Male Cheerleaders and Gender Roles

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

pinkfreud

Cleaved from the hot men thread...
Charlene wrote:It's amazing how many people say that male cheerleaders are gay...way to be close-minded people.

Last time i checked, this was 2006....you'd think by now men and women would be free to do things that are traditionally only done by the opposite sex and not be seen as "gay"

:roll:
You are right Charlene. It is totally inappopriate to label people as gay if they take on non-traditional roles or activities. It's wrong to use "gay" to describe anything other than sexual orientation. I obviously didn't have my filter on when I posted that and I do my gay friends a total diservice when I'm that much of a dumba**.
Robbie wrote:Of the responses that I have received so far, it seems like the stereotype of male cheerleaders being looked down upon as gay, weak, and sissies is confirmed.

I guess that is just one of society's many double standards. If a woman engages in a traditionally male activity such as Danica Patrick in auto racing, she is positively looked up upon as breaking the gender barrier. But if men engage in a traditionally female activity such as cheerleading, they are negatively looked down upon as gay.

I suppose the all-time classic of a double standard is the "studs vs. sluts" model. A man who sleeps around with many women is positively labeled as a strong, macho, and sexy stud. But a woman who sleeps around with many men is negatively labeled as a slutty whore, bimbo, and skank. But I've noticed that this image has changed somewhat in recent years with celebrities like Paris Hilton and TV shows like Sex and the City. Now, all that needs to happen to balance everything is for Hollywood to produce a male version of Bring It On.
Why is it more acceptable for women to pursue male roles than men to pursue female roles? First, men have traditionally held most of the power in our society and have controlled most of the resources. Being male meant having power. Being female, not so much. So any kind of role or behaviour associated with being male is going to be more attractive, just out of its association with power. When a man embraces a female role, it is seen as de-masculinizing or disempowering because female roles are generally seen as more subordinate or supportive. Cheerleaders are there to support the team or facilitate the fans supporting the team (and other supportive functions!). That?s okay for women, because we accept women in a supportive role, we?re used to it. But men who do the same stand out. However, when a female breaks into a traditionally male role, she seems to become more empowered. Second, it's politically incorrect to chastise a female for pursuing non-traditional roles. If you speak out against it nowadays, there are implications ranging from losing face to being sued. These same expectations don't exist for men who pursue non-traditional gender roles, at least not to the same extent.

I don't think the whole "*beep*" and "whore" stigma is gone. Yes, women are portrayed more as sexual agents than they used to be and there isn?t the same tendency to paint all sexually active women as sluts, but people still pull it out to use as ammunition because it still has some stigma attached to it.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well said, Pinkfreud, for your 1000th post. :beer:

I see you went ahead and created this thread after I hesitated. Thanks. I'm interested in what others have to say about this topic.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I would say that this is the thread that will get a heterosexual male in hot water in the least amount of time possible.

:wink:
pinkfreud

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
Charlene wrote:It's amazing how many people say that male cheerleaders are gay...way to be close-minded people.
Allow me to point out that men browsing through the "Official Hot Guys Thread" on this site aren't in a position to be questioning anyone else's sexuality, if you get my drift... :lol:

Seriously, I know my teenage son was appalled when his football team's cheerleading squad included a guy this year. But he's come around - the guy is damned athletic, plus he gets to hold cute girls in the air by their backsides. What's not to admire?

Here's a question - is the idea that cheerleading is itself an admirable athletic endeavour not compromised when said 'athletes' do a cheesecake swimsuit calendar? When the Felions had cheerleading camp participants - little girls, in effect - join them at one game whilst they gyrated, did anyone else find it a little, well, creepy?
Yes, I find it disturbing when they have them mirror the sexually provocative moves (the non-sexual stuff doesn't bother me). Granted, the little ones don't understand the sexual nuances of what they're doing, but still. It seems like little girls are encouraged to be little women far too soon these days. It's fun at the time because you feel like one of the big girls. Then when you grow up you wonder where the adults were that were supposed to advocate for your childhood and innocence.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Meh...I don't see what the bid deal is. I've seen the Eskimo's cheer team in person more than a couple of times and they do some pretty impressive stuff. It's not like thise guys are wearing skirts and waving pom poms around.

