Chris Wilson Signs with Redskins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Wow. Never saw this coming. Hope he does well! :yes:

Wilson article
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That came out of the blue. Perhaps Buono can convinced MacKay-Loescher to stay now that there is a vacancy on the defensive line.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Best of luck to CW. This signing was sure a surprise..... but I can see him returning to the Leo's in the near future. He didn't dominate as a D-end. Maybe the Skins are planning to try him out at linebacker as he is not your prototypical NFL end.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Let's not forget that Matt Kirk played DE for awhile too.

This may give him the opportunity he needs to showcase his talent and get into the starting rotation.

Could be a real boon to have 2 CDN DE starters ... Yeah I know - like we need more CDN starters - but it never hurts.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich wrote in today's Province about the Redskins being interested in Wilson but there was no mentioned of dicussions being that far along.

Wilson was playing his best football as a Lion during the stretch run. At 6-4, 240 he will either have to bulk up more or show he can play LB down south and, of course, make an impact on special teams.

He does have good athleticism which Buono/Ritchie were always high on and showed patience in his development.

Best of luck to him.

In case things don't work out, Chris better hope the Lions don't find a too good of a replacement given he will be lining up along side three league all-stars who will be getting plenty of attention.
It's an opportunity for a newcomer or someone like Kirk to thrive.

Or what's Mawuko Tugbenyoh doing these days? :lol:
OV - 54:40
Champion

LFITQ wrote:Let's not forget that Matt Kirk played DE for awhile too.

This may give him the opportunity he needs to showcase his talent and get into the starting rotation.

Could be a real boon to have 2 CDN DE starters ... Yeah I know - like we need more CDN starters - but it never hurts.
Rick Foley was a CIS all-star DE and top pass rusher there; McKay-Loescher has shown he can play in the CFL; i doubt Wally would start 2 NI types at DE; more likely IMO the job will be handed to a new import player, but, you never know, there may be real competition for the spot- i was surprised that Glatt got to start at MLB with J Johnson around and at least 7 other NIs able to start.
Tighthead
Legend

I would be surprised if Wilson makes it. I think he has to move to LB, and he would probably be best suited to OLB in a 3-4 as an edge rusher.

I thought he improved a fair bit last season, especially against the run, but I also think he is replaceable.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Keep in mind the expanded rosters in the NFL-- athletic defensive "tweeners" like Wilson can always carve out a niche as special team players on KO, KO Return, etc.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I would be surprised if Wilson makes it. I think he has to move to LB, and he would probably be best suited to OLB in a 3-4 as an edge rusher.

I thought he improved a fair bit last season, especially against the run, but I also think he is replaceable.
He often tackled to high to record trhe sack that his speed allowed for him to do, but like most of the Lions in the second half of the season, he didn't miss many opportunities. He was just coming into the form that we had been waiting for, and now he has signed in the NFL. I would guess that he won't be sticking, but if he does it will be as a backup and ST player. His weight will determine where he will be expected to play, as right now he is a tweener for the NFL cookie cutter position. Remember how much weight one of our better LB's put on when he went to SF, when he came back after a couple of season's he was a DE. I am not all that fond of returning players from the NFL, as most come back and don't produce to the level that they left us in.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OV - 54:40
Champion

Lionut wrote:Keep in mind the expanded rosters in the NFL-- athletic defensive "tweeners" like Wilson can always carve out a niche as special team players on KO, KO Return, etc.

Yes - some other examples in the past -
Benefield played for the 49ers for a year - a CFL rush end who was a linebacker but also more a special teams guy down there; Fred Perry made an NFL roster for a bit after having a great year on the Argos D - another quick CFL rush end type.
So Wilson could stick, but IMO his chances are better if he has a good "in" there via the scout or coach who brought him in for TC or thru his agent maybe. Ex-CFLers are in tough from the get-go often though with typical NFL thinkers who will pre-rate them low on the totem pole / depth chart.
David
Team Captain

The lack of a signing bonus would be a concern too.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:That came out of the blue. Perhaps Buono can convinced MacKay-Loescher to stay now that there is a vacancy on the defensive line.
I've heard that for family reasons, MacKay-Loescher would prefer to play for the Argos or Ticats.

Either way, if the Lions do choose to replace Wilson with an NI, they have depth with Kirk and Foley.
Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:That came out of the blue. Perhaps Buono can convinced MacKay-Loescher to stay now that there is a vacancy on the defensive line.
I've heard that for family reasons, MacKay-Loescher would prefer to play for the Argos or Ticats.

Either way, if the Lions do choose to replace Wilson with an NI, they have depth with Kirk and Foley.
In order for one or the other to become the starter, one or the other would have to be at a capable starting level in order to not lose a step should one or the other go down to injury during the game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LION81

I didn't see this coming at all! Good luck Cris!
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Shocker. I want Foley to start, because it's a good move for our future.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion