Official 2008-09 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rypien sees light after dark times

By Ed Willes, The ProvinceMay 6, 2009

“He has his battles,” says his good friend Kevin Bieksa. “Injuries are tough to deal with. It’s a mental challenge as much as a physical one. You’re out for that long. You’re isolated from the team. It wears on you.

“To have back-to-back years where you’ve had major injuries, it’s tough on a guy. You can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t really express it any more than that. But he’s worked hard to get back and we’re a lot better team when he’s in the lineup.”

Two months ago, Rypien stepped in to the Canucks lineup after a lengthy leave of absence for “non-hockey reasons” and has since become a regular contributor as a fourth-line energy guy, sometime penalty-killer and, in Bieksa’s estimation, the best fighter, pound-for-pound, in the NHL.

Rypien, in fact, fits in perfectly with the faster, tougher team identity the Canucks have built this season and the organization has always believed he could play that role.

The problem was, prior to these last two months, he could never stay healthy long enough to secure his place on the roster and last fall, after he suffered a sports hernia, he simply walked away from the game.

It was also his sixth major injury in the four full seasons since he turned pro.

“It was definitely a tough time but I think I’m better because of it and I definitely learned a lot,” Rypien says.

“People are faced with certain things and I was faced with injuries. Maybe it was too much of it but I feel like I’ve overcome it.”

“It was definitely frustrating but it’s all in the past,” he says. “

That’s a road I went down a long time ago. I’m just looking ahead now. What’s done is done. I can’t change anything right now.”

As frustrating as the injuries were for Rypien, they were equally exasperating for the Canucks who believed the buzzsaw forward could make the same impact on the NHL team that Manitoba grads Bieksa and Burrows were making.

Rypien was brought to Manitoba by Moose GM Craig Heisinger shortly after his overage year with the Regina Pats.

He was installed in the lineup at the end of the 2004-05 lockout season, and immediately turned heads when he lumped out hulking defenceman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen.

Burrows, Bieksa and Ryan Kesler were all members of that Moose team. All are huge fans of Rypien.

“I remember when he first came up he weighed maybe a buck-sixty,” says Bieksa.

“He was just a little guy and I didn’t know if he was there to play or he was there to watch.”

“I think when you first look at him he’s not the scariest guy,” continues Bieksa. “But when you take a closer look you see the battle scars on his face. He’s been through the wars. I don’t think he surprises anyone anymore. I know in the St. Louis series there was no one going near him in the scrum. Teams are starting to realize who he is.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rypie ... story.html

Nice article by Ed Willes on Rick Rypien.

He's fast, a terrific hitter on the forecheck, and able to contribute somewhat on offense.

It's interesting how a "little guy" can be such a ferocious fighter that very few opponents are willing to tangle with him.

It certainly sounds like he had a hard time dealing with his injuries. Hopefully he has learned from the process of healing, and can have an extended stay with the Canucks. It sounds like he means a lot to his teammates.

The Manitoba Moose have graduated some key guys to the Canucks, players like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows and Rypien. These guys provide great character and leadership, despite their youth.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Will the Canucks season end tonight? :pray:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
mightybuck
Legend

is there a canucks fan board like lionbackers?
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
nelson95
Legend

$7 million a season

CHOKE
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Ravi
Legend

nelson95 wrote:$7 million a season

CHOKE
Luongo is a good goalie but has he ever really won anything? With the kind of money that he is being paid, he needed to step up his game and he had opportunities to do so in the Chicago series but failed. It looks like there will be many tough decisions to be made for the Canucks this off-season.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Oh. Is hockey season in Vancouver over? What a shame. :cheer:
nelson95
Legend

He is generally great but tonight in a must win he blew it

Outplayed by Bulin for sure

better luck next year
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Oh. Is hockey season in Vancouver over? What a shame. :cheer:
:wink:
Real women wear orange!!
nelson95
Legend

By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor(Kamloops)

Kris Versteeg’s stay with the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers was rather short-lived, but it was long enough to make an impression with one fan.
“He’s my best friend,” Jenna Fowler said Monday during the first intermission of the NHL playoff game between the Blackhawks and the visiting Vancouver Canucks.
Versteeg played 14 games with the Blazers after being acquired from the Lethbridge Hurricanes to start the 2005-06 season. At that point, he was traded to the Red Deer Rebels.
But he was here long enough to meet Jenna, who was born with a rare bone disease and makes regular trips to Vancouver to consult with doctors. To date, Jenna, 28, has been through 26 surgical procedures.
Last month, on one of those trips to the big city, she purchased a Blackhawks jersey, after which she contacted Versteeg, who is a candidate for the NHL’s rookie-of-the-year award after a 53-point season.
“I emailed him and just asked him if I could get my jersey signed,” Jenna said. “He said that if we could make it to Vancouver for Game 5 he would get us tickets and let us go downstairs after the game and get my jersey signed.”
And that’s where Jenna and her father, Ken, were Saturday night as the Blackhawks scored a 4-2 victory over the Canucks in a game that included fans chanting “BULL----!” and littering the ice with debris.
“Those people in Vancouver . . . they’re wicked,” Ken said. “Jenna was frightened when they were chanting.”
Jenna was wearing her Chicago jersey when she took her seat.
“The guy sitting beside her was . . . a big man,” Ken said. “He sat down and he looked at Jenna and he said, ‘Holy (cripes), we got the gawd-damn Chicago Blackhawks sitting beside us.’
“When Chicago scored, Jenna never cheered once. If that was in Kamloops, she would have forgotten it and cheered.
“Going down in the elevator, we had one guy come up to us. He stuck his face right in Jenna’s face and swore at her about the Chicago jersey. They’re not good fans, I’ll tell you that.
“I told him that we were from Kamloops and that her best friend was playing for Chicago and that calmed things down.”
None of that kept Jenna from enjoying herself, though.
“We were in the balcony. It was great,” she said.
And after the game, true to his word, Versteeg made sure Fowler got to meet some of his teammates, including former WHLers Dustin Byfuglien and Duncan Keith.
“It was awesome,” Jenna said.
And, yes, she got her jersey signed.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Re: The above.
Stay classy Vancouver Canuck fans.
Tighthead
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:Re: The above.
Stay classy Vancouver Canuck fans.
"We are all Canucks"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

For the first time since 1978, there is a rematch of the finalists last season. Which team will win this season?

And kudos to Sydney Crosby for breaking the superstition and hoisting his conference championship trophy. As he said in his post-game interview, it didn't work last season so the heck with it this year.

祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'll have another one of these, please and thank you. :yes:

Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'm sure there's many out there who hope that this is the only trophy the Red Wings will get.

祝你龍年行大運。
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:For the first time since 1978, there is a rematch of the finalists last season.
'84 Robbie

Another thing, please no photos of butthead it sickens me to see that guy.