POLL: Do you want an OUTDOOR stadium or happy with the dome?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

To Dome or not to Dome ...

Dome
73%
Outdoor
27%

Total votes: 104
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

No, I mean a stadium similar to quest field but with a retractable roof.
Just so we can keep the crybaby's dry.
Bighill is Badass
MacNews
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:but with the real estate of Vancouver, they may have to get a break on the land from the local governments in order to do so.
If BC Place is put-down, I wouldn't be surprised to see the provincial government re-zone some land and go for a P3-built stadium.
hexx

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote: I always thought it was a mistake to put the Stadium downtown and still do. The bulk of the population doesn't live downtown and never will.
Having a stadium downtown is important to a city. Teams like the Detroit Lions who experimented with suburban stadiums are moving back to downtown stadiums. It's not that the Detroit Lions didn't fill the house in Pontiac, it's that the city of Detroit saw the value of having their team play games downtown.

The BC Lions may similarly draw just fine at a stadium in Surrey, but the city of Vancouver needs to understand the importance of keeping the games downtown. Sure the land BC Place is on may be worth millions, but at the same time the land encompassed by Stanley Park would be worth billions. Should Stanley Park be de-reserved to allow condos to be built? Or is there a greater benefit to a city that having parks and stadiums provide to the overall quality of life and vibrance of the community?
:whs:
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

I vote for the Dome. I attended quite a few games at Empire and many were wet, miserable and cold.

BC Place was such an immense improvement when we first moved there.

I believe our attendance numbers will go down if we get another outdoor stadium.
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
Robbie
Hall of Famer

AC/DCrocks wrote:No, I mean a stadium similar to quest field but with a retractable roof.
Okay, I see what you mean now. By the way, the correct spelling of that stadium is Qwest Field, named after Qwest Communications International Inc.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Dan Russell
Legend

The dome is the only home.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

hexx wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote: I always thought it was a mistake to put the Stadium downtown and still do. The bulk of the population doesn't live downtown and never will.
Having a stadium downtown is important to a city. Teams like the Detroit Lions who experimented with suburban stadiums are moving back to downtown stadiums. It's not that the Detroit Lions didn't fill the house in Pontiac, it's that the city of Detroit saw the value of having their team play games downtown.

The BC Lions may similarly draw just fine at a stadium in Surrey, but the city of Vancouver needs to understand the importance of keeping the games downtown. Sure the land BC Place is on may be worth millions, but at the same time the land encompassed by Stanley Park would be worth billions. Should Stanley Park be de-reserved to allow condos to be built? Or is there a greater benefit to a city that having parks and stadiums provide to the overall quality of life and vibrance of the community?
Funny how that didn't seem to affect them for the first 20 years of their existence. Empire Stadium was built in an area that was considerably less densely populated at the time. The idea of buidling a new stadium downtown is likely a non- starter so it is moot. If they are going to move, then they better start thinking sensibly where they are going to put a new one. I have heard totally stupid ideas such as out at UBC/Point Grey. I'd be fine if they put it back at the PNE actually. It makes a lot of transportation sense in that it is very centrally located. It would also provide some more renewal initiative there. The highly contaminated lands at Scott Road also make sense for a facilty. Just as a side note, Surrey is a city as well and no less deserving of the benefits of a stadium. The downtown core will have the Canucks for some years to come, the new convention centre expansion etc. I don't think it is especially critical to the ongoing sense of community if the Lions dont' play out of there as well. Bottom, line, the Lions will need a facility that they should get some of the take from parking and concessions. A facility where they will maximize their gate. That should be the first and only consideration when it comes right down to it. If that is downtown, so be it but I can't see it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
hexx wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:

Funny how that didn't seem to affect them for the first 20 years of their existence. Empire Stadium was built in an area that was considerably less densely populated at the time. The idea of buidling a new stadium downtown is likely a non- starter so it is moot. If they are going to move, then they better start thinking sensibly where they are going to put a new one. I have heard totally stupid ideas such as out at UBC/Point Grey. I'd be fine if they put it back at the PNE actually. It makes a lot of transportation sense in that it is very centrally located. It would also provide some more renewal initiative there. The highly contaminated lands at Scott Road also make sense for a facilty. Just as a side note, Surrey is a city as well and no less deserving of the benefits of a stadium. The downtown core will have the Canucks for some years to come, the new convention centre expansion etc. I don't think it is especially critical to the ongoing sense of community if the Lions dont' play out of there as well. Bottom, line, the Lions will need a facility that they should get some of the take from parking and concessions. A facility where they will maximize their gate. That should be the first and only consideration when it comes right down to it. If that is downtown, so be it but I can't see it.
My post was not about what is best for the Lions, but rather what is best for the city of Vancouver. The Lions did just fine at Empire, and they would probably do fine at a new suburban stadium. But ff the city of Vancouver is not careful, one day they will have nothing downtown but condos and office towers.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I understand your point but Condos and Towers is pretty much what is there is already and more are being built everyday. That is why the land at BCPlace is not likely going to remain as stadium in the future. It is pretty obvious that the developers don't care too much about it nor do the city planners and councils that approve all of the development. But seriously, the Canucks, the main library, the convention centre, Stanley Park, Chinatown etc. None of these things are going away so I just can't agee that the Lions are somehow integral to their sense of community. When they decided not to put BC Place at the PNE thus effectively killing the plans for massive upgrades to that site (BC Place would have been the hub around which that renewal was formed), they gave up free land, took away revenue from a section of the city that could really use it and condemmend the PNE to 30 more years of decay. An issue which still has to be resolved incidently. They didn't seem to mind moving that all away then, so I don't think the downtown core merits any more consideration now.
MFZERO
prospect

