Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Russell Wilson turns down invitation to Dancing with the Stars

Russell Wilson has been the darling of the celebrity and talk-show circuit since the Seahawks won the Super Bowl. He's appeared everywhere--and has conducted himself well throughout. It turns out he was invited to take part in Dancing with the Stars--for the second time now--and turned it down. Good decision.

Here's the story by Andy Clayton of the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1707212
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wilsons got enough to do with MLB spring training. Glad he's having fun. I've certainly seen a change in coverage on the NFL network. The Seattle Seahawks didn't use to get much coverage. It kinda made sense, especially the season they won their division with a losing record. That being said, as the Superbowl Champs, they are getting their share of the spotlight......
South Pender
Legend

Report: Kaepernick looking for $18 million per year
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2014, 9:07 AM EST

As it turns out, coach Jim Harbaugh is a bargain in comparison to quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

At a time when it’s believed that Harbaugh hopes to increase his annual salary from $5 million to $6.5 million in 2014, Kaepernick hopes to end in a much higher spot. While starting in a much lower one.

Due to earn $973,000 this year, Kaepernick reportedly is looking for $18 million per year as part of a long-term deal, according to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe.

That would put Kaepernick in the same ballpark as Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, and slightly ahead of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who averages $17.6 million per year.

It’s also considerably more than Patriots quarterback Tom Brady’s current $14.1 million per year deal, which nevertheless kicked off in 2013 with a $30 million signing bonus.

The question for the 49ers is whether to take the Joe Flacco approach or the Matt Ryan approach. In 2012, the Ravens opted to let Flacco finish his rookie contract, and he did so with a Super Bowl MVP trophy. It backed the Ravens into a corner, forcing them to choose between making him the highest-paid quarterback in the league or starting down a year-to-year path under the exclusive franchise tag that would have given him more than $80 million in three years.

In 2013, the Falcons opted to pay Matt Ryan before he completed the final year of his rookie deal and backed the team into the same corner, forcing Atlanta to break the bank even bigger in early 2014. Despite the team’s unexpectedly bad season, the Falcons still would have been faced with a dilemma between using the non-exclusive franchise tag (and risking a pilfering by another team happy to give up two first-round picks) and applying the exclusive version of the tag.

Kaepernick arguably hasn’t played enough games (he has only 23 regular-season starts) to justify the kind of money he wants. Also, given his mobile playing style, the 49ers will assume a greater injury risk upon giving Kaepernick long-term security.

With new team president Paraag Marathe, an analytics aficionado, recently explaining at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference that advanced statistics “absolutely play a big role” in contract negotiations, the sample size is still too small to pay Kaepernick at or near the top of the market.

“Both sides in a contract negotiation, both sides are using analytics and data to help support — it’s confirmation bias to the max, everybody’s trying to find evidence that supports whatever theory or contract demand they want to make,” Marathe said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “They can cut it and slice it in a lot of ways that help you.”

Two stats can slice apart the legend of Colin Kaepernick. As explained in the latest edition of ESPN The Magazine, Kaepernick had a league-worst 54.6 completion percentage while under pressure. He also was sacked 20.2 percent of the time when facing pressure, the fourth highest average among all NFL starters.

Then there’s the question of whether Kaepernick’s success comes more from his innate abilities or from the highly talented team that surrounds him. And whether any other coach can get out of Kaepernick the production that Harbaugh has — especially once the postseason rolls around and Kaepernick seems to find a higher level of play.

With the Harbaugh situation potentially imploding after 2014, it’s probably a good idea to wait to pay Kaepernick the kind of money he’s looking for. If he has another strong season, the number won’t get much higher in 2015. If Kaepernick struggles, it could become a lot cheaper to keep him.

Is K worth $18M per year (about 1/7 of the total 49ers' player budget)? This salary would undoubtedly make it very hard for the 49ers to sign some of the other guys they want to keep.

And is it just me, or does this guy have a seriously-enlarged head? He's been good at times, but, as Florio points out, he hasn't been an unqualified success. If he gets this, heaven only knows what Russell Wilson will be looking for next year....

