New TV deal announced

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Wow... everything on TSN, including the Grey Cup game.

Not sure if this is good for the overall ratings but I do like the idea of Cuthbert doing Grey Cup games again :thup:

Interesting to see the website was included too.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=189132&hubname=
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Wow. I think overall this will be a good thing. So does this mean no more walby's Warriors? :wink: I was initially concerned about the Grey Cup Classics broadcasts during GC week, but this clip from the article seems to address that:
TSN and RDS also confirmed they will provide live and on-demand coverage of CFL games across numerous digital platforms. Complete details will be announced at a later date. The deal also provides ESPN Classic with greater access to the CFL archives, allowing for expanded coverage of classic CFL match-ups, including legendary playoff games and Grey Cups.
I think this will go a long way towards generating some long term financial success for the league. :thup:
Real women wear orange!!
jim604
All Star

I have enjoyed TSN's productions of CFL football... Why not showcase the game on the network that presents it the best.

Hopefully in the next comming seasons we will see even more improvements. Perhaps "sky-cam" for Friday Night Football (the camera that flys on a cable giving a birds eye view)
Wally!
Starter

This is good for the CFL. While the viewer numbers for the GC may not be as big given TSN isn't available on aerial broadcast, the overall season product delivered will be far superior.

Bye Bye Bluto err Walby ...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Wow...
:shock: I think you gotta try new things. The CFL on CBC has been how I got my feet wet on CFL-ball but I look forward to this new direction.
the rouge reveller

wow, what a great day for this league.

no more stuttering. no more Blue Bomber cheerleading. no more color guys whose girth takes up the size of an entire broadcasting booth. in short, no more Walby!

good riddance to that overtly biased fat-ass.
b_raunchy

HAHAHAHAHA...CBC is turning into a joke. First the Olympics, now the CFL, and next year the NHL will be taketh away.

Oh what will be left for our poor old public broadcaster? Comedy sketches that look like they are being filmed at a Cape Breton community centre, 1950 era Disney Sunday night cartoons, and endless newscasts centred on promoting the Liberals/NDP. HA...they are done. No one will even turn their remote down to Channel 3 anymore.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No more Steve Armitage :rockin: :rockin: Now if TSN can take over Hockey Night in Canada and get rid of Don Cherry and Bob Cole............
randymeeks
Legend

Losing Hockey Night In Canada would be a virtual death blow to CBC.
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
BEEECEEE
All Star

randymeeks wrote:Losing Hockey Night In Canada would be a virtual death blow to CBC.
Don't worry they still have curling............................... oh wait.
Formely sfu_guy
Blue Fan

CFL, TSN/RDS Partner In Landmark 5-Year, Multi-Platform Deal

Toronto, ON - (December 20, 2006) ? The Canadian Football League (CFL) is pleased to announce that a landmark five-year deal (plus a one-year option) has been completed with TSN/RDS that will allow fans to see all regular-season games, post-season games and the Grey Cup through a multi-platform package.

The new agreement begins in 2008 following the conclusion of the current five-year contract. Consistent with CFL policy, financial terms will not be revealed.

CFL Commissioner Tom Wright lauded the new partnership as the way of the future for sports fans.

?This is a landmark deal for our League, and it provides a very strong foundation for us to deliver our players and our game to our fans,? Wright commented. ?With TSN /RDS as our partner, the CFL will benefit from industry-leading television production and new, multi-platform digital distribution of CFL content through CFL.ca, LCF.ca and other emerging technology platforms. This agreement will also deliver direct sponsorship support for our member Clubs. Our fans will be able to experience the excitement of our great game in a multitude of new and exciting ways.

?The CFL and TSN/RDS have forged a very strong relationship over the course of the last 20 years. The CFL is continuing to experience very strong growth and this renewed partnership with TSN/RDS will further build our brands, our businesses and the overall strength of our league.?

Under the agreement, TSN and RDS will acquire annual broadcast rights for the CFL's entire 77-game package, comprised of 72 regular-season games, four divisional playoff matches and the Grey Cup. In addition, TSN/RDS will secure digital rights for these games, including broadband, mobile, video-on-demand and interactive TV and exclusive rights to host content and sell advertising on CFL.ca and LCF.ca.

For the first time ever, the playoffs and Grey Cup will be a TSN/RDS production with TSN/RDS crew and commentators working all the games. TSN and RDS will provide live and on-demand coverage of CFL games across numerous digital platforms. TSN/RDS and the CFL will provide complete details at a later date.

