to give up Canadian talent to a division rival.
Perhaps it's the organization's way of wanting to thank Thelwell for his excellent service to the team and community.

Could this just be another case of a classy organization giving a guy his freedom?
David
Team Captain

It's hard not to cheer for Ryan, regardless of which jersey colour he's wearing next season. Most of us watched a man battle some demons earlier in his career, persevere, only to emerge as one of our most dependable receivers. Moreover, he made us proud off the field. How many players would continue to make charity appearances on behalf of a club that openly stated that they were going in a different direction? I guessing not many.

Thank you Ryan for 6 memorable seasons, and for representing our football club with class and dignity. :thup:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

He will be missed.

Best of luck #3!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Losing Ryan Thelwell after winning the Grey Cup in 2006 reminds me of another good receiver the Lions lost after winning the 2000 Grey Cup, although they did re-sign him around the halfway point of the 2001 season: Jimmy Oliver.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:It's hard not to cheer for Ryan, regardless of which jersey colour he's wearing next season. Most of us watched a man battle some demons earlier in his career, persevere, only to emerge as one of our most dependable receivers. Moreover, he made us proud off the field. How many players would continue to make charity appearances on behalf of a club that openly stated that they were going in a different direction? I guessing not many.

Thank you Ryan for 6 memorable seasons, and for representing our football club with class and dignity. :thup:

DH 8)
Agreed that Ryan Thelwell does more than his fair share of promoting the CFL and football in the community. It doesn't surprise me that players like him continue to do community work despite moving to other teams (i.e. Daved Benefield).

I have always wondered why even clinicians refer to people suffering depression as people "battling demons". I find it odd that it is viewed that way rather than as a medical condition or chemical imbalance. I guess it is a convention and use of the term that is not uncommon when even profesionals refer to people suffering from a range of things including alcoholism and drugs.

The Ryan Thelwell issue with depression arose as he missed a practice and had to admit to the coaches why he missed. Whether it is battling demons or dealing with medical/health issues, the more people in prominent places speak out, the easier it is for the general community to understand what those with these issues face in their day to day lives and perhaps themselves feel more comfortable seeking out help for themselves.

The story below sounds very positive for Ryan as he apparently doesn't need medication to deal with the problem as it arises. That is great.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 8-sun.html
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
David wrote:It's hard not to cheer for Ryan, regardless of which jersey colour he's wearing next season. Most of us watched a man battle some demons earlier in his career, persevere, only to emerge as one of our most dependable receivers. Moreover, he made us proud off the field. How many players would continue to make charity appearances on behalf of a club that openly stated that they were going in a different direction? I guessing not many.

DH 8)
I have always wondered why even clinicians refer to people suffering depression as people "battling demons". I find it odd that it is viewed that way rather than as a medical condition or chemical imbalance. I guess it is a convention and use of the term that is not uncommon when even profesionals refer to people suffering from a range of things including alcoholism and drugs.

The Ryan Thelwell issue with depression arose as he missed a practice and had to admit to the coaches why he missed. Whether it is battling demons or dealing with medical/health issues, the more people in prominent places speak out, the easier it is for the general community to understand what those with these issues face in their day to day lives and perhaps themselves feel more comfortable seeking out help for themselves.

The story below sounds very positive for Ryan as he apparently doesn't need medication to deal with the problem as it arises. That is great.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 8-sun.html
T V, I used the euphemism "battling demons" as I didn't see the need in this thread to rehash Ryan's medical problems, something about which most of us were already well aware. But I was also referring to his seeming lack of confidence early on which lead to a case of the 'dropsies,' only to have him morph into a sure-handed, dependable, shifty, and deceptively quick wide-out.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar