Past BC Lions Magazines and Programs

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

After seeing this picture on the recent Dress Your Pet contest thread, I'd like to bring up a topic regarding collectibles that I don't think has been discussed before.

Do any of you have a large collection of past BC Lions magazines and game day programs? Those magazines must contain several great, historic pictures of the players, Empire Stadium, actions shots, and the cheerleading squads.

For those of you who have a large collection of such magazines and programs, would you be willing to scan any interesting articles and pictures and post them on this thread?

Let's use this thread to post any good historical articles and pictures that we can find from past Lions magazines and programs.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

i have ones from 97 on wards, at least one a year until 2000 when I have 4 or 5 and then '05 and '06 I have all.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Where I'm working now I just found one with the Pirates on the cover, it's in great shape. I'll have a look at it when the client leaves the house. 8)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I've got boxes of them going back to the mid 60's.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I've got boxes of them going back to the mid 60's.
So then LK, would you care to scan any interesting pics or articles from your huge stash of programs?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

See what I can do. No promises though
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Although not a Lions magazine per se, I'm sure this souvenir program pertaining to one of the Lions most exciting games ever is highly coveted among Lions fans.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Although not a Lions magazine per se, I'm sure this souvenir program pertaining to one of the Lions most exciting games ever is highly coveted among Lions fans.
Still have my copy, cover autographed by Vic Stevenson (but wearing off after 12 years, as a sharpie on a glossy surface is bound to do).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The 1963 Grey Cup program of the first GC Game the Lions played in.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

When there are factual errors on game day magazines, I wonder if the mistake was made by the person being interviewed on by the author of the article.

On page 10 of the July 14, 2006 game day guide, there is an article on Dave Ritchie written by Jamie Cartmell. There contains the following line quoting Ritchie:

"I had Danny Barrett as a quarterback here in Vancouver in 1994," remembers Ritchie of Saskatchewan's current head man.

I really wonder if Ritchie said that or it was Cartmell misquoting him. Ritchie may be aging, but I'm sure the 1994 championship season is extremely memorable for him, and he must have known that Danny Barrett had already been traded away and replaced by Kent Austin as the Lions' starting QB that year.