"This is a groundbreaking deal of enormous magnitude for TSN. The CFL has recognized TSN as a fitting home for all its games, and for the first time in history, the coveted Grey Cup will be produced and televised on TSN," said TSN President Phil King. ?It is our intention to air every single CFL game on TSN, TSN HD and TSN Broadband. The CFL is a valued partner of ours and we look forward to growing the sport and brand to an even higher level and reaching new audiences with expanded coverage on multiple platforms."

?This new agreement allows RDS to extend its existing exclusive French-language coverage of the CFL while simultaneously providing a brand new component for our viewers with digital media initiatives. We will be able to deliver CFL games to Francophones in Canada in more ways than ever before,? said Gerry Frappier, President, Le R?seau des sports.?

Commenting on the scope of the new deal, Rick Brace, President, CTV Inc. said: ?For Canada, this deal represents a mammoth sea change in how major rights-holders regard specialty television in English Canada. This is akin to the Super Bowl moving to ESPN and is a tremendous credit to the teams at TSN, RDS and our CFL partners."

The new deal provides further evidence of the CFL?s expanding growth, in particular how it relates to 2002 when the CFL struck its existing deal with TSN/RDS. The CFL had an average attendance in 2006 of 28,935 compared to 24,793 in 2002, representing an increase of 17%. Average League attendance has increased every year since 2002, exceeding 2,000,000 fans each season over this period.

This past season, the CFL had its second-highest average television viewership ever on TSN with a figure of 356,000, following a record year in 2005 of 395,000. Corporate sponsorship investment in the CFL has been equally strong, growing more than threefold since 2002.

- 30 -

About the Canadian Football League
Building on a strong past toward a stronger future, the Canadian Football League (CFL) celebrates the best of Canada 's game with fans across the nation. The 95th Grey Cup will be played in Toronto, ON, on November 25, 2007. For additional information, visit http://www.cfl.ca.
Rick James
Legend

Does TSN broadcast all 72 games next season? The article mentioned a minimum of 50, but that's all.

-In 2007, TSN will broadcast a minimum of 50 regular-season CFL games, while RDS will televise all 18 Montreal Alouettes games, the divisional playoffs and the Grey Cup. Next season marks the final year under TSN's and RDS's current deal with the League.

Would it impact video replay? I know that the CFL was piggy backing on TSN for most of the camera angles.

I hope we don't just miss out on the games that were on CBC before.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am most looking forward to the possibility of expanded cfl classics on espn classic. Looking to see Mervin at his best, along with Doug Flutie of course, and many others.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
LFITQ
Team Captain

I'm with Rick James. While I understand the move and perhaps the poor viewer response to CBC, I am worried that this will actually mean LESS games on TV.

Does this also spell the end of the triple headers we had last season? I absolutely loved those days. Two games on TSN one on CBC.

With only TSN getting the rights, will it mean that they won't be able to move their cameras and gear to each stadium as quickly, and as such less games on the tube? How does that affect instant replay?

While I agree that CBC had gotten too big for its britches, there were certain aspects I did like. And despite Walby's homerism, I did enjoy his COLOUR that he brought to the game. He was enthusiastic. You mean to tell me, those of you who dislike Walby, you actually are looking forward to more Rod Black and Leif Patterson? Gimme a break! EVERYTHING the CBC had was better than those two. I've seen fishing shows that were more exciting than listening to those two from CTV/TSN.

Does this also mean we lose out Daved Benefield? I thought some of his pieces were quite interesting. I also enjoyed Greg Frers commentary on the panel. While I won't be sorry to lose Darren Flutie as colour (good receiver, poor broadcaster) and I'm greatful for getting rid of poor question asking Steve Armitage, I do like to have a little variety thrown into the mix.

TSN does deserve kudos, they've really been a positive partner for the CFL, and I will not take that away from them, in fact I will toast it. However, with this latest deal I think they will have to really step up to the plate. Remember we haven't always praised them undeniably - especially when their programmming department books other events right before a football game causing us to miss the first portions of the game. At least with CBC we never had that problem.

So to me there are some positives and some negatives, I will be watching and judging at the end of the season (2008) to see the impact.

One other question that just popped into my head, with CBC knowing they are out of it for 2008, how will this impact their broadcasts for 2007? Will they wind it down and start to give a barebones production? This could be intriguing this year.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??