I love the dome
Rammer
Team Captain

MFZERO wrote:I love the dome
Especially had the WDF taken place on a day like today, can you imagine 50K showing up for the game, nevermind the impact that the roof allows the fans to make.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MFZERO
prospect

Rammer wrote:
MFZERO wrote:I love the dome
Especially had the WDF taken place on a day like today, can you imagine 50K showing up for the game, nevermind the impact that the roof allows the fans to make.
Hells no, with the rain and the wind. It would almost be like that game Chicago and San Fran played last year.

Maybe not that bad.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:Funny how that didn't seem to affect them for the first 20 years of their existence. Empire Stadium was built in an area that was considerably less densely populated at the time. The idea of buidling a new stadium downtown is likely a non- starter so it is moot. If they are going to move, then they better start thinking sensibly where they are going to put a new one. I have heard totally stupid ideas such as out at UBC/Point Grey. I'd be fine if they put it back at the PNE actually. It makes a lot of transportation sense in that it is very centrally located. It would also provide some more renewal initiative there. The highly contaminated lands at Scott Road also make sense for a facilty. Just as a side note, Surrey is a city as well and no less deserving of the benefits of a stadium. The downtown core will have the Canucks for some years to come, the new convention centre expansion etc. I don't think it is especially critical to the ongoing sense of community if the Lions dont' play out of there as well. Bottom, line, the Lions will need a facility that they should get some of the take from parking and concessions. A facility where they will maximize their gate. That should be the first and only consideration when it comes right down to it. If that is downtown, so be it but I can't see it.
Public transit all over the Lower Mainland uses downtown as its central hub, though, ensuring that the ride is more accessible to a wider distribution of people. Surreyites can take thre SkyTrain in, Vancouverites can take a bus.

If you move the stadium somewhere like Surrey, that's great for Surrey, but not so great for everyone else coming by transit.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Uh, Scott Road is right on Skytrain Transit. It also opens up more opportunities for drivers in Langley, WhiteRock, Abbotsford, Aldergrove etc. Transit does not focus on the downtown as a hub, its focus is on routing people to Skytrain. Most bus routes head more or less to the closest Skytrain Station.
It is close to the Lions practise facility and provides easier access to the Abottsford Airport which is a assuming an ever larger role in the lives of people who fly in and out of Greater Vancouver. I don't see how having a stadium at one end of a transit line is any different than having it at the other, especially since most of the people who are taking the transit are coming from points closer to Surrey than the downtown core.. Lets not forget parking too? Hands up how many people were able to park on the street this last Sunday past, whats that? None. Maybe because the meters are in effect until 8:00 p.m. 7 days a week and are good for only 2 hours. If you don't like Scott Rd. thats fine but when the dome does come down, a replacement is going to live somewhere and chances are that it won't be downtown again. If the land is so valuable now, what is it going to be worth 5 years from now? So tell me where you think might be good.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Uh, Scott Road is right on Skytrain Transit. It also opens up more opportunities for drivers in Langley, WhiteRock, Abbotsford, Aldergrove etc.
It is close to the Lions practise facility and provides easier access to the Abottsford Airport which is a assuming an ever larger role in the lives of people who fly in and out of Greater Vancouver. I don't see how having a stadium at one end of a transit line is any different than having it at the other, especially since most of the people who are taking the transit are coming from points closer to Surrey than the downtown core.. Lets not forget parking too? Hands up how many people were able to park on the street this last Sunday past, whats that? None. Maybe because the meters are in effect 24/7 and are good for only 2 hours.
Now lets put up our hands on how many people decided to go to a nice little restaurant/bar, that is my biggest concern/advantage that a DT location has over it.
Entertainment value = an all time low