Who takes 3rd in the West?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Who will step up and win 1 game down the stretch and take 3rd.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Eskimoes
28%
Riders
72%

Total votes: 29
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

Who takes 3rd? If the Esks can knock off TO today and then win/lose the same number of games as the Riders in the next 2 weeks that sets up a winner take all game in Week 20 in Commonwealth. The Esks would come in one win behind the riders but already own the tie breaker. So in that scenario an Esks win puts them in and sends the Riders home.

And Rider fans were mad they were pissing away a home play-off game, hell they might be pissing away a play-off game period.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
squishy35
Legend

Riders :cr:
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Everything always goes Edmonton's way, we know. Jerks. :bawl:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Know what? The Riders missing the playoffs is starting to mean more to me. I'd rather play the Esks or the Stamps than the Riders. Yeah I voted Esks. 8)
Real women wear orange!!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders :cr: Troy Davis is a one man wrecking crew for Edmonton this afternoon. Hope the Argos hang on :cr:
LFITQ
Team Captain

The Eskies in November ALWAYS scare the crap out of me.

Today's games should show you why. The Riders with a chance to get a home playoff game and keep the Lions from clinching first, went out and got bombed in the first half and practically folded the tent for the rest of the game.

The Eskies on the other hand, came out extremely bad in teh first half and then proceeded to get stronger as the game went on. Another few minutes (or if they had started earlier) and I believe the Eskies would have won.

Too many years of the eskies pulling it out have told me NEVER to count them out until the final whistle is blown. And right now the fat lady is warming up, but for which team is still undecided...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I thought that the Argo D came out in the 2nd half with the attitude that the win was in the bag.

The front seven went to sleep and let the Esks' o-line push them around for most of the 2nd half. When was the last time the Esks o-line pushed anyone around like they did today?

Rich Stubler went balistic on the sideline after the 2nd Esks TD.........that's the most F-bombs I've ever heard on a CFL broadcast and CBC made no effort to bleep them out.
Lloyd
Dan Russell
Legend

Riders, but only slimly beating the Eskimos.
Rammer
Team Captain

Dan Russell wrote:Riders, but only slimly beating the Eskimos.
It is looking more like that final game could be huge, it would be nice to watch with everything on the line. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
hwgill
Legend

Riders hopefully...then the Stamps beat them, and we beat the Stamps in the WDF...then we're Grey Cup bound and play Toronto.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Eskimos have a good chance of earning a split with the Argos based on how they played in the second half and their success at Commonwealth.

I would think Friday is a must-win for the Riders against the Als as I don't like their chances in TO the following week. Can't say they have the same momentum as the Esks after that beating but they are much tougher at Mosiac.

The Eskimos are down to 2 lives and the Riders need to cut it to one by the end of this weekend. If not... I like the Eskimos' chances of overhauling them in the regular season finale.
hwgill
Legend

That's a strong possibility. EE have played much harder recently, but I still think TO and Montreal are tougher teams, and will beat both the Esks & the Riders in their remaining games, and then the Riders will lose to the Esks...leaving the Esks solidly in 4th.

If however, the Riders manage to beat the Al's next weekend, it will put the Esks into a much tougher position.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Rammer
Team Captain

hwgill wrote:That's a strong possibility. EE have played much harder recently, but I still think TO and Montreal are tougher teams, and will beat both the Esks & the Riders in their remaining games, and then the Riders will lose to the Esks...leaving the Esks solidly in 4th.

If however, the Riders manage to beat the Al's next weekend, it will put the Esks into a much tougher position.
The magic number is now 2.....any combination of two wins/losses by the Risders/Eskimos and the deal is sealed, funny how the last game of the season between the two clubs accomplishes that magic number, and could well be the deciding factor given the next two weeks opponents.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Just for fun, I've crunched all the possibilities of the remaining games that will determine who gets the third and final berth left in the west.

Edm owns the tiebreaker against Ssk, having already won two of the three head-to-head games, with the third one left to play. There are five games left on the schedule that will determine whether Ssk (currently 7-8-14pts) or Edm (5-10-10pts) gets the last berth. They are:

(1) Mtl@Ssk, Fri Oct 13
(2) Tor@Edm, Sat Oct 14
(3) Ssk@Tor, Fri Oct 20
(4) Edm@Mtl, Sat Oct 21
(5) Ssk@Edm, Fri Oct 27

There are 2^5 = 32 possible outcomes -- neglecting ties, since they are statistically unlikely and make things too complicated to justify their extra consideration; there would then be 3^5 = 243 possible outcomes -- and all other things being equal, Edm's chances are 5 in 32 to make the playoffs, while Ssk's are 27 in 32.

Listed below are all the possible outcomes of the above five games as strings of five characters. A letter 'E' or 'e' for the nth character means that the outcome of the nth game listed above went in Edm's favour, similarly for 'S' or 's' -- with a capital indicating that the team in question actually played in (and won) that game. I've also included, for each scenario, the final point totals of each team. The outcomes which give Ssk the playoff berth are highlighted in green; those for Edm are in yellow.

eEeEE: Ssk 14, Edm 16
eEeES: 16, 14
eEesE: 14, 14
eEesS: 16, 12
eESEE: 16, 16
eESES: 18, 14
eESsE: 16, 14
eESsS: 18, 12

eseEE: 14, 14
eseES: 16, 12
esesE: 14, 12
esesS: 16, 10
esSEE: 16, 14
esSES: 18, 12
esSsE: 16, 12
esSsS: 18, 10

SEeEE: 16, 16
SEeES: 18, 14
SEesE: 16, 14
SEesS: 18, 12
SESEE: 18, 16
SESES: 20, 14
SESsE: 18, 14
SESsS: 20, 12
SseEE: 16, 14
SseES: 18, 12
SsesE: 16, 12
SsesS: 18, 10
SsSEE: 18, 14
SsSES: 20, 12
SsSsE: 18, 12
SsSsS: 20, 10

It's clear from this tabulation that if Ssk wins on Friday (denoted by an initial S character), then EVERYTHING will have to go Edm's way for them to make the playoffs, which makes sense since they'll trail by 6pts with three games left to play. Should Ssk lose that game, then Edm's chances increase to 25% (it's 15-5/8% right now). At any rate, and consistent with what Rammer just said, Edmonton has only one mulligan left, which they can only cash in before facing Ssk in the final game (i.e., those groups of yellow strings only have one s or S in each of them and it never appears at the end).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Dan Russell
Legend

The magic number is now 2.....any combination of two wins/losses by the Risders/Eskimos and the deal is sealed, funny how the last game of the season between the two clubs accomplishes that magic number, and could well be the deciding factor given the next two weeks opponents.
That would be an great game to watch the Eskimos fumble away third in the last game vs. Saskatchewan and the streak would end.