I know I couldn't do what those guys do...

My preference is an all women cheerleading squad, but by no means do I think a man is gay if he's part of a cheer team.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Meh...I don't see what the bid deal is. I've seen the Eskimo's cheer team in person more than a couple of times and they do some pretty impressive stuff. It's not like thise guys are wearing skirts and waving pom poms around.

I know I couldn't do what those guys do...

My preference is an all women cheerleading squad, but by no means do I think a man is gay if he's part of a cheer team.
And you can parlay it into and education as well. I had a kid who played for me in HS that was a decent athlete but not going anywhere get a full ride at Washington as a "Yell Leader".
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of all this discussion about male cheerleaders, here's another question for all of you. Suppose you have a son who is in high school or college. And he insists on joining the school's cheerleading squad. Would you freak out and would you try to talk him out of it? Would you feel embarrassed telling others that your son is a cheerleader?

I'm not sure if most high schools in British Columbia have male cheerleaders. But as I mentioned in other threads before, the local colleges certainly do. Both the UBC and SFU cheerleaders contain men.

[img]http://www.sfucheerleading.ca/images/ph ... to_288.jpg[/img]
[img]http://sfucheer.myteamsite.ca/docs/Image/sfured(1).JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.cheerweb.net/ubccheer/images ... re_133.jpg[/img]
bc49
Hall of Famer

I think many present day parents would have an issue with their son joining a cheerleading squad. Their generation will likely be the last to cling to this old school gender association.
It's the kids of present day parents who are growing up in a world of male nurses and female firefighters who will be much more broader minded in such circumstances.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

heres an idea i just came up with.
The all new LIONBACKERS TRAVELLING DANCE TEAM!

sports & stuff will sponsor.

with a little practice we could go in the greycup parade, superbowl, rosebowl, the skys the limit!!
look at some of the talent pool we havve to choose from.

orangeshoes99/ bc49/yank in bc/solar max/ lfitq/ D/ rammer/rick james/bosco/balistic bob/lionheart/blue in bc/lionut/shi zi mi/
mighty buck/gerry/quesdad/david/toppyvan/macnews/robbie/canuck for life/blitz /cb123/ and lots more. :shock:
bc49
Hall of Famer

Well we already have the LIONBACKERS TRAVELLING BEER TEAM.
How much additional effort is really required for the dance team?
I say not much.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Suppose you have a son who is in high school or college. And he insists on joining the school's cheerleading squad. Would you freak out and would you try to talk him out of it? Would you feel embarrassed telling others that your son is a cheerleader?
I would try to talk him out of it. I would try to talk him out of ballet. I would try to talk him out of hair dressing school. I dont know about embarrassment, but would be dissappointed that he wanted to do these things.

Then again, I would also try to talk him out of joining the military, rock climbing, mining, and any other potential extra dangerous job\hobby.

Heck, I would even try to talk him out of becoming a missionary type person in the very dangerous third world.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

bc49 wrote:Well we already have the LIONBACKERS TRAVELLING BEER TEAM.
How much additional effort is really required for the dance team?
I say not much.
Slow down there Tommy, read the fine print......"will sponser". Perhaps this is your calling.... :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Robbie wrote:In light of all this discussion about male cheerleaders, here's another question for all of you. Suppose you have a son who is in high school or college. And he insists on joining the school's cheerleading squad. Would you freak out and would you try to talk him out of it? Would you feel embarrassed telling others that your son is a cheerleade]
I'd have no problem with it. Cheerleading seems to be developing into a legitimate sport. Maybe kind of a silly one, but then that's what I thought about football before my son starting playing.

Notice that the university uniforms are way less provocative, more like the ones the young girls - oops, cheerpersons - wear. Whereas the Felions are way more old-school eye candy. Could it be that redneck Edmonton is actually more socially progressive than Vancouver about this? Naah, that's just heresy! :roll:
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
nelson95
Legend

Those guys get more tail than half the players.

PS GWB was a male cheerleader
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

nelson95 wrote:PS GWB was a male cheerleader
Hey, you're right! That does it; no kid of mine is going to be a cheerleader! I don't want him growing up to start a nuke-yoo-lar war! (Kidding, people! :lol: )
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will