Edit: Just ran across this article, by Marcus Thompson off the San Jose Mercury News, making a case for paying Kaepernick what he's asking:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_252 ... source=rss
notahomer
Hall of Famer

[quote="South Pender"].....Is K worth $18M per year (about 1/7 of the total 49ers' player budget)? This salary would undoubtedly make it very hard for the 49ers to sign some of the other guys they want to keep.

And is it just me, or does this guy have a seriously-enlarged head? He's been good at times, but, as Florio points out, he hasn't been an unqualified success. If he gets this, heaven only knows what Russell Wilson will be looking for next year..../quote]

IMO, Kaepernick is certainly NOT WORTH 18 Million per season. I DO HOPE HE GETS it though!!! It will wipe out the 49ers until they CUT HIM. The 49ers signed Boldin for another couple years (not sure how much but it didn't sound extreme).

If Russell Wilson were to get that kind of money, I doubt the Seahawks would then be able to pay the other pieces of the puzzle. IMO, that is the problem with the QB first system. QB leads team to Superbowl win (or close). Then team breaks bank to keep him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Sixty touchdown passes. Fifteen wins. A fifth MVP trophy.

Peyton Manning is more productive than he's ever been, and whether he's deciphering defences at the line of scrimmage on game day or on his iPad during the week, his love for the game hasn't waned.

The final piece of evidence that Manning is as good as ever came Monday.

As expected, Manning passed the exam on his surgically repaired neck that was required by his contract with the Broncos that will pay him $20 million next season, according to a person with knowledge of the results. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday because results of medical checkups typically aren't announced.

Manning has said that if doctors tell him he's at risk physically, he'd have no problem calling it a career.

After his four neck procedures, including a spinal fusion that sidelined him for all of 2011 and eventually led to his release from Indianapolis, Manning has said he has steeled himself for that possibility.

At the Super Bowl last month, he talked about how his older brother, Cooper, had to give up football after neck surgeries in high school and college, and how that had a big impact on his life.

"I remember at the time, when Cooper got injured, they did a test on me and Eli. I would have been a junior in high school and Eli would have been a sixth-grader, or something. They said our necks weren't picture purrfect and didn't look ideal, but they're stable enough to keep playing football. Cooper had to give up playing football. In some ways, when I had my neck problems, I thought maybe I had been on borrowed time this entire time," Manning said. "I was fortunate to have 20 years of health to play football. If that was going to be the end of it because of a neck injury, I really, believe it or not, had a peace about it."

Once doctors told him his neck was secure, however, Manning said he quickly shifted his focus to seeing if he could strengthen his weakened throwing arm to the point where he could be productive again.

After the Colts released him, Manning signed a five-year, $96 million deal in Denver, where he's thrown for 100 TDs, including the playoffs, while going 28-7 with two AFC titles.

Manning won his fifth MVP award in 2013, when he set single-season records by passing for 5,547 yards and 55 TDs while guiding the Broncos, the highest-scoring team in NFL history, to their first Super Bowl in 15 seasons.

Manning, who will be 38 next season, said during Super Bowl week that he had no intention of retiring after the Super Bowl.

Although Manning's plans for 2014 became a big story line in the playoffs, the Broncos front office had proceeded as though their quarterback would be returning for another run at a title. Although his deal with Denver requires him to pass a physical every spring to make sure his neck is OK, if there were any concerns about his neck, he wouldn't have started all 16 games, plus three more in the playoffs.

Not only is Manning still performing at his peak level, he said he still enjoys everything that goes into getting ready to play on game days and "when you still enjoy the preparation, I think you probably still ought to be doing that," he said at the Super Bowl.

He passed his required exit physical that all players take in the days following the Broncos' Super Bowl loss to Seattle. He then played in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament just days later, another indication that his neck is fine.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:IMO, Kaepernick is certainly NOT WORTH 18 Million per season. I DO HOPE HE GETS it though!!! It will wipe out the 49ers until they CUT HIM. The 49ers signed Boldin for another couple years (not sure how much but it didn't sound extreme).
Boldin signed for $6M a year for two years. That might be about what the Seahawks will have to pay Golden Tate to keep him.

You're right about the QB first kind of thinking. Look at what the Ravens threw at Flacco to keep him: $120M over six years. Pretty hard to repeat when you can't sign your other contributors.
South Pender
Legend

Brandon Browner reinstated by NFL

Here's the story by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. I'd be surprised if he re-signed with the Seahawks.

