2011 Western Final Ticket Count

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

J5V
Rookie

Looks like only singles left in the lower bowl.

For the re-opener of BC Place game the Lions announced 40,000 sold on the prior Tuesday (Sep. 27th) & just over 50,000 showed up 3 days later on Friday (Sep. 30th.) If they hit 40,000 by Thursday they may see 50,000 by Sunday.
almo89
Legend

J5V wrote:Looks like only singles left in the lower bowl.

For the re-opener of BC Place game the Lions announced 40,000 sold on the prior Tuesday (Sep. 27th) & just over 50,000 showed up 3 days later on Friday (Sep. 30th.) If they hit 40,000 by Thursday they may see 50,000 by Sunday.
I wonder what the walk up was for the re-opener and what they will expect for the Western Final.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Did you guys notice that it wasn't actually that loud for the BC Place opener even though there was 50k fans there. I thought it was way louder for the game against the Als with only 35k. As long as the real fans show up, it'll be loud. Of course I do wanna see a full house. it will be fun regardless
They had the roof opened that night. Alot of the noise dissipated into the evening air.
David
Team Captain

34,140 as of 10:30am.

(SOURCE: News 1130)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:34,140 as of 10:30am.

Thanks for the update.

That's kind of low IMO, although there's still lots of time until Sunday. I think we definitely should crack 40k. I would think we'll get a walkup of about 3k. If we can sell another 6k between now and Sunday that brings us at around 43k with walkup. Not bad, but not where I would have hoped either.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

bc49 wrote: I am surprised the novelty draw of the new BC Place factored in for only one game and appears to have limited to nil effect for the WDF.
That's a great point Tommy. Certainly nothing compared to the novelty factor when the stadium first opened in the 1983 and both the Lions and Whitecaps benefited immensely. Basically the Sept. 30 grand re-opening was the only impacted game. Even the Whitecaps didn't bother opening additional seats beyond their 22,000 configuration that even has some lower bowl seats covered with tarps. That really surprised me.

I thought maybe a 1:30 p.m. weekend start for the WF would bring more fans beyond the LM who would also get to see the renovated stadium for the first time but I it seems to be a minimal factor. I recall there use to be a private foot passenger ferry service from Nanaimo that made runs strictly for past WFs and easily sold out two sailings. I don't think it's in business anymore.

Still 40,00 plus should be electric never mind not seeing the typical 3,000 to 4,000 with contra or comp tickets that are more interested in starting the wave than what's happening on the field.
MikeAK
All Star

I agree the numbers are low but we should hit 40k and I think that's a good number. I think the hardcore fans have already purchased their tickets so lets hope it's a nice clear and sunny day on Sunday so we can get the casuals out of the house and down to the stadium.
Last edited by MikeAK on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeAK
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:I recall there use to be a private foot passenger ferry service from Nanaimo that made runs strictly for past WFs and easily sold out two sailings. I don't think it's in business anymore.
Yes, yes... It wasn't just playoff games though, it use to run on all Lions home games. They offered a package that included a game ticket, ferry ride and even a shuttle to and from the stadium which allowed fans from the Island the opportunity to see the Leo's play and be back in their own bed the same night. I can't tell you how badly I miss that ferry.

Sadly they folded after the NHL lockout year. There were other reason why but the NHL lock out year was the nail in the coffin that they just couldn't recover from.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

MikeAK wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:I recall there use to be a private foot passenger ferry service from Nanaimo that made runs strictly for past WFs and easily sold out two sailings. I don't think it's in business anymore.
Yes, yes... It wasn't just playoff games though, it use to run on all Lions home games. They offered a package that included a game ticket, ferry ride and even a shuttle to and from the stadium which allowed fans from the Island the opportunity to see the Leo's play and be back in their own bed the same night. I can't tell you how badly I miss that ferry.

