VC product signs with USC

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

CB123
Legend

Im so excited, a Vancouver kid just signed a LOI with USC!

Trey Henderson was all dressed for his red-letter day.

When Vancouver College's 6-foot-4, 270-pound defensive lineman pulled on a red Southern Cal Trojans jersey adorned with Junior Seau's No. 55, the magnitude of the moment Wednesday afternoon hit everyone square in the chops.

"The biggest one in B.C.?" asked VC head coach Todd Bernett of the historical significance of Henderson officially signing with the powerhouse USC Trojans.

"I think this might be the biggest [football signing] in Canadian high school history."

Henderson's official declaration came on the same day that Tyson Pencer, a 6-foot-6, 240 pound defensive lineman with North Delta's Sands Scorpions, officially signed with USC's Pac 10 rivals, the Washington State Cougars. Pencer was the subject of a mid-November story in The Province after committing verbally to WSU.

Since 2002, the Trojans -- U.S. college football's reigning dynasty program -- have won five straight Pac 10 titles, played in five BCS bowls, won two national championships and fashioned a 58-6 record. They have produced 430 NFL draft picks over their history. Already, they are a consensus pick to open the 2007 season in September ranked No. 1.

"A lot of people are saying ... 'You're not going to play down there because of all that talent,'" smiled Henderson, who helped lead the Irish to three straight Subway Bowl Triple A championship finals. "But I am competitive and I will go down there and be the best I can. I am not going to shy away from the big scene. I will embrace it."

Bernett marvels that Henderson sacrificed no speed or quickness as he continued to grow and put muscle on his substantial frame.

"I remember thinking in ninth grade that there was no way he was going to be able to keep playing tight end and fullback for us," smiled Bernett of the offensive positions Henderson played throughout his senior year.

"I figured he'd be an offensive lineman. But he has kept all of his speed and quickness. Who knows, he might wind up being a defensive end."

Pencer, who was over the moon in November when the Cougars offered him a scholarship, says he's still pinching himself thinking about his future.

"As a little kid this has always been my goal," he said. "I still don't know if its even sunk in yet that I [will be] playing NCAA in the Pac 10. I am feeling as good today as the day I was offered."

Henderson and Pencer chatted throughout the signing ceremony.

"All we could talk about was how happy we both were to be here," said Pencer.

"There are only seven of us (NCAA Div. 1-A) signing today in all of Canada. What could be better?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda a bold move that he was wearing #55... That number cant be claimed, it has to be assigned by the coach every season. Its usually assigned to a Linebacker/anchor of the defense.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=8&c=1&nid=2075420

Scout.com ranked Henderson 43rd in his position "nationally". He is a TE, but also plays DT I think.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!