NFL reinstates Brandon Browner
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2014, 7:35 PM EST

Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner was due to be a free agent next week. But then Browner was suspended.

Now, he has been unsuspended. Browner has announced on Twitter that he has been reinstated by the league.

“I received wonderful news today,” Browner said. “The NFL has reinstated me, and I now have the opportunity to prove to the fans and my teammates how important this sport is to me. I realize now more than ever that being part of the NFL is not a right, but a privilege. I am grateful that Commissioner Goodell and my agent were able to resolve this issue in a positive, productive manner so I can continue my career, provide for my family, and help my team win a Super Bowl. Thank you to all who have gone out of their way to show their support. I will live up to your expectations of me.”

It means that Browner will be a free agent next week, joining a market that includes cornerbacks like Aqib Talib, Vontae Davis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Sam Shields. It also means that the league has opted to lift the suspension as part of a negotiation launched in the wake of the news from last week that Browner planned to sue the NFL.

It’s unclear whether Browner has been reinstated with no strings attached, or whether he’ll have to serve a suspension (e.g., two, four, or six games) after participating in offseason workouts, training camp, and the preseason. Previously, he was banned from all activities until December 2014.

Look for more details to come soon. Potentially interested teams need to know whether and to what extent Browner will be unavailable as of Week One before they decide whether to attempt to sign him.

For now, he’s seven days away from being available to be signed by anyone.

UPDATE (3/5/14): Browner suspended for first 4 games of 2014 season. However, he can take part in all off-season and preseason activities with his new team (or maybe old team, although I hope not).
Last edited by South Pender on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

As an ex-CFLer, Browner was always a player I was watching closely in the NFL. Shame he wasn't part of the Seahawks trip to the Superbowl this season.

Gotta figure his style of play will attract some $$$ on the open market. Heard him chatter about how he likes the Seahawks organization etc... Didn't he do some kinda piece back in November supporting Darian Durant on the Grey Cup pregame???

don't got a clue where he'd be headed but considering how well they played WITHOUT him, would the Seahawks even be interested????.....
Still saw some clips on Colin K. for the 49ers. His stats are AWFUL when he's under pressure. Then again, we are talking about a QB whose team has played in two conference championship games. BUt, then again, thats actually THREE straight NFC Championship games as his predecessor, Alex Smith got them there once too. IOW, is Colin the guy leading a great team? Or, my perspective, a talented wrinkle that is getting more/more figured out, playing QB on a team with an outstanding physical defence and loads of offensive pieces (running back, physical recievers). I have watched enough football to know that Colin Kaepernick's ways of playing the game are going to be adjusted for and how successful he'll be rests in large part to how his coaches/him adjust to those adjustments.....
South Pender
Legend

BILLS ANNOUNCE POSTPONEMENT OF TORONTO SERIES
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rob Ford will need to find another reason to eat chicken wings in public.

The Bills and Rogers Media have issued a joint statement announcing that the annual Toronto series has been postponed for a year.

“The Buffalo Bills and Rogers are committed to delivering a first-class NFL experience to Canadians,” Bills CEO Russ Brandon and Rogers Media president Keith Pelley said, perhaps simultaneously. “As such, we have postponed for one year the scheduled 2014 regular season game at Rogers Centre in Toronto, and that game will return to Ralph Wilson Stadium. We will use this time to collectively evaluate opportunities and build on the foundation to enhance future games.

“We are committed to continuing our partnership and have secured a robust sponsorship agreement for the 2014 season that will bring Canadian NFL fans visibility and access to the Bills. The sponsorship includes ticketing, merchandising, media exposure, and a newly created Canada House, near Ralph Wilson Stadium, that will serve as the official pre-game Canadian tailgate zone for all Bills home games.”

So, basically, the Bills have moved their annual Toronto game from Toronto to . . . Buffalo.

The move comes only one year after the Bills renewed their agreement to play in Toronto, a decision that came after only 40,000 showed up to watch the Seahawks blast the Bills, 50-17, during the 2012 edition of the game. The 2013 crowd was even smaller, prompting the team’s desire to stop playing there, at least for now.

The Toronto experiment can’t yet be deemed a failure, but it’s getting very close. If/when the plug is pulled, the Bills will take one step far closer toward leaving Buffalo.

