Rob Murphy likely going to NFL ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maddeep73
Champion

The only thing that concerns me is his determination to sign for only one year. This does make it more likely for him to stick it out a year in Sasky or Hamilton or wherever to get get the big bucks short term.

Just heard Murphy with Rick Ball. Because he was in his option year, only the Lions can sign him. So, even less cards in Murphy's hand than I thought. If he wants to play, it's for us.
Keepin' it real
Rammer
Team Captain

maddeep73 wrote:

The only thing that concerns me is his determination to sign for only one year. This does make it more likely for him to stick it out a year in Sasky or Hamilton or wherever to get get the big bucks short term.

Just heard Murphy with Rick Ball. Because he was in his option year, only the Lions can sign him. So, even less cards in Murphy's hand than I thought. If he wants to play, it's for us.
It is with us, unless the Lions trade his rights away. With that said, the Lions do have to compete with the mans pride, as he can make as much as a CFL salaary in his off season job if he chooses to do so. So will the Lions hold his option year, he isn't going to return unless the $ is right.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

WEll Murphy has cleared teh first hurdle for the Lions, he has decided to turn his back on the NFL after thre offers came in. Reasoning that the extended time that the NFL would require of his time (3 months), was not as lucrative as selling commercial real estate for that time frame.
I think this is fantastic news!!! Murphy definitely wants to play for our Leos next year, if the numbers are right. Even though he is not asking to be paid as the highest offensive lineman in the league (even though he was the CFL's best offensive lineman last season) but he wants to be close.

I think Wally should sign him! At a little over $140,000 he's worth it! He plays the key offensive lineman position, protecting the blind side of Dickenson and he never gave up a sack last season, on top of changing the whole demeanor of the offensive line. Other offensive lineman also said he helped them a lot, in terms of their own game.

Wally can get this done and he probably wasn't going to sign Clermont anyway...so I don't buy into the idea that the Leos won't be able to sign Clermont if they sign Murphy. If that was the case, they would have signed Clermont this past week, when it looked like Murphy was going to the NFL.

I realize I'm probably biased because Murphy blew me away as an offensive lineman by Game 3 this season and he became my favorite Leo.

However, that extra time he buys Dickenson, the assurance that Dickenson has that his blind side is protected, and Dickenson not being forced to quickly glance at the left outside when he is throwing a pass makes a huge difference to the passing game.

All you have to do is go back to the Western Final two seasons ago, when Mo Elonowibi and Sherko played left tackle and Joe Montford lived in our backfield. When Montford wasn't sacking Dickenson he was giving Dickenson jumpy feet.. and forcing Dickenson to throw early and short!! Go back to last season...when Murphy kicked Montford's ass big time....and Dickenson was able to feel comfortable back there in the pocket.

That 'comfort' and what it means to Dickenson and the offence is worth Murphy's price!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

maddeep73 wrote:I like our chances of getting him back.

Today in a Province article Murphy basically said he still has all the leverage to get the type of money he wants. I'm not so sure. With the SMS in affect he may have to settle for a triple rather than a home run.

Murphy has all the cards because he doesn't need the CFL........his real estate business pays him well enough that he can walk away from football, no problem. The SMS or team salary structure is of no concern to him........he's calculated what it is worth for him to return to the CFL and if the Lions aren't willing to hit his number.........he'll stay in Florida. That's called having all the cards.

I just had a brilliant idea !!

David Braley needs to add one more business to his stable of 114 businesses.

Wait for it..........

Clermont and Murphy Real Estate......serving all your real estate needs in the Greater Vancouver area.

Sounds like a plan to me !!!!!!!

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Lloyd
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I've read that Murphy is looking for Bobby Singh type money, 125K, I believe................
Blitz
Team Captain

I've read that Murphy is looking for Bobby Singh type money, 125K, I believe................
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm really keeping my :cr: that we can come to an agreement. We need that guy !
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Joe Montford was making $250k at one time. Unfortunately, it is premier Canadian O-linemen that make the most money in the CFL. The theory was that American OL were a luxury and could be easily replaced as there were so many available and so few spots for them to play here. So they were generally low paid. I think that Murphy and Jiminez have broken the mould here and Wally should break his piggy bank... :roar:
There is only so much piggy bank breaking you can do in an SMS world. While we may not be paying out large coin on the Murphy and Jimenez contracts currently, we are paying for it in other NI starting talent. If we pay Murphy NI OL top coin, then we have to scale back elsewhere. Thakfully the signing bonus window was taken advantage of and we may still have wiggle room to the $4.05M cap.
Entertainment value = an all time low
nelson95
Legend

Trade Clearmonts salary and pay this guy!!
Just look at the line 2006 vs 2005 and Dickinsons season

Play of the year 2006-Murphy belting that riders lineman who had lost his helmet-penalty and all-Dirty 30 approved!

If there is a player who is so hated by opponents that he wins the leagues best O-linemen but doesn't get voted by the players to their all-star team, you shoukd sign him!!
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Rick James
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Tighthead
Legend

Singh is overpaid. Good not great is a purrfect description, and he is oft injured. Furthermore, tackles are harder to find than guards.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I would say Murphy is probably comparable in talent and value to Brent Johnson, say $150k per? :yes:
I would think BJ's new extension pushes him closer to $200,000 and he deserves every penny given what he has done the last 2 years. That 2006 season was basically unchartered waters for a Canadian DE.
Hopefully a chunk of the raise was given to him up front before the SMS kicked in.

Sherko is heading into his option year and Wally will have an interesting decision ahead given he more than proved last year he is ready to be a full-time starter (at guard) and another team would quickly snap him up as a FA given he is only 26 and his best years are still ahead.
Blitz
Team Captain

got your back Blitz. When he is playing is is good, not great and we have Sherko that could replace him.

Sherko is coming into his own at guard and he's young! Obviously, it's a good thing to have Canadian line depth but Bobby Singh has been more of a backup offensive lineman than a stater for a while now and he's earning very good money by CFL standards for that role. I also think Sherko is the better guard now. However good Canadian lineman are very diffiult to come by these days or I'd be recommending we trade Singh and his big contract! Right now it's wise to hang on to both and sign Murphy.

We'll only get Murphy for a season but the following season we'd have the $140,000 to use. Right now I wish we could find a way to restructure Dickenson's contract. At over $400,000 his salary is getting close to 10% of the entire amount the team can spend on players!