Rob Murphy likely going to NFL ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:Right now I wish we could find a way to restructure Dickenson's contract. At over $400,000 his salary is getting close to 10% of the entire amount the team can spend on players!
lol, maybe DD should kick into the "Rob Murphy Fund." Afterall, it's his ass being protected! :lol:

And I don't think a trade of Bobby Singh would go down too well with Mr. Murphy. From listening to his interview Friday on the Rick Ball Show, he and the "Heavyset Hindu" as he calls him, are pretty tight.

He also talks quite often to Angus.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheZeppo
Starter

David wrote:
And I don't think a trade of Bobby Singh would go down too well with Mr. Murphy. From listening to his interview Friday on the Rick Ball Show, he and the "Heavyset Hindu" as he calls him, are pretty tight.

DH 8)

Heavyset Hindu?? :shock:

I wonder what kinds of names Murphy calls his enemies? :wink: [/i]
David
Team Captain

Oh no, it was all in fun TheZeppo. Rob sounds like a real nice guy, was joking around a lot with Ball - just a fun loving guy (off the field! :lol:).

What struck me about the interview as well is what a great team guy he is.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wonder whether the 3 offers he received, does any of them have a NHL team ?
rb
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Sherko is coming into his own at guard and he's young! Obviously, it's a good thing to have Canadian line depth but Bobby Singh has been more of a backup offensive lineman than a stater for a while now and he's earning very good money by CFL standards for that role. I also think Sherko is the better guard now. However good Canadian lineman are very diffiult to come by these days or I'd be recommending we trade Singh and his big contract! Right now it's wise to hang on to both and sign Murphy.

We'll only get Murphy for a season but the following season we'd have the $140,000 to use. Right now I wish we could find a way to restructure Dickenson's contract. At over $400,000 his salary is getting close to 10% of the entire amount the team can spend on players!
Murphy is definitely worth the money, if Wally's got the room to spend it.

Can't really restructure DD's contract as this is the option year and there's little reason to foresee an extension with Pierce waiting in the wings.
Rammer
Team Captain

SN pacific last night was suggesting that the talks with Murphy will go on today, with Murphy looking for $200K for a one year contract (which as we know will also include a club option for an additional season). Seems Murphy only wnats to play for one more season according to Taylor, but I am hoping that he has theat mixed up with Murphy wnating to look at this one year at a time.....

If the $200K is the asking price, and $140K is the preceived market value, the Lions may want to rethink this, as if one year is all that Murphy is going to play, the Lions may well be better off moving Jiminez over to the ST and bring in another RT to fight it out with Farrow.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

If Murphy is looking at $200K then I would say let him retire. Yes he was good, but I am certainly we could get someone that would suffice for a lot less. Him being an "I" doesn't help his case any.

Especially if he does only want to play for one year. That one year desire to play is also another negative against paying him big bucks. You outlay alot of cash and then next season you are right back to square one. Better to outlay a bit of cash and help to develop a player. Let's face it, even Murphy wasn't an overnight success, he had a few years of seasoning before he came to the Lions.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

I am not sure where this $200,000 figure comes from, but that simply will not happen, and honestly I would be shocked if Murph56 was using that as a starting point.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Blitz
Team Captain

Orange Shoes wrote:
am not sure where this $200,000 figure comes from, but that simply will not happen, and honestly I would be shocked if Murph56 was using that as a starting point.
So would I!! Murphy said he didn't expect to be paid the salary of the league's highest paid offfensive lineman but he expected to be close. The figure I understood was somewherre over $140,000 and under $150,000. I have no idea where this $200,000 amount came from?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
maddeep73 wrote:I like our chances of getting him back.

Today in a Province article Murphy basically said he still has all the leverage to get the type of money he wants. I'm not so sure. With the SMS in affect he may have to settle for a triple rather than a home run.

The only thing that concerns me is his determination to sign for only one year. This does make it more likely for him to stick it out a year in Sasky or Hamilton or wherever to get get the big bucks short term.
Murphy has all the cards because he doesn't need the CFL........his real estate business pays him well enough that he can walk away from football, no problem. The SMS or team salary structure is of no concern to him........he's calculated what it is worth for him to return to the CFL and if the Lions aren't willing to hit his number.........he'll stay in Florida. That's called having all the cards.
I think he means if he wants to play football, and yes he wants to play football. In that regard he has less leverage. He is not the only player out there with a job, many in the league could survive quite well without the next year in hand.

Anyways, I just want to see him back. I want to have Dave's back. Back in black.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: I'm feeling your back Rick.....
I bet tim hardaway is no friend of yours. 8)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:SN pacific last night was suggesting that the talks with Murphy will go on today, with Murphy looking for $200K for a one year contract
I think tsn should counter that offer with $220,000.... $250,000 anyone? vancouver sun?... going once...
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:
Did anyone catch Sulu"s comedy sketch mocking Hardaway? You have to hear it in order to get the full Sulu style delivery, hilarious and very pointed.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Off topic, even BETTER, watch the roast which will come up just under it... :lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Lionheart wrote:
Did anyone catch Sulu"s comedy sketch mocking Hardaway? You have to hear it in order to get the full Sulu style delivery, hilarious and very pointed.
Here is the youtube clip of that spoof.