While fans didn’t like the effort to create a regional footprint for the team, owner Ralph Wilson realized that expanding the fan base would be the best way to keep the team in Buffalo. If that doesn’t work, there’s little chance that the highest bidder for the Bills, which will be sold after the 95-year-old owner passes, will be able to keep the team in Buffalo.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Soon to be the Los Angeles Bills? Geez, that name doesn't work too well, does it. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Soon to be the Los Angeles Bills? Geez, that name doesn't work too well, does it. :wink:
Could go with the Los Angeles Buffalos>>>> :wink:

If/WHEN the Bills do move, you'd have to wonder if there would be a divisional/conference shake up too? IIRC, the Seahawks were a AFC team on expansion but were able to transfer to what I feel is a good division (Seattle/SanFran/Arizona/StLouis). That NFC division is certainly one I could see shaking up should the Bill's move to L.A. Why not drop StLouis and add LA to the NFC West but that causes other things to shift too.
Haven't caught a lot of it but its DYNASTY week on NFL network. This week is Green Bay Packer week, so lots of stuff on one of WCJ's all time fav head coaches Lombardi. IIRC, next week is Patriot week, followed by Steeler week and Cowboy week. Kinda surprised they didn't just do it according to time (Packers/Steelers/Cowboys/Patriots) but they must have their reasons.
Sounding like I might be in the minority wondering why Colin K. might be deserving 18million schimolis to play QB. Yes, he's had early success (so did Michael Vick). Not sure any QB is worth the kinda money (YES, I mean Peyton/Brady too!) that requires that kinda dough to be invested in one player.....
South Pender
Legend

A little Pro Football Talk for a quiet Friday:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Stories of interest: Mike Florio's analysis of the SF/Kaepernick situation (in which Florio gives 10 reasons not to hand over $18M/year--now reported to have risen to $20M/Year--to CK), Michael Bennett's decision to go into free agency, rather than taking whatever the Seahawks have offered him (this doesn't mean that the 'Hawks won't match what he's offered if it's greater), Devin Hester leaving the Bears, Lance Moore leaving the Saints, Champ Bailey's being released, and the totally-intriguing possibility of Jimmy Graham being pried loose from the Saints (good lord, wouldn't he look good in Seahawk blue and green?)...and lots more.

Free agency tampering begins tomorrow; free agency officially begins next Tuesday. Let's hope John Schneider and Pete Carroll have their ducks in a row.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Seahawks and 49ers have certainly developed into a notable rivalry over the past two or three years. The story about the Niners trying to get Michael Bennett away from the 'Hawks is a case in point--strengthen the Niners and weaken their arch-rival in one fell swoop. I think some of this increasing bitterness between the two teams has its origins in the Pete Carroll-Jim Harbaugh rivalry in the college ranks, but it's certainly been fueled by injudicious outbursts from guys like Richard Sherman. And one team standing in the way of the other to win the division and go on to the Super Bowl. In any case, it's a super-rivalry now, at about the same intensity, I'd guess, as that between the Bears and Packers, although the latter has been going for 90+ years!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might the Seahawks have a use for Darren Sproles--the waterbug about to be released (along with Lance Moore) by the Saints?
And this (from Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk) - Joe Gibbs on eliminating the extra point--and maybe field goals:

Joe Gibbs suggests eliminating extra points — and even field goals
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 7, 2014, 7:10 PM EST

Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs is all for eliminating the extra point. But why stop there?

Gibbs told Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio that he wouldn’t mind getting rid of field goals in addition to extra points. Why should 11 football players have to march the ball down the field only to put the team’s fate on the foot of a puny kicker? Gibbs thinks that if you want to give out partial points to a drive that gets stopped short of the end zone, award points for a team that gets inside the 10-yard line or the 5-yard line but fails to score.

“Even field goals, you know what I mean? I was one who wanted to let the team decide,” Gibbs said. “You get to the 10 you get one point, you get to the 5 you get two. I’m for anything like that where the team — that’s 11 guys — help determine the outcome of the game. Not one person kicking something.”

Gibbs is an old-school coach whose career started back in the days when men were men and kickers were expected to play another position, not just specialize. So it’s not surprising that when Gibbs thinks of a team of 11 guys determining the outcome of a game, he’s not thinking of one of those guys being a kicker.