Sadly they folded after the NHL lockout year. There were other reason why but the NHL lock out year was the nail in the coffin that they just couldn't recover from.
Thanks MikeAK, yes too bad as there are a lot of Lion fans in the Nanaimo area.
mrbigglesworth
prospect

The_Pauser wrote:
David wrote:34,140 as of 10:30am.

Thanks for the update.

That's kind of low IMO, although there's still lots of time until Sunday. I think we definitely should crack 40k. I would think we'll get a walkup of about 3k. If we can sell another 6k between now and Sunday that brings us at around 43k with walkup. Not bad, but not where I would have hoped either.
Agreed, 34K seems low. We're averaging 1500 tix a day. At this pace we're looking at 40K + walkup, so 43K seems about right to me as a projection.

I looked back to ticket sales in 2007 when in the WDF we sold 54K. Ticket sales averaged 1600 per day in the 12 days leading up to the game and 2000 per day for the last four days - i.e. sales picked up as the game got closer. The walkup that year was only 700. In 2006, we sold 50K, averaged 2300 per day over the last 9 days, 3000 per day over the last 4 days, and had a walkup of 3000. We are well behind 2006 and 2007 this year.

On the plus side, on TM I can't see anything but singles in the lower bowl now (I was still able to find pairs last night).
Ballistic Bob
Legend

MikeAK wrote:I agree the numbers are low but we should hit 40k and I think that's a good number. I think the hardcore fans have already purchased their tickets so lets hope it's a nice clear and sunny day on Sunday so we can get the casuals out of the house and down to the stadium.
Heres the forecast http://ca.weather.yahoo.com/canada/brit ... -24461790/ BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
mrbigglesworth
prospect

Article in the Sun from Nov 15: Ticket sales lag for Lions-Eskimos final

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Tick ... z1du3hubhS
VANCOUVER - About 54,000 fans will jam into BC Place for the Grey Cup on Nov. 27.

But fewer than 33,000 tickets have been sold so far for the CFL western final between the B.C. Lions and Edmonton Eskimos at BC Place on Sunday, Lions representative Jamie Cartmell said Tuesday.

“Sometimes having a big stadium can work against you a bit,” he said in an interview. “People seem less inclined to panic because they assume tickets will be available.”

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have nearly sold out Canad Inns Stadium for the eastern final against Hamilton on Sunday but that facility only holds about 30,000 fans.

The last two CFL western finals at BC Place attracted more than 50,000 fans in 2006 and 2007 and Cartmell said many of those tickets were sold in the two or three days before the game.

“They definitely support big events in this city so we're hoping the same thing happens again,” he said.

Cartmell said many Lions fans bought expensive Grey Cup tickets this year and some may have chosen to save money by watching the western final on television.

Ticket prices for the western final range from about $42 to $92, compared with Grey Cup tickets that ranged from about $125 to $375
Reading this article hasn't changed my opinion that the Lions are too conservative in their marketing, sitting back and waiting for fans to show up rather than going out to promote the team and the WDF.
chuckyc78
prospect

I Wonder if the fact that the Grey cup is here could be hurting attendence somwhat because if you look at the 05 WCF the attendence for that game was also lower in a year where the grey cup was here
David
Team Captain

That's part of it, but I do hope the Lions are reading things like emails to the paper. Here are some casual fan comments that appeared in the Vancouver Sun story:
joeforte
7:23 PM on 11/15/2011
I wanted to go too, but the prices were too high.

temo
6:49 PM on 11/15/2011
After the "order processing fee" the cheapest ticket is $47. Sorry Leos, I realize you gotta pay the rent on a fancy new stadium but you've priced me out of your product. I guess that's the way entertainment prices are going but don't be surprised if people vote with their wallets.

Then instead of hyping this game, building excitement, and showing value for the casual fan (BTW, does anyone even know what the halftime entertainment is going to be?), we get buzz killing quotes from the Lions' own Director of Communications:
Cartmell said many Lions fans bought expensive Grey Cup tickets this year and some may have chosen to save money by watching the western final on television.
Gee, thanks. That ought to reel 'em in! :dizzy:

Roar, You Lions, Roar