But eliminating field goals isn’t even up for discussion in the NFL. Anyone who wants to de-emphasize kicking would be wise to keep the focus on extra points.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'd like to see extra points debated and possibly changed, but I'd hate to see the end of field goals. What do you guys think?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The NFL have smaller fields and that limits the quality of the kicking game with not all kick offs run back as in the CFL. Eliminating and all kicking and calling it FOOTball is bizarre.

The NFL should follow some CFL rules with eliminating fair catch but bring in 5 yard rule and reduce the 40 seconds and make it 20. And make the clock rule in the final 2 minutes to force teams to play. If they had bigger fields, I'd suggest 3 downs.

Even Trestman says the CFL rules are harder for coaches than the NFL as they are so well put together.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well South P, thats quite a friday platter of topics to munch on...... :cool:

The 49ers/Seahawks rivalry does seem to have grown. IMO, some of the fanchatter is similar to Riderfans versus any of the other western teams. The Seahawks have won ONE superbowl but some of their fans are certainly bragging heavy. A team like the 49ers has a history of success although they haven't won a championship in quite awhile. So, the fan rivalry is certainly RED-HOT. The players? I think players are always going to have a little more when its a team in your division. I hate it when the Lions lose. But, I think I'm going to hate the Lions losing to the Bombers EVEN MORE now that they are a western team again. Obviously the division is only part of it because the Seahawks DO NOT SEEM, IMO, to have the same kinda rivalry with either the Stlouis Rams or Arizona Cardinals.......
________________________________________________________________-
I do NOT want to see the elimination of extra points, simply because there needs to be a way to 'go for two', IMO. It is another one of those 'do they/don't they' type choices that come up at the ends of games.

I certainly WOULD NOT want the loss of field goals either. A missed field goal really does seem to be another one of those momentum shifts that games can turn on. I guess we'll see but I'll be betting extra points and field goals will both be parts of the NFL and CFL games for years to come.
South Pender
Legend

Damn, Red Bryant just signed with the Jaguars. (They were able to do this, by the way, because he had been cut by the Seahawks. Other free agents not yet released by their team can't accept an offer, officially, until Tuesday.) I was hoping the Seahawks would find a way to get him back. Actually Pete Carroll mentioned that as a possibility. Not any more. I would hope that this will strengthen their resolve to keep Michael Bennett.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Today is the last day in Packer dynasty week (part of dynasty month) on NFL network. Replayed Superbowl XLV, between the Packers/Steelers. Lots of stuff today on Vince Lombardi etc... They may even be replaying Superbowl XLV again before the day is done.....
Tomorrow is the start of Patriots dynasty week. I get why they qualify as they certainly have been on top (or close to it) for quite awhile. Be interesting to see what they show as all the other teams in dynasty month have had varied times when they have done well (Cowboys/Packers/Steelers). I am not sure there is a 49er week but they certainly should qualify, IMO, if the Patriots do....
Lots of interesting stuff happening this week on the player front. Obviously the 'free agent frenzy' begins, so I'm sure long-time stars in one place will end up collecting cheques from another team. The other neat thing is a lot of the colleges are having their PRO-DAYS. So, we get further blah-blah and numbers on a variety of guys. A lot of the names we hear now WILL NEVER be much in the NFL except for draft day. A lot of the names we won't hear, EXCEPT draft day are more likely, IMO to be the big stars. IMO, the NFL seems, as a result of the latest incarnation of its CBA, more willing to give later round draftees and undrafted prospects more of a REAL Opportunity than they have gotten in previous years.

For e.g. When Russell Wilson was drafted in a later round. Quarterbacks NEED to be drafted in the first round, right? Well, every so often you get your Tom Brady's and others who do fall and end up making a great go of it. But Wilson was even more exceptional because HE WON THE JOB IN TRAINING CAMP. That concept is what almost EVERY team says will happen. 'We are having an open competition and the best QB will start'. POPPYCOCK!!! but, in the Seahawks case it ended up to be true. Three out of the last four QB's to start in the Superbowl were not being paid ELITE salary for their position (Flacco, Kaepernick and WIlson). Flacco is now of course getting that level of salary and it seems to be choking off a lot of the options available